Poll: Ebay mo****a, do you use it?
Poll Options
View poll results: Ebay mo****a, do you use it?
Yeah, frequently
43 31%
Yeah
55 40%
Eh
5 4%
No, only once in a great while
19 14%
Never. Don't trust it.
16 12%
Voters: 138.
Page 1 of 2
Hey guys, this is a thread for research purposes. My girlfriend runs a music shop, and in an effort to improve sales, she's heavily considered branching off into ebay. The only problems here, were what we should expect customer wise, and what they expect. We both know HOW ebay works , its more a matter of figuring out how common it is for guitarists to buy via ebay, and what you guys expect as far as customer service goes.

Would you mind giving input for us?

EDIT:

Keep in mind this is in reference to buying electric guitars, or guitars in general.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Last edited by valennic at Apr 23, 2011,
I haven't bought an instrument yet, and while I wouldn't rule it out it's unlikely for me to do so.

I do, however, buy pickups and accessories. Esepecially since eBay is the only place I can find still selling Tortex Fins.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
I only use ebay for music buying purposes every once in a while, but that's because I don't buy a guitar/need a guitar part very often.
I'm so happy. I get to eat a muffin.
Quote by space aids
You are so happy to eat a muffin it's kinda scary.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Goes around tryina light dudes on fire.
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

I tell a lie, there is no such thing.
Yeah, check for dealer credibility. I've never been burned.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I buy amps and other stuff off like NOS tubes.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
The only reason I bought my guitar on Ebay was because it is only made in Japan and not sold in the USA.
So the general consensus here seems to be amps and pedals and accessories are a yes, and guitars are generally a no?

I'll wait for some more results, but so far this is what I'm getting.

EDIT v thats exactly why I'm waiting

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Last edited by valennic at Apr 24, 2011,
Quote by valennic
EDIT:

Keep in mind this is in reference to buying electric guitars, or guitars in general.

I've bought a couple of guitars off ebay.
I'm so happy. I get to eat a muffin.
Quote by space aids
You are so happy to eat a muffin it's kinda scary.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Goes around tryina light dudes on fire.
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

I tell a lie, there is no such thing.
I use eBay often for both guitars and accessories. I typically prefer to buy used, and in auction format when possible because it saves me money. You can't really run a business on auction sales though. If I absolutely need something and can't wait for an auction, then I will buy something from a store at the best price I can find.

When buying from an eBay store, I always check the store's feedback, and make sure their shipping and return info is clearly listed.
Quote by farmosh203
The only reason I bought my guitar on Ebay was because it is only made in Japan and not sold in the USA.

Basically, this.
Everything I own except my peavy vypyr 30w was purchased from ebay
I just bought an 8 string off eBay today, and my father has bought guitars and pedals from it as well. BTW, get the fuck back on MC, the both of you. D:
Schecter Hellraiser C7 FR/Bareknuckle Cold Sweat/Liquifire
Godin A12 - For Sale
1991 EBMM Silhouette
Emperor 2x12

7+>6, ERG Legion

Like going fast?
i would definitely use it. but my expectations for buying off ebay are better prices. if you can outpace MF, or the bigger guys in price plus shipping then your already winning. being able to return it if i dont mesh with the guitar would also be preferred, and building your rep online will lessen that necessesity. and my preference - a buy it now, or best offer. if i want to buy something, i want to do it now, not wait 6 days and get outbid in the last 30 seconds.

pretty straightforward i think. good price, make sure its not mangled when it shows up, and if the guitars your selling are good instruments, then there shouldnt be any issues.
Only if 1 it's a proper shop, not just some random dude selling crap out of his garage, 2 the item is new, never buy used stuff without seeing it in person first, 3 it's a really good price, i.e. 20% of more cheaper than other online stores including shipping and 4 there's a good returns policy.

Something's got to be both an amazing deal and very clearly secure and legit before I'll even consider eBay, really.
I bought my H-301 off of ebay, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy from ebay again. I use Craigs List much more frequently though, because it's just a lot easier to barter, etc. But if the model I was looking for was on ebay, and the price was right, definitely I would.

I know this thread is about guitars, but I have bought from ebay probably hundreds of times over the years, and while only a very small percentage of that stuff is gear related, I trust ebay, and I use it very frequently. I've seen the site evolve through the last few years, and it's almost impossible to get scammed now. I never have any worries or concerns whatsoever about buying anything at all from ebay. I've been legitimately scammed like once out of all of my ebay transactions. And that was really just due to my lack of knowledge about the item. I can't see it ever happening again.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Apr 24, 2011,
bought two guitars from there. Bought my Ibanez blind, because the back of the body had a crazy design carved into the finish and was missing cavity covers. Looked like a dog, and no one wanted it. Got it for £70 so was worth a gamble.

Bought my Bandit from there as well because it wouldnt switch on and was £20 iirc.
Gear:
PRS Tremonti SE with PRS USA Tremonti pickups
2001 Ibanez RG470
Peavey Bandit 112
Fender Superchamp XD
USA Jackson SL1

If your sensible, check buyer feedback, research properly.

