Page 1 of 2
LostLegion
32CSM
2,216 IQ
Do think bands like slipknot, mushroomhead and hollywood undead should wear masks, or do you think that it just makes them look weird. Opinions please.
andras67
skeptical
736 IQ
I think it's fine it's the way the liked it, I don't see why it could be bad as long they are making good music, if you see a band with masks with badass songs you're going to say that's cool, but if they wear masks and they suck sure you're going to think that they're pretty lame
Quote by Våd Hamster
Fuck yes you are the best poster ever

do you wanna hear a little piano composition I have just made?, I promise it don't totally sucks, you can hear it on my profile, any feedback would be really appreciated -C4C
Last edited by andras67 at Apr 24, 2011,
GangsterLi
Wake Up The Sleepers!
3,253 IQ
Lame
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
CydoniaKnight95
327 IQ
It IS a gimmick but it does look kinda cool
It gives them a recognizable image and draws people to listen to their music, which has to be good enough for people to keep listening
So i don't mind them but it would be gay if everyone did it
reggaebassman
93 IQ
KISS wore masks. KISS.
K...I....S....S

Seriously if that doesn't answer your question I dont know what will.

Masks are for clowns
Quote by Twist of fate
Why must the fat die young
Johnny Quest
60 IQ
if they want to be anonymous and dont to be recognized on the street with their family and so on, then yes if thats the reason. but as soon as when everybody knows what they look like, then they might as well leave the masks off.
BlacksailsTippa
Dead Milkman
191 IQ
Quote by Johnny Quest
if they want to be anonymous and dont to be recognized on the street with their family and so on, then yes if thats the reason. but as soon as when everybody knows what they look like, then they might as well leave the masks off.

Actually, I don't have to contribute anything to this thread but this: Thanks for reminding me of a certain Less Than Jake song
sjones
UG's Analrapist
2,068 IQ
It's dumb, overplayed, and makes your band look like amatuerish douches.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
NotFromANUS
Naturalist
1,434 IQ
Quote by sjones
It's dumb, overplayed, and makes your band look like amatuerish douches.

The phantom of the opera wore a mask...
due 07
haaan
2,902 IQ
I can't think of a single good band that wears masks regularly.
phoenix_crush
Former Registered User
1,130 IQ
KISS had make-up, not masks. and they ruled. and my opinion on masks depends on the band. if you're playing crappy metal at bars with a mask on, you will look like an ass.
lolmnt
Earth of the Butt
4,159 IQ
Quote by due 07
I can't think of a single good band that wears masks regularly.
Nobunny wears a mask

And so did the Mummies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0SO_ssijo0&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pxEieRaGmA

Masks are fun. Live shows are supposed to be fun. As long as the band doesn't suck, I don't know why wearing masks would be an issue.

In fact, if I'm ever in another band I'm going to wear a mask.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
theogonia777
Miss Kristen
2,141 IQ
Quote by element4433
Masks are fun. Live shows are supposed to be fun. As long as the band doesn't suck, I don't know why wearing masks would be an issue.

this. if the band is good it's fine. and i'm gonna start a brutal/technical death metal band that wears Plague Doctor costumes, it's gonna be sweet!
Quote by Hal-Sephira
Shut the mother#%$& up, $^%got. You have a #$%^ing terrible muther&@$#ing taste in %#$@ing music, @&%$ing movies and %&$#ing video games. Every time I see you on the forums, you are always saying something overrated and some $@&#ing sh*t. You are just mother$^@%ing ignorant as a whole.

Get a #%$@ing life or you will get banned for life.

Quote by Arby911
Kristen is very open-minded; believes that everyone is entitled to her opinion...

Quote by NirvanaLuvr16
omg its better than i imagined... so dark and cozy and warm...

Read this please. This as well.
due 07
haaan
2,902 IQ
Quote by element4433
Nobunny wears a mask

And so did the Mummies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0SO_ssijo0&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pxEieRaGmA

Forgot about Nobunny. Never heard of The Mummies before, but they were cool.

