Hi. I'm a relatively new player, and I have an issue with a piece of gear I had a friend modify for me. I paid him to install on/on/on toggle switches to get series/split/parallel configurations out of my dual humbuckers. The problem is, he just used the switches he had on hand instead of buying new ones, and the ones he used are on/OFF/on switches, so instead of getting series/split/parallel, I get series/off/parallel, with a slight boost to the parallel setting. My question is, since it was the split coils I wanted most anyway, would it be possible to simple re-arrange the wiring and get series/off/split? It seems possible but I'm very new to wiring and modifying guitars myself. Any help would be appreciated.
The "off" position is going to give you lots of hum. If you want no sound to come from your guitar (ie. Killswitch) then you need to send the hot signal to ground, not interrupt it. The off position will give the same effect as unplugging your guitar and just having the exposed cable connected to the amp.
Quote by Ice4600
The "off" position is going to give you lots of hum. If you want no sound to come from your guitar (ie. Killswitch) then you need to send the hot signal to ground, not interrupt it. The off position will give the same effect as unplugging your guitar and just having the exposed cable connected to the amp.

I know, the "off" position as it stands isn't completely silent. It seems to be until you start adding gain to it, then the single-coil sound starts coming through. I have no idea what causes this, but I think I'll try sending the hot signal to ground like you said. I didn't exactly WANT a killswitch, so much as I ended up with it. I can rewire it in about ten minutes but I was trying to avoid installing all new switches for the time being, so I decided a split-coil with a little bit of a boost would be preferable to the negligible difference I get from series/parallel. I'm going to give a shot at one of the diagrams up there and see what I can do.