Hey UG'ers...

Im new to bass guitar...

I wanted to know of some good light weight bass guitars for heavy metal...
also which is good for heavy metal, pbass or jazz bass?

thx in advance

\m/
Lightweight for metal... the first thing that comes to mind in an Ibanez SR.

P basses and J basses would both be fine for metal.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Ibanez SR are pretty light.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Yamaha RBX4 or RBX5. Light as a feather and they play very well.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
The best lightweight bass for metal is and always will be one thats pointy.

I kid, I kid. P bass man, you can't beat that growl.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
P and J basses aren't exactly light.

You're better off going for an active bass. Passive basses are usually (note, i said usually) quite heavy, as most of the tone comes from the woods it's made from, and in order make the most of it the bodies are usually larger to let the sound resonate more. Active basses have a pre amp built in to shape the tone, so don't necessarily need to quite so big and heavy.

I'd recommend looking at Spectors, they have a great snarly tone for metal and are quite light weight.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
i would recommend the aerodyne jazz bass if you can afford it. it is a great lightweight bass that sounds amazing.

also ibanez SRs and spectors are nice and light aswell.
My Setup:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass,
Fender USA Jazz Bass
Hartke LH1000,
Hartke Hydrive 410,
Sansamp BDDI,
Electro-harmonix Black Finger Compressor.
The Schecter Raiden is made of basswood, also is great quality for the $$. Ibanez SR's are great for the brutalz too. Spectors are great. I was very lucky to find a used 1991 Carvin LB20 for $300. Ebony fb, and jumbo stainless frets aid in it's ability to cut-thru. I am not a fan of active myself (too sterile imo) I prefer the organic tone of Burton and Steve Harris. But many metal bassists do use a pre-amp; it's up to you.
<Insert Witty Comment Here>

1981 Fender Lead I Seymour Duncan humbucker, Mesa BoogieIIIRectifer, MKIIRhodes,PRS
P bass. P bass. P bass. They are heavy but I have played stingrays that weigh a lot more, you can't beat p bass thump and growl.
Quote by Bag'ed
Hahaha, any paticular reason why the bassist needs to be female or are you just noncing?
You know, school girl and all that, 14-17?
Man, just get out your School of Rock DVD out and crack one off, don't go ruining young girls virtues!
Quote by fleajr_1412
P and J basses aren't exactly light.

You're better off going for an active bass. Passive basses are usually (note, i said usually) quite heavy, as most of the tone comes from the woods it's made from, and in order make the most of it the bodies are usually larger to let the sound resonate more. Active basses have a pre amp built in to shape the tone, so don't necessarily need to quite so big and heavy.

I'd recommend looking at Spectors, they have a great snarly tone for metal and are quite light weight.

Actually my MIM Fender P is actually quite light. A lot lighter then some other basses I've played.
Quote by FatalGear41

Weight is subjective. I'm 6 foot 2, go to the gym three times a week and can handle a P bass just fine. But I wouldn't want to go through an hour and a half set with it, especially if I was gigging a couple of nights a week. I doubt that the averaged middle aged man wouldn't feel the same too.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Weight depends entirely on the individual piece of wood. Basswood is always a good bet for light weight, but there's so much variation between individual bodies.

I'd add a Traben to the growing list. The basswood ones are very light, the Attack and Chaos models all have active EQ's, and they're generally and excellent value for the money. Pretty much anything mentioned in this thread so far though would be a good bet. Go start trying out basses.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by fleajr_1412
Weight is subjective. I'm 6 foot 2, go to the gym three times a week and can handle a P bass just fine. But I wouldn't want to go through an hour and a half set with it, especially if I was gigging a couple of nights a week. I doubt that the averaged middle aged man wouldn't feel the same too.

Well I'm 5'10 and I'm a nerd with little to no upper body strength at all and my P bass is light enough that I can toss it around with one hand.
Quote by FatalGear41