Ebay can be awesome, I bought all of the above off ebay for far far far less than retail, all in great condition and was able to sell nearly all of them for pretty much what they cost me.

Though read this for a good guide with buying guitars on eBay.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Last edited by Tom 1.0 at Apr 24, 2011,
I've bought three guitars off ebay so far (in the last two years):
-ESP EC-100QM (Black w/ fitted hardshell case) - $180 (Like New) - given to my brother
-PRS SE Custom 24 (Whale Blue) - $450 (Like New, and I've never been able to find this color)
-PRS SE Standard (Black w/ Gator hardshell case) - $230 (Like New)

I can definitely say I use ebay and will continue to do so--just check the seller and make sure you're protected with PayPal or something.
PRS SE CU22 | PRS SE CU24 | Takamine EG463SC
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster | Rectifier 212
Pitchblack+ | Bad Monkey | FAB Chorus | NOVA Delay
I'm happy to buy pickups and accessories from eBay, as long as they are coming from stores. I'd rarely buy something from an individual, especially if they don't give much information, are either too cheap or too expensive, or if they use comic sans in their ad.

I wouldn't buy a guitar, unless it was an amazing deal, because I believe that guitars are all unique, and even guitars in the same model line are going to have slight differences between themselves, and so you should always play before you buy.
Fender American Special Telecaster w/ Bigsby
Fender MIM Jaguar
Digitech Whammy-->Korg Pitchblack Poly-->Dunlop Cry Baby-->Danelectro Pastrami Overdrive-->EHX Big Muff Pi-->Joyo Digital Delay
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III Red October Edition
I use Ebay once in a great while.

I will never but a guitar or an amp from it, but I would dare to buy pedals/pickups from Ebay
Mesa/Boogie Road King v1
Marshall JMP 2203 '78
Vox AC30 H2 Heritage HW
Fender Deluxe Reverb '65 RI
Gibson Les Paul Custom '57 Historic RI '05
Fender American Vintage '52 RI Telecaster '02
Fender American Vintage '62 RI Stratocaster '07
I haven't bought anything off of eBay but, then again, I haven't really had the chance to do it yet.
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

i now buy MOST of my gear off of ebay.
great way to find good prices on new stuff thats slightly used or used guitars.
just got an epi goth g-400 with skb style case for $205 shipped

as everyone above has said, just do your research and you'll be fine
i dont buy guitars often but i check ebay to see i did however buy a new schecter last week for 220$ less than anywhere else brand new i see ltos of people bidding on guitars and such so people do look on there for ebay, ive lost a few gutiars to ppl outbidding me if starting new i guess only problem youll face is feedback, having none because as a buyer i always check feedback to see the track record
I've bought five guitars on eBay, A number of parts and one set of cheap bass strings. Two guitars were cheapies. I don't use eBay all the time, These days its usually to get something that I can't find somewhere else since my taste in gear isn't the most common.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
im constantly guying string and picks, just because its easier (and cheaper including P&P) than the petrol it costs going to the shops ... every penny counts!

Ive bought 2 guitars off eBay, the only thing that I've personally found with eBay, sometime the eBay shops are more expensive than the shops on the street... although the two guitars i bought i got for zee cheapz yo. ... yeah just make sure that your competitively priced, people generally go on eBay to find bargains and not spend "high-street" prices.
Quote by rgrockr
You can buy whatever guitar you want, you don't have to be at a certain skill level to buy one. This is real life, not some guitar-playing RPG where you have to unlock new guitars.
I've had bad experiences with Ebay. My first guitar (the Stagg in my sig) i payed £150 for with a nice hardshell case. Only to find that the neck was twisted when i bought it. I took the neck off (it was a bolt on) and a small piece of plastic was sitting to one side of the neck pocket, to partially compensate for the twist. Never again.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
I bought my Model 4 off Ebay, no problems.
Stuff:
ESP/LTD EC-200QM (with SD Distortions)
1986 Charvel Model 4
2013 Ibanez RG7421WH

Amps
Marshall MS-2 microamp (a POS)
B-52 LG-100a head (Not bad)

Pedals
Digitech Grunge distortion
Quote by valennic
Hey guys, this is a thread for research purposes. My girlfriend runs a music shop, and in an effort to improve sales, she's heavily considered branching off into ebay. The only problems here, were what we should expect customer wise, and what they expect. We both know HOW ebay works , its more a matter of figuring out how common it is for guitarists to buy via ebay, and what you guys expect as far as customer service goes.

Would you mind giving input for us?

EDIT:

I use ebay regularly. I would stipulate returns are at buyer's expense and only taken for defective instruments. Not for stuff like an improper setup.

Also - start with only a handful of instruments to see how they sell (also remember, price is going to sell your instruments on ebay and that alone). If she is selling an instrument via ebay, she has to price match the lowest 'new' prices. A good entry method would be to put a handful of new instruments up for bid auctions starting a $.99 - just to see how it goes.

