budget: up to £700

styles of music interested in playing: Blues, Surf, Post-punk, shoegaze, alternative rock.

I'd be using lots of big muff, delay, trem etc.

Right now I'm looking at a MIM strat, or jag. If any of you have more interesting or better suited suggestions, I'd be down to take a look around before making a purchase.
You have $1150 and youre looking at a MIM...?

you could definitely get an american standard for that much..
Quote by SKArface McDank

this.
Quote by Våd Hamster
Fuck yes you are the best poster ever

do you wanna hear a little piano composition I have just made?, I promise it don't totally sucks, you can hear it on my profile, any feedback would be really appreciated -C4C
Another one I was considering was the Tele Deluxe Classic Player. It's about the price of the Jaguar I believe, and has a strat-style bridge.
Don't worry about the Jaguar unless you've actually played one. that 24" scale really isn't for everyone, most people find it awkward. If you like the idea of a Jag then you NEED to go play one first. If you have already played one then really you should already know whether you like it or not.

The 72 Tele Deluxe is a pretty good option. Anything with those Fender Wide Range pickups would be suitable. It might be hard to find one for under £700 though, they're usually a bit over that. Same goes for the 72 Thinline and the Thinline Deluxe.

You might want to look at the Classic Player Jazzmaster. It's got the same kind of body shape as the Jaguar but is regular 25.5" scale and Jazzmaster pickups would suit what you play, they're kind of like P-90s. I think that comes in at just around £700, I'm not sure which side of it though.

If you really can't stretch to over £700 and you can't find any good deals on the above guitars then I'd say go with a Baja Telecaster. It's got a soft V shape neck which is good for thumb-over chording - not so good for shred but I doubt you'll be doing much of that - and it has an S-1 button and a 4-way switch so you can have the two single coils either on their own or parallel, series, parallel and out of phase or series and out of phase. That's a broad spectrum of tone options. The Baja Tele usually comes in at around £500 and has Fender Custom Shop pickups, usually the only thing anyone bothers to upgrade are the strap buttons to proper strap locks and sometimes the bridge saddles to compensated ones. There's a really good demo of it HERE and that guy also has a good demo of the Tele Deluxe that you should watch.

Quote by SKArface McDank

We're not that lucky. If a guitar is $1000 in America it gets priced at £1000 here. It's not fair considering the exchange rate but that's how it is. So a Brit with £700 can buy guitars that are priced up to $700 in America. Sometimes we'll get a $750 or $800 guitar over here for £700, if we're very lucky and the shop wants to move stock quickly. The rest of Euopre is the same too and Australia and Asia have it even worse. Basically everyone outside of America gets really dicked on prices.
Quote by grohl1987

Thanks for the informative post!

When I mentioned the deluxe, I had looked at this one which weighs in at just under 700. At the moment I'd probably be going with that vs HSS strat vs Jazzmaster, as it's one I had considered.

The Jag, I have played before. If I am honest though I noticed very little difference. I suppose that's more a negative though, as I am more likely to find something I don't like later on lol.
That Tele's a pretty good find at that price then, pretty sure the hardtail version usually costs fifty or sixty quid more. I personally would take that over the HSS Strat, the Wide Range pickups have a tone kind of in between a regular humbucker and a P-90 or overwound Strat single coil and the expanded tone/volume controls give you more options than the Strat does really. You can pretty much flip a coin between the Tele Deluxe (with or without trem) and the Jazzmaster, the JM has a couple more switches on top but really they're about the same, the look is the biggest difference. Or like I said, do consider the Baja Tele, it's not terribly exciting but it is the best value and most versatile guitar Fender makes.
Looks like I have some testing to do then. The Baja Tele is much cheaper at £550. If I'm not getting any more quality or functionality for the extra £150 then I can't really justify getting a deluxe or JM purely on the cool factor.
Can anyone comment on whether I should add the Gretsch G5235T to my current list? It is of course gorgeous, but is it versatile?
Blues and Surf? -> Stratocaster. If I were you, I'd just buy the most expensive Strat I could get. The punchy Surf sound comes from the Strat's pickups (or the Jag's).

Gretschs (especially the Hollowbodies) are really great for Country, Western, Jazz, Blues, Rockability, and while they can do anything, doesn't necessarily mean they should. The Electromatic series pickups, though wonderful clean and with light overdrive, are much less defined with distortion and fuzz (like everything, I guess).

Also, if you're really trying to get a nice Surf tone, you will want a tremolo.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by kangaxxter
Blues and Surf? -> Stratocaster. If I were you, I'd just buy the most expensive Strat I could get. The punchy Surf sound comes from the Strat's pickups (or the Jag's).

Gretschs (especially the Hollowbodies) are really great for Country, Western, Jazz, Blues, Rockability, and while they can do anything, doesn't necessarily mean they should. The Electromatic series pickups, though wonderful clean and with light overdrive, are much less defined with distortion and fuzz (like everything, I guess).

