Hey bros, I've been more of a classic rock fan all my life and just recently starting getting into punk. Especially old school punk like Patti Smith, the Pistols, Dead Kennedys, Reagan Youth etc. As I've started to listen to conversations about punks greatest frontmen I never hear Sid Vicious brought up. IMO the guy was better than Rotten who rocks pretty hard in his own right. Is the fact that he died so young a reason he's not talked about in the same breath as Biafia, Rotten or Strummer or am I alone in thinking Vicious, who I hear wasn't very talented musically, rocked with the best of them? I realize I'm new to the scene and you guys have probably had these conversations a thousand times but I'd appreciate if somebody weighed in. Thx
it's probably because he didn't really contribute to the band anything but image
I'm a dude, he's a dude, she's a dude, we're all dudes HEY!
He was a junkie. He is more "cool" to people who are newer to punk, or into the "punk image". While he basically was the posterboy for 70s punk, he was pretty useless. The fact that he died young, IMO, makes people more prone to blow his contributions to punk out of the water. Sort of like Kurt Cobain, only he actually did something useful .

Quote by swarley
Sid Vicious was so bad they unplugged his bass during shows. Sure he was important to the band, but not musically.

He got considerably better towards the end of the Pistols. He was no Glen Matlock, though.
Last edited by due 07 at Apr 24, 2011,
Shit musician.

Great hair.

Also I finally saw the Simpsons' episode with the Sex Pistols bit and they totally left out the part where Sid probably murdered Nancy while strung out on "chocolate" then OD'd after he posted bail.

Go figure.
Quote by swarley
Sid Vicious was so bad they unplugged his bass during shows. Sure he was important to the band, but not musically.

That's about it. Sid was just an image, musically he sucked.
I'm so happy. I get to eat a muffin.
Quote by space aids
You are so happy to eat a muffin it's kinda scary.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Goes around tryina light dudes on fire.
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

I tell a lie, there is no such thing.
Quote by Robbin'TheHood
That's about it. Sex Pistols was just an image, musically they sucked.

Fixed.

The whole premise of this thread is kind of confusing. Judging by Sid Sings, I don't see how one could consider him anything more than an average frontman.

He may not often be spoken of in the same breath as Joe Strummer and Jello Biafra (BTW omitting first names doesn't make you seem cooler), but the sort of people who drop names such as Darby Crash and GG Allin appreciate him quite a bit.
Quote by due 07
Fixed.

I beg to differ. Glen was a great musician (kind of the reason he had to leave), and Steve Jones was a really good guitar player. Rotten was not really much of a musician, he just had a really awesome voice.

Apparently Sid wasn't a bad drummer though.
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
Shit musician.

Great hair.

Also I finally saw the Simpsons' episode with the Sex Pistols bit and they totally left out the part where Sid probably murdered Nancy while strung out on "chocolate" then OD'd after he posted bail.

Go figure.

I still doubt quite a bit that Sid killed her.
Quote by iwannabesedated
I beg to differ. Glen was a great musician (kind of the reason he had to leave), and Steve Jones was a really good guitar player. Rotten was not really much of a musician, he just had a really awesome voice.

I know haha. I totally agree with the point on Matlock. Shame he liked Paul McCartney. On Steve Jones, he's actually a huge influence on my playing style, so I can't knock him there. And Johnny Rotten has one of my favorite voices ever. I can't vouch for Sid . I just said that for teh lulz, I guess. I don't listen to them much anymore, but Sex Pistols were instrumental (lolpun) in my musical upbringing.
Quote by iwannabesedated
I still doubt quite a bit that Sid killed her.

Guess we'll have to consult my new USA network dramady TV creation the Punk Rawk Detective (tentative name as I'm sure something like Watching the Detective would play better)

By day he solves crimes for the NYPD in 1970's New York with his sarcastic orthodox Jewish side kick, by night he does heroin at CBGB's and plays bass in an electro punk band.

It's basically already syndicated.
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
Guess we'll have to consult my new USA network dramady TV creation the Punk Rawk Detective (tentative name as I'm sure something like Watching the Detective would play better)

By day he solves crimes for the NYPD in 1970's New York with his sarcastic orthodox Jewish side kick, by night he does heroin at CBGB's and plays bass in an electro punk band.

I'd watch that.
Quote by Iluvpowerchords

even though this isn't saying much, i know, this would easily be the best show USA network has put on in years.
Quote by Iluvpowerchords

You have to make this.
FUCK YOU! GET PUMPED!
Quote by Mack56
even though this isn't saying much, i know, this would easily be the best show USA network has put on in years.

Burn Notice is good...
Quote by iwannabesedated
Burn Notice is good...

Psych is better.

Though Burn Notice does have the greatest actor of all time, Bruce Campbell.

But Psych is still better.
FUCK YOU! GET PUMPED!
Quote by iwannabesedated

Yes, but the band was made to look cool and try and cop the hype that the NYC punk bands were getting.

That's how I've seen it portrayed at least.
Quote by SuperBlob
Psych is better.

Though Burn Notice does have the greatest actor of all time, Bruce Campbell.

But Psych is still better.

Yeah Psych is still great. It's probably my favorite show. I think one of the major reasons I didn't take to drink with great enthusiasm is that I never wanted to do anything Friday night cuz I'd always have Monk and Psych to watch

I watch Burn Notice too. The far fetchedness of the plot solutions is appealing.

USA's formula for new shows seems to be either some kind of spy person or a person in a high status yuppie job who doesn't play by the rules and I haven't been too thrilled with any of it.

More eccentric (non procedural) detectivery is needed. And maybe some moustaches.
He's got this good moment as a "frontman":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIXg9KUiy00

And that's about it. He is really only so iconic now because he was pretty and died young. Don't get me wrong, I like the pistols and I like Sid Vicious, but they mainly get a lot of credit from people who don't know much about punk, and don't know how many better bands and musicians there were around the same time and place.
Last edited by sargasm at Apr 25, 2011,