Just out of curiosity which is the preference as far as overal quality, a lower end fender or a higher end squire? I only ask because we're talking similar price points and over a few topics seen it go back and fourth on the same budget. So which one is preferred? Also say we're comparing two teles or two strats to keep this simpler.
Alright, I own alot of fender products, so I can chip in on this.

The affinity Squiers, with upgraded pickups, good tuners, and a good setup blow a MIM Fender standard out of the water. I have 2 $300 Squier Affinities (one tele and one strat) that cost me 200 to buy and 100-125 in parts, and they play as good as the mexican fenders and sound miles better.

For me, the high end squiers are not worth the cash over the low end ones, since they only seem to use marginally better components. That being said, the fit and finish is overall better on the high end squiers (often better than the MIM Standards) but so long as you can play the guitar before buying it, you can get away with the cheap ones providing you can pick out a good one. However, an upgraded MIM Fender standard will blow away an upgraded squier, simply down to the body and neck, but it will cost more.

I've gone on a bit of a tangent here, but basically to QC on the mexican fender standards has been poor in my experience, and the high end squiers are better on that front. However, if you get a good Affinity (really cheap) Squier, and change out a few key parts, they are the best bang for your buck out there.

Hope this helps.
yeah I'd go the lower end fender. General construction would prob be better than one made in some little (or big ) asian country
i prefer low end Fender to Squier. Fender uses better materials (woods, hardware) then Squier.

So yeah low end Fender.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Quote by hawk5211
Alright, I own alot of fender products, so I can chip in on this.

The affinity Squiers, with upgraded pickups, good tuners, and a good setup blow a MIM Fender standard out of the water. I have 2 $300 Squier Affinities (one tele and one strat) that cost me 200 to buy and 100-125 in parts, and they play as good as the mexican fenders and sound miles better.

For me, the high end squiers are not worth the cash over the low end ones, since they only seem to use marginally better components. That being said, the fit and finish is overall better on the high end squiers (often better than the MIM Standards) but so long as you can play the guitar before buying it, you can get away with the cheap ones providing you can pick out a good one. However, an upgraded MIM Fender standard will blow away an upgraded squier, simply down to the body and neck, but it will cost more.

I've gone on a bit of a tangent here, but basically to QC on the mexican fender standards has been poor in my experience, and the high end squiers are better on that front. However, if you get a good Affinity (really cheap) Squier, and change out a few key parts, they are the best bang for your buck out there.

Hope this helps.

Actually I lucked out there. I have a beautiful affinity tele that I love to death and plays like a dream. I will never get rid of it as its my best guitar ever. My former teacher(used a tele custom) loved how it played and my wife (who only plays american series strats) has enjoyed it as well (and comlimented it). I was asking out of pure curiosity then shopping motive.
this is the wood they used for the lower end (MIM) fenders
several pieces of alder and a card stock veneer
Last edited by SKArface McDank at Apr 24, 2011,
Oh, how lucky of me. I was wondering the same thing recently. Squier Standard vs Fender MIM. I'm going for the big headstock look, probably won't be cheap from Fender.
If resale value is of importance, I would go with the MIM. Otherwise, I suggest you try a Classic Vibes Squier, I hear theyre SOLID for the price and name
Personally i'd go Squier Classic Vibe rather than a MIM Fender, there's something about them that makes them that much nicer. If you can try one you might get what I mean, it is sort of hard to justify a Squier over a Fender.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by HamDen
Oh, how lucky of me. I was wondering the same thing recently. Squier Standard vs Fender MIM. I'm going for the big headstock look, probably won't be cheap from Fender.

I assume you're talking the '70s headstock, if so, then one from Fender would be one of the American Specials. More costly than a MIM but definately worth the jump.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by Eppicurt
I assume you're talking the '70s headstock, if so, then one from Fender would be one of the American Specials. More costly than a MIM but definately worth the jump.

But I'm a poor college student D: A Squier Standard will run me about ~220 new. I think, as long as it plays well I'll be satisfied. I don't have an ear for amazing tone anyway
low end fender definitely dude. Pick up a 90s one off craigslist or at a pawn shop.

Thats a much better deal than the squire. Ive tried them both.