Also, if you're really trying to get a nice Surf tone, you will want a tremolo.

Ah I see. I am probably mostly going to be switching a lot between tremolo/reverb drenched sounds and immensely fuzz-filled noise-rock breaks.

I suppose the gretsch wouldn't be suitable. Even if they are ****ing gorgeous!

Right now it's looking sort of like a HSS strat. Either new MIM or used American.
Quote by Grawgos
G&l Sc-2

I have no clue where I would find one of these. :P

Right now I am looking at a Strat, Jazzmaster or Jaguar. If anyone could try my best to tell me why I SHOULDN'T get each of these, it would do me a great favour. I already know what's good about them, what's bad?

Also, how's the Road Worn Player/Highway 1 series?
Last edited by kaneorsomething at Apr 24, 2011,
Quote by kaneorsomething
I have no clue where I would find one of these. :P

Right now I am looking at a Strat, Jazzmaster or Jaguar. If anyone could try my best to tell me why I SHOULDN'T get each of these, it would do me a great favour. I already know what's good about them, what's bad?

Also, how's the Road Worn Player/Highway 1 series?

I would take the Road Worn over the Highway 1, though both are excellent guitars. The H1 is American-made with a nitro finish, but the original Road Worn series are some of the best playing guitars I've ever played, plus they have better pickups and don't have the CBS Headstock (I personally hate that). I'm not sure about the Road Worn Player Series; they debuted this winter, and I haven't tried them yet.

Both are great guitars.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
wouldnt ordering a guitar from the US with expensive shipping be less expensive than buying one there?
Instead of 1.5-2x the price it's only like $100 or so more?
Last edited by SKArface McDank at Apr 24, 2011,
Oh boy. It's looking like one of those at the moment. I have to admit the highway one has my eye at the moment, purely because I'd love an american made, especially at this pricepoint.

If the road-worn is superior though, I suppose that is irrelevant?
The final shootout is looking like this.

Fender Highway One Stratocaster HSS £601
The Workhorse
Pros:
-Can play anything.
-Good build quality.
-Decent tremolo system.
-Goddamn versatile.
-American Strat for like half the price.
-Fairly cheap.
-Easy to modify if there's anything I don't like
Cons:
Not the best looking guitar of the bunch.
A little overdone.

Gretsch G5122DC Electromatic Hollowbody Double Cutaway £622
The Looker
Pros:
-Beautiful
-Very cool
-I like the neck.
-Pickups are supposedly great sounding. I will try one out soon.
-Great blues guitar, which will probably be the main direction I end up taking.
-Bigsby tremolo
Cons
-Possibly unsuitable for surf, and the overdriven, volatile, garage-rock esque blues I like to play
-bit of a wild card
-Heavy, big guitar

Fender Classic Player Telecaster Deluxe With Tremolo £693.00
The Crush
Pros:
-Frankly, I have always wanted one.
-Strat-style Tremolo.
-I love the looks
-It's a tele with humbuckers
-Fender Wide-Ranges
-It's a tele
-More or less what I would make if I could put a guitar together
Cons
-It's ANOTHER tele
-I don't actually have a clue how this plays, honestly.
-I don't know what the difference is between the Classic Player and the 72.

Fender Mexican Standard Stratocaster HSS £401
The Cheap Date
Pros:
-Fender Strat
-Cheap
Cons:
- The worst guitar here.

comments?
Trying looking for a used MIJ Fender and using the rest of your dough to hooking it up right.
Quote by kaneorsomething
The final shootout is looking like this.

Fender Classic Player Telecaster Deluxe With Tremolo £693.00
The Crush
Pros:
-Frankly, I have always wanted one.
-Strat-style Tremolo.
-I love the looks
-It's a tele with humbuckers
-Fender Wide-Ranges
-It's a tele
-More or less what I would make if I could put a guitar together
Cons
-It's ANOTHER tele
-I don't actually have a clue how this plays, honestly.
-I don't know what the difference is between the Classic Player and the 72.

comments?

The only difference really is the trem. The regular 72' is a hardtail.

IMO opinion I think this guitar would suit your need perfectly. My 72' plays like a hot knife through butter. It's so smooth and sounds amazing. If you have to opportunity to play one, do it because I'm sure you'll love it.

Also, you can never have too many teles.
Quote by Carmel
Lucky I'm a girl and I don't give a damn.

Quote by darkwolf291

I've seen her kill a man with a spork and a rubber band
No one is safe from the wrath of Batgirl!
Yeah I'm considering that one too. I dunno, I was hoping to keep it at around the 600 mark as I'm pretty poor, but it doesn't seem like that's going to happen.

I wish I could say I wasn't still really tempted to get that ****ing gretsch...