I guess I was thinking mostly in the context of the 'badass' mask. Like Slipknot or something. Their are a couple other bands I can think of that wear masks or something similar, but just in a goofy way. Nothing really wrong with that, it's only when you are wearing a mask to be scary or badass or something.

Like Nobunny and The Network... I see them as wearing masks in the way the Devo wears those silly hats.
slipknot5678
UG Monkey
670 IQ
It adds to stage presence and identity. Sometimes it works, somtimes it is just gimmicky.

inb4 "lol guy with slipknot username doesn't hate masks"
BK202
The Shape of Jazz To Come
614 IQ
I was actually expecting a response like: "But guys, Slipknot wears masks, and theyre teh br00talz.", or something to that magnitude.

I applaud you for having a coherent and intelligent opinion. Especially because, no offense, most Slipknot fans can barely form a legible idea without referring to Slipknot as "the greatest band of all time ever."
Eddy~
guitar dude
208 IQ
To me it kind of denotes the notion of playing as yourself.
An artist should represent theirself and putting on costume when it's not due kind of eats away from that.
Oi! Me dog Sally needs to drop:

|-4---|
|-5---|
celestialelixir
The Watcher
122 IQ
I will assume 'masks' extends to facepaint/corpse paint as well. I honestly don't really care that much, since it's all for the band's image, and I generally don't care about how they are seen as much as they are heard.

Sure, some shitty bands like Slipknot and Hollywood Undead dress up. But so do some of the most badass bands like Behemoth, Immortal, and Mr Bungle.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Special C-7 FR
Peavey Vyper 60W Tube
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
Last edited by celestialelixir at Apr 26, 2011,
asator
whatever
525 IQ
Quote by celestialelixir
I will assume 'masks' extends to facepaint/corpse paint as well. I honestly don't really care that much, since it's all for the band's image, and I generally don't care about how they are seen as much as they are heard.

Sure, some shitty bands like Slipknot and Hollywood Undead dress up. But so do some of the most badass bands like Behemoth, Immortal, and Mr Bungle.

My name is Danny. Call me that.
timostrike
70 IQ
I dont like masks because they're hiding sth.
i like it when i can see the people who make the music.
Excepted when i hear the music: for example when i hear slipknot, i like the music very much, but i would never go to a live concert of them.
My meaning

PS: Sorry for the bad english, i am german
due 07
haaan
2,902 IQ
Quote by BK202
The Locust does it to terrify audiences and intimidate new listeners.

Quote by luis6268
The Locust does it to terrify audiences and intimidate new listeners.

Srsly?
BK202
The Shape of Jazz To Come
614 IQ
There have been automated trolls recently that just copy and paste something that other people say. It's weird.
TheIrishPatriot
206 IQ
They do it to terrify posters and intimade new members.
Ohai.

Actually from Canada.
due 07
haaan
2,902 IQ
Quote by TheIrishPatriot
They do it to terrify posters and intimade new members.

'93
1,110 IQ
its depends on the band...if theyre fun and stuff its ok, just fooling around and stuff

but i hate the whole metal thing that they have to look scary...they just look like douches
Willowthewitch
Geek Grrl
134 IQ
Quote by reggaebassman
KISS wore masks. KISS.
K...I....S....S

Seriously if that doesn't answer your question I dont know what will.

Masks are for clowns

Kiss didn't and still don't wear masks. They wear makeup not masks.

IMHO makeup masks and that sort of thing are gimmicks.

Which is fine if the band is actually worth listening to eventually they'll drop the gimmick

Kiss preformed several years without the makeup.
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847 Bad Monkey
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
marco136669
17 IQ
Quote by GangsterLi
Lame

i don't think its lame but for some people its hard to digest because most people listen to bands jus because their vocals is nice or guitarist looks cool or something like that so wearing masks is a way of asking people "listen to us because u think our music is awesome, not because we are awesome" im just trying to explain my point of view k...