You cant compare a modified squire to a standard MIM fender. thats a ridiculous comparison. Of course if you change pickups the sound is going to change, and if you get pickups that are better than the ones that originally came with the MIM then its gonna sound better.

That argument is like saying Buy a Honda Civic over a Honda Civic Type R, because I put in a Turbo now its alot faster than the Type R.

Get a mexican strat and put in some duncan pickups, that setup is a very potent combo.

On another note, based on my experience Squres arent great guitars. They are ok or decent. I have a squire jazz bass and ive played actual fender jazz basses, the difference is big. They are made of different woods so the genuine fenders are alot lighter than the squire models. The wiring is also alot better in the actual fenders than the Squires, I replaced my Pots and I was disgusted by the stock wiring, its really poor quality and cheap. My guitar kept going out of tune, I looked at the head stock, and the screws that hold the tuners in place had ripped out of the head stock.

If i had to do it all over again I would have just gotten a Mexican fender. That said I bought it to learn and its served its purpose for gigging im gonna get something better
Quote by Twist of fate
Why must the fat die young
Quote by HamDen
But I'm a poor college student D: A Squier Standard will run me about ~220 new. I think, as long as it plays well I'll be satisfied. I don't have an ear for amazing tone anyway

dude for 300 you can get a MIM strat off craigslist, or even from guitar center's website under used gear.

Its worth the wait and the extra saving to get a good mexican. They really are the best deal out there for a beginning or budget guitarist, that likes that fender tone.
Quote by Twist of fate
I ordered my MIM from a GC in florida for $250 + taxes and shipping

also to what reggaebassman said,
It's not as easy as he makes it out to be to find a 90s MIM.
People always want way too much for them.

Also, Im guessing his horror story was based on a Squier from a starter pack or a cheapass squier...
Definitely try a Classic vibes, those are the ones that compare with MIMs, but it all comes down to feel
Quote by SKArface McDank
I ordered my MIM from a GC in florida for $250 + taxes and shipping

also to what reggaebassman said,
It's not as easy as he makes it out to be to find a 90s MIM.
People always want way too much for them.

Also, Im guessing his horror story was based on a Squier from a starter pack or a cheapass squier...
Definitely try a Classic vibes, those are the ones that compare with MIMs, but it all comes down to feel

my bass wasn't from a starter pack. To be fair i did buy mine used. So i mean its what to be expected.

Mine is a late 80s Jazz Bass. Sound wise its pretty good, but weight and quality wise it isnt.

To be fair again the darn thing has held up pretty well considering its 23 years old.... And it only has fret buzz on one fret, the highest G note on the low E

Ive played a couple squire strats and ive never found one that impressed me.
Quote by Twist of fate
Last edited by reggaebassman at Apr 24, 2011,
Quote by HamDen

I own two MIM Fender basses.

2000 Jazz and a 2008 P bass. The jazz cost me 270 bucks after tax and shipping, the P bass cost me 318 after shipping and tax.
You really can not go wrong going used especially when it's Fender.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Lets be honest.. On an aesthetic level, the MIM says "Fender" on its headstock. The Squier only says "Squier". There really won't be a great difference in guitar, but at least the name will be right.
Fender American Special Telecaster w/ Bigsby
Fender MIM Jaguar
Digitech Whammy-->Korg Pitchblack Poly-->Dunlop Cry Baby-->Danelectro Pastrami Overdrive-->EHX Big Muff Pi-->Joyo Digital Delay
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III Red October Edition
Quote by omentremor
Get a Cole Clark strat. Much better option

They cost as much as Fender American Deluxes...

I would go for the high-end Squier. Fender's Standard MIM series don't have the best quality parts. The reason Squiers have such a bad reputation is because the Bullet and Affinity series - the ones people see most often - are total garbage. I'd go for a Deluxe or VM myself, though the Classic Vibe series are well-liked as well. As hawk said, the fit and finish is generally better on the Squiers than on the low-model Fenders. They usually come with better pickups, too.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
Quote by SKArface McDank
If resale value is of importance, I would go with the MIM. Otherwise, I suggest you try a Classic Vibes Squier, I hear theyre SOLID for the price and name

the classic vibe squiers are very solid guitars. i would take one of those over a lot of the MiM fenders i have played. more attention is paid to the details of the build, so i have found they feel a lot better. most of the recent MiM fenders i played had some issues with playability or had some problems with the fit and finish (rough frets, cracked finish, rough spots on the neck, etc). the classic vibe squiers didnt have these problems. they at times felt like they were cheaper instruments (they are) and had some hardware that would be good to replace. but they played better to me.
Quote by jof1029
the classic vibe squiers are very solid guitars. i would take one of those over a lot of the MiM fenders i have played.

