We were discussing "states of consciousness" in my psychology class the other day when the topic of sleep deprivation came up.

I'd never really thought of sleep deprivation as being a state of consciousness in the same way as getting drunk, high, or hypnotized would be. However, over a long period of time, not getting enough sleep can be terrible for your health, emotional stability, and cognitive functioning ability.

So, UG, I thought it'd be interesting to document our collective sleep debts. There's a sleep debt calculator at this link, so we can see how much of a sleep debt we're really racking up. Sleep debt is accumulative up to approximately two weeks; how much debt are we in at the end of one week?

Assuming that I need 8 hours of sleep a night in order to function properly, I'm gathering almost 21 hours of sleep debt a week. Crazy.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
Sleep was my favorite thing we studied in Psychology. Super badass.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
That calculator is ****ed. Says I have no sleep debt if I sleep 5 hours a day.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by valennic
That calculator is ****ed. Says I have no sleep debt if I sleep 5 hours a day.

??

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
Quote by MusicalMinority

??

Last night I got 11.

On a daily basis, its closer to 5. Meaning on a weekday.

It does not work that one correctly ;_;

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

I am 3 hr. 25 min. in debt.
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
Quote by lagoon380
i practiced sleep in psychology. . . . . .

You need to practice sleeping?
Dude, you suck.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Damn you, bodyheatseeker

Quote by Paramore.
bodyheatseeker, I will NEVER forgive you.

I sleep about 3-4 hours during the week, but usually make up on the weekends (fri night/sat night) without about 12 hours of sleep and i function well. I will say lack of sleep can cause emotional problems. I was getting 3-4 hours of sleep with some all nighters last spring and went through a huge depression. (I was also abusing adderall to keep myself awake and focused that may have had an effect one me as well).
We have to do a project for my psychology class. Mines on sleep deprivation. My brothers have volunteered to be sleep deprived. Should be fun!
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
My sleep schedule is weird. Sometime sI'll sleep from 4 to 12 for 5 days straight, then I get 3 hours. The next night I get 14. If I couldn't go to sleep I'd just stay up until the next night.
Sleep debt is a myth.
UG FORUM
Your 21st Century Ant Farm
Corroborating Sturgeon's Law Since 2003
Quote by Sewe Dae
Sleep debt is a myth.

Evidence?
Quote by Athabasca
My ex did the same. Cheated on me and then acted like I'd given her sister a facial. Women are retarded.
Sleep deprivation is the cheapest drug. You start to trip balls.
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
Quote by BrockTandem
There is no evidence that it does exist.

I guess it is true. A shit jaguar can't change it's spots.

Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
Quote by Stryker125
I don't sleep much, and I know I should, I just cant. its becoming a problem

This. :\
STಠ_ಠ
**** that. I need 10 and a half hour tonigh. Luckily it's the second day of easter tomorrow and thus, no school.
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Hehe... I once racked up over 20 hours of sleep debt in 2 nights, apparently.
As it is right now I have a sleep debt of 3 hours and 31 minutes. My neighbors had a party last night so I fell asleep at around 4 o'clock and woke up at 8. I usually sleep for 7 hours and my body is trained for that.

Thankfully I have all the way until September to sleep it off.

Also, I once went to school after 48 hours of no sleeping. It's all fun and games until your teacher transforms into Superman and starts explaining the fuel economy of unicorn horns.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Last edited by PsiGuy60 at Apr 24, 2011,
Quote by hawk5211
I'm an engineering student, so i'm basically the poster child of sleep deprivation.

I'm an engineering student too but I am not sleep deprived
Quote by Snowman388
Evidence?

Logic. As humans mature from infancy to adulthood, they need fewer and fewer hours of sleep per day in order to function normally. If the sleep debt theory is true then this would mean that every adult on earth should be an exhausted wreck with thousands of hours of sleep debt.

The sleep debt idea is an oversimplification; the truth of what happens when one's sleep is disturbed is a more complicated, and involves one's normal long-term sleeping habit and the adjustment of one's circadian clock, both of which affect -- and are affected by -- short-term sleep deprivation.
UG FORUM
Your 21st Century Ant Farm
Corroborating Sturgeon's Law Since 2003
Quote by Sewe Dae
Logic. As humans mature from infancy to adulthood, they need fewer and fewer hours of sleep per day in order to function normally. If the sleep debt theory is true then this would mean that every adult on earth should be an exhausted wreck with thousands of hours of sleep debt.

The sleep debt idea is an oversimplification; the truth of what happens when one's sleep is disturbed is a more complicated, and involves one's normal long-term sleeping habit and the adjustment of one's circadian clock, both of which affect -- and are affected by -- short-term sleep deprivation.

Pfft that could've been off Wikipedia!

WHERE IS THE REFERENCING!

Quote by Athabasca
My ex did the same. Cheated on me and then acted like I'd given her sister a facial. Women are retarded.
I got 15 minutes of sleep last night, so now my total sleep debt is 16 hours and 42 minutes.
I usually get 4-6 hours of sleep per night on weekdays, though, and over 14 on weekends.

I find it hard to sleep for exactly 8 hours - it's easy for me to sleep for <2 hours or >10, but nothing in between.
cat
I don't know what I consider a full night of sleep. D:

EDIT: And it doesn't calculate anything if you oversleep massively. Shouldn't it?
Last edited by Miniskirt at Apr 24, 2011,