as a musician ive always been thinking wether, if your playing a live show do you want to put on a good performance or play your music solid.???

whats your opinion on the matter?
move around and enjoy yourself as much as you can without playing terribly.

id rather hear music played well with boring musicians than see a bunch of bumbling idiots on stage that can hardly get through their set.
solid playing should always come first. think about it - who would you respect more, some boring, non-rocker fool who can play all his songs with accuracy and emotion, or some idiot who thrashes around like a rock star but sounds like crap?
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
I hate when people just stand their and maybe do a slight head bob every couple of minutes, but if they sounded like crap I wouldn't like that either.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Elite
Squier Strat
Fender Acoustic
Line 6 POD XT-Live
Blackstar HT-1 Combo
Playing tight is always a must, however with moving around etc its depends on how much the music demands it. Its not a one answer fits all situation
Dig a tunnel of light through ignorant walls
I'd say you need both. Being an awesome player who stands at the back isn't going to get you noticed a lot, just make sure you don't over do it. I always thought a performance has to fit in with the image of the band, yeah, it's that superficial imo :P
For me personally I expect a live show to be just that, a show - I want to some energy, dynamics and a little bit of danger. That being the case I think it's preferable to have a 6/10 for the music and a 6/10 for performance as opposed to a 9/10 for the music and a 1/10 for performance.

I just feel that if people are showing you support by travelling to see you then you owe it to them to give them something to look at. You don't need unicorns or exploding cabbages but you should be engaging and aware of your audience. If I wanted to hear a perfect rendition of a song I'll listen to the recording, that's what it's there for - part of the thrill of a live show is in the immediacy and potential spontaneity of it all.

I saw a battle of the bands once, and one of the acts were a decent-enough metal band, but for most of their mini set the entire band was facing away from the stage looking at the drummer. They weren't trying to be cool either, just incompetently inconsiderate of their audience.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
it depends on my mood, fridaynite I played a show, I'm still in pain from it and I screwed almost every song at least once mostly from pic drops my guitar falling off knocking the mic on my amp over ect, then there will be some where I'm just not feeling it so I don't kill myself jumping around and nail every song.
Quote by steven seagull
For me personally I expect a live show to be just that, a show - I want to some energy, dynamics and a little bit of danger. That being the case I think it's preferable to have a 6/10 for the music and a 6/10 for performance as opposed to a 9/10 for the music and a 1/10 for performance.

I just feel that if people are showing you support by travelling to see you then you owe it to them to give them something to look at. You don't need unicorns or exploding cabbages but you should be engaging and aware of your audience. If I wanted to hear a perfect rendition of a song I'll listen to the recording, that's what it's there for - part of the thrill of a live show is in the immediacy and potential spontaneity of it all.

I saw a battle of the bands once, and one of the acts were a decent-enough metal band, but for most of their mini set the entire band was facing away from the stage looking at the drummer. They weren't trying to be cool either, just incompetently inconsiderate of their audience.

I disagree. You DO need exploding cabbages!
i played a few songs in front of like a hundred people at school and i more or less walked around. i think i didnt really get into it because the crowd just sat there. and then i think well they dont really like my music and what not.
also i was told thats it better to put on a good show by not standing there and actually getting to music. but it seems like that isnt the case?
Metallica? Is it shiny?

Quote by cornmancer
I will warn you, I have an incredibly large penis, and I am prepared to beat you to death with it.
Quote by Jaksen123
as a musician ive always been thinking wether, if your playing a live show do you want to put on a good performance or play your music solid.???

Go for performance everytime. People dont tend to notice errors in playing live and Im pretty sure would rather be entertained.
Quote by Jaksen123

Depends on the crowd, but i say do what feels natural dont fake it. That crap can be intimidating the first time.
Quote by Twist of fate
Why must the fat die young
do both. i (usually) do not want to see a band, standing there, looking down and playing their instruments. then again, I do not want to see a band jumping all over the place, and have their music sound like crap because of it. You should be able to play accurately AND put on a good show.
all the best.
(insert self-aggrandizing quote here)
Quote by Jaksen123
i played a few songs in front of like a hundred people at school and i more or less walked around. i think i didnt really get into it because the crowd just sat there. and then i think well they dont really like my music and what not.

Ha, its funny that you say that because thats pretty much what I did at the talent show last year.
I'm going to give you the annoying but true answer - A mix of both. You can't just be standing there playing perfect or jumping all over but barely playing the actual song- you have to have the medium.

You can miss some notes here and there, because if you are jumping around and having fun too, most people won't care.
Both
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.
Quote by Jaksen123

I think you should be yourself. If part of what you have to offer is an energetic and/or visually interesting presentation, then you should do that.

If you don't have that though, It doesn't mean that you couldn't still put on a good show.

IMO a great musical performance is entertaining on it's own.

Trying to run around and act cool out of some obligation to your fans could end up looking unnatural, and make you look stupid.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Apr 25, 2011,
play well. hire strippers.

it's 4 ugly guys on a stage. no one's there to watch you dance awkwardly. i mean, if you're james brown or jimi hendrix, do your thing, but people still listen to mozart, and nobody's dancing in the orchestra pit.
Last edited by brothertupelo at Apr 25, 2011,
playing tighter than a nuns pussy, i say always be prepared to play accurately then, when your confident and you know all your songs note for note put some excitement into it and some feel! loosen up that holy pussy. pour some blood of christ up on that shit!
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
TS 808 modded tubescreamer
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble
ISP Decimator
1998 Marshall JCM2000 DSL 100
Quote by Jaksen123

This is america. Entertainment is the industry. How do you entertain? through stimuli. Both audio and visual stimuli.

Ergo: you need both.
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
just saying this from saving the forum from another thread. when you make your own songs. do you tend to make a song then add lyrics or do you write lyrics then create a song based with the lyrics? this always messes me up :S
Metallica? Is it shiny?

Quote by cornmancer
I will warn you, I have an incredibly large penis, and I am prepared to beat you to death with it.
first question, both, you need to entertain the non musicians and you need to show off to the other musicians

then your next question:

either or....

sometimes I come up with a chord progression then come up with lyrics, and other times I write lyrics, then hum the melody and figure it out on my guitar, then I figure out the key, write some chords under it and bam another song.....
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
just gonna say.. you can go absolutely nuts and still nail your songs.
i jump around headband waaay to hard do guitar spins all that jazz.
and i dont miss notes to often very rarely actually... just y'know, know your parts subconsciously.
Stage presence is very important. Do what's natural to you doesn't work for most. You won't make it up with great musical performance.
Even with classical guitarists presence means a lot. They have their pose, accent the notes with their faces - you can see they put their whole body in it. When you're standing with your shoulders down staring at the sheet in front of you and maybe tap your foot once or twice on a rock gig -thats just wrong. It looks like you just don't care about the music and honestly you will never play your best acting like that.

Also if you start your gig like a dead squirrel it will be hard for you to change that during the show. You have to pump yourself up at the start and be very alive during the first song. If you start off dead for 3 songs and then start bouncing for the chorus of your 4th song THAT will look unnatural. Your legs will be stiff, you won't play relaxed. By the 5th song you will be even more glued to the spot asking yourself is it cool to step forward for the solo because your plan didn't work. And that great solo you practiced perfect imagining yourself alone in the spotlight, will become a bunch of missed notes and poor pitched bends.
I know Lucifer so well I call him by his first name...I say, "Hey Lou!"