Quote by Eppicurt
Personally i'd go Squier Classic Vibe rather than a MIM Fender, .

+1 or 2 or w/e

i was thinking of grabbing a cv tele for some time. there's one at my local shop with an insanely flamed maple neck.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Apr 24, 2011,
I have a high end squire p bass. It was better then most mim standards I have played stock. After the installation of a Seymour duncan spb3 it rivals american deluxes in terms of tone
Quote by Bag'ed
Hahaha, any paticular reason why the bassist needs to be female or are you just noncing?
You know, school girl and all that, 14-17?
Man, just get out your School of Rock DVD out and crack one off, don't go ruining young girls virtues!
When it comes to similar build quality and components, I'd take a MIM Fender over most Squiers. If only for resale value. Fender goes pretty cheap used but not as cheap as Squiers.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
Quote by gregs1020
+1 or 2 or w/e

i was thinking of grabbing a cv tele for some time. there's one at my local shop with an insanely flamed maple neck.

Quote by gregs1020
and it's pine. :cheers

and i love you guys. i need a cy bass...
They're bringing out a 50's CV Tele in Butterscotch Blonde instant want. It has the proper brass saddles and everything.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
I'm wanting some fender style axes to give me some more variety with all my superstrats haha and i'm really tempted to after summer when i get my student loan just buy a CV tele and strat.
few thoughts...

Badge = Resale Value
Fender > Squire
Used > New

I bought a late 80's MIJ for less than $500. And some say they are better than the American Strats of the same period. Personally, I'd get a MIJ. Skip The MIM/Squires. But I am biased. I feel mine plays and sounds as well as some $2200 New American Strats I've played in the last year. Not Better, but Just as well. Save a little and get a MIJ for cheaper than $500. Then if you want to upgrade pu's tuners ect you'll be restoring an old guitar so to speak.
Me too. Plus used gear is better value. Its more interesting. Its just better to let some one else pay the big bucks for nice shit then let it trickle down. My current rig is just under $1500 investment. Cheap imo for what I got..
Quote by caw1
few thoughts...

Badge = Resale Value
Fender > Squire
Used > New

I bought a late 80's MIJ for less than $500. And some say they are better than the American Strats of the same period. Personally, I'd get a MIJ.

i have a nice mid 80's MIJ strat, it's a nice strat agreed.

didn't pay anywhere near $500 for it though.

but let's say you could get a $500 MIJ or a new CV Squier? ($349)

tough call, but there is a reason you don't see a ton of classic vibes on clist and MIM strats are posted for less than 1/2 the retail.

finding a MIJ fender or squier is a good idea. but finding one in great shape without fretwear is another story completely.

i see your point though and i like old guitars a lot.
Quote by gregs1020
i have a nice mid 80's MIJ strat, it's a nice strat agreed.

didn't pay anywhere near $500 for it though.

but let's say you could get a $500 MIJ or a new CV Squier? ($349)

tough call, but there is a reason you don't see a ton of classic vibes on clist and MIM strats are posted for less than 1/2 the retail.

finding a MIJ fender or squier is a good idea. but finding one in great shape without fretwear is another story completely.

i see your point though and i like old guitars a lot.

How much did u pay for yours?
Quote by caw1
How much did u pay for yours?

I paid $400 for a mid 80s MIJ '62 RI, about a year ago. it is a great guitar, but i'd say that's as much luck as knowing what to look for.

i have been playing for a long time and know what to look for when checking out a used guitar. i'm sure there are things i don't know to look for but i can't expect (or briefly explain to a newer player) all the things i look for in a used guitar. it can be risky, there are a ton of sqiuers with MIM necks etc out there and someone can be easily fooled.
i'd recommend the TS grab a new CV squier and decent hard shell for about what i paid for the used guitar with no case.