Accessories wills ell much better than instruments I imagine.
Hey guys. I'm actually his girlfriend and all the input is greatly appreciated and I'll be taking it all into consideration

Just a couple points I should make. We're already testing the waters with one of our new items that we've been sitting on for a bit longer than expected, to make more room in shop. The guy above me makes a good point regarding price being the only thing giving us any advantage over anything else. That being said, to start an item that low would be incredibly unreasonable. Most of our distributors that provide us with instruments have a minimum price that we're legally allowed to sell our instruments. That, and as a small family owned business, we don't have money to throw away due to experimentation. We have to play it safe in terms of price, and make at least what we put into it.

Later on I plan on putting one of our used items on as a test. Most likely one we own ourselves, or one on consignment at the minimum price our consigner specified. For those items I plan on providing direct contact information, should a potential customer have questions, want to request pictures beyond what is shown (after one picture they start to charge as I've found out), or if they'd like to hear an on the spot sound sample or video. Thoughts?
Begin again in the night, let's sway again tonight.
Your arm on my shoulder, your cheek against mine.
Where can we go, when will we find that, we know.
I use Ebay a lot and so does a huge portion of the guitar buying community as as all you have to do is put in Fender and you will see over 4,000 guitars for sale. Also most stores sell on Ebay.
Quote by OceansBetweenUs
I use ebay regularly. I would stipulate returns are at buyer's expense and only taken for defective instruments. Not for stuff like an improper setup.

Also - start with only a handful of instruments to see how they sell (also remember, price is going to sell your instruments on ebay and that alone). If she is selling an instrument via ebay, she has to price match the lowest 'new' prices. A good entry method would be to put a handful of new instruments up for bid auctions starting a $.99 - just to see how it goes.

Accessories wills ell much better than instruments I imagine.

The $.99 cent start point works pretty well - just a thought - you definitely don't have to if you don't feel comfortable. A used Mesa single rec started at $.99 last week and sold for over $750+. A used Carvin V started at $.99 in a 3 day listing and ended at $550+. If the product has demand, the price will rise quickly.
Quote by sadSTATUE

Later on I plan on putting one of our used items on as a test. Most likely one we own ourselves, or one on consignment at the minimum price our consigner specified. For those items I plan on providing direct contact information, should a potential customer have questions, want to request pictures beyond what is shown (after one picture they start to charge as I've found out), or if they'd like to hear an on the spot sound sample or video. Thoughts?

If you have a reputable looking advert and a decent returns poilcy and you do free postage, you might find that you dont need to have drastically low prices,

the biggest issue you might find is the fact that you may initially have a low feedback rating unlike the stores that have 2000+ feedback,

but if you have a nice looking advert to links with your store and your just as open as you would be in reality, i dont see why you would have any issues.

as long as you have detailed photos, personally i wouldnt need a video, but thats just me

good luck though

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by OceansBetweenUs
The $.99 cent start point works pretty well - just a thought - you definitely don't have to if you don't feel comfortable. A used Mesa single rec started at $.99 last week and sold for over $750+. A used Carvin V started at $.99 in a 3 day listing and ended at $550+. If the product has demand, the price will rise quickly.

This is true, I will give you that. But for our purposes at the moment, the risk would be rather high, especially given what we have available currently don't meet a huge demand. Because we're a newer shop, we don't have the product availability that some bigger, more established stores might have. 'sall I'm sayin'

Quote by Tom 1.0
If you have a reputable looking advert and a decent returns poilcy and you do free postage, you might find that you dont need to have drastically low prices,
the biggest issue you might find is the fact that you may initially have a low feedback rating unlike the stores that have 2000+ feedback,

but if you have a nice looking advert to links with your store and your just as open as you would be in reality, i dont see why you would have any issues.

as long as you have detailed photos, personally i wouldnt need a video, but thats just me

good luck though

All points noted.
Obviously feedback will come with time, and as it progresses, I should be able to develop a better shipping situation

Thanks guys
Begin again in the night, let's sway again tonight.
Your arm on my shoulder, your cheek against mine.
Where can we go, when will we find that, we know.
I forgot, I've also bought recording interfaces, and my(now SYLs) parker off of eBay. I'd buy from you guys if I got Minecraft buddy discounts? (I'd buy from you even without it)
Schecter Hellraiser C7 FR/Bareknuckle Cold Sweat/Liquifire
Godin A12 - For Sale
1991 EBMM Silhouette
Emperor 2x12

7+>6, ERG Legion

Like going fast?
I bought my first 2 electric guitars from eBay, and I'm usually checking for any sweet deals. I often buy strings'n'things via eBay virtual stores that have an actual store
I have no aversion to using Ebay, but my inclination is to go local. I simply do not like buying a guitar sight unseen, the idea of it freaks me out a bit. that being said, a seller with a good history (ideally a real store somewhere, like you're thinking of) is my favorite way to get really specific stuff (such as my early 90's L-2500)
Quote by shaggydogJV
I forgot, I've also bought recording interfaces, and my(now SYLs) parker off of eBay. I'd buy from you guys if I got Minecraft buddy discounts? (I'd buy from you even without it)

We heard your request to return to server, probly sometime tomorrow we'll be on

And that'd be entiiiiiiirely up to ska, not me

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act