Hey guys looking at buying a new head and cab, torn between 2 at the moment, just wwant something with kickass tone, kickass dirtys and good cleans and gonna last a long time!
My other guitarist is using the 410h love the sound of it, but i have always had a soft spot for Peaveys, havnt heard the 6505 yet but wondering what ur opinion is of what is gonna last the longest without technical trouble

Cheers UG Community!
what genres do you play?
when you look used, you can get much better amps for the same money..
where do you live?
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
Quote by Tunder250
when you look used, you can get much better amps for the same money

not really.

the peavey is pretty much a one trick pony, i'm actually in the process of getting rid of mine. making the switch to mesa.

in terms of versatility and features, i don't think you could get much better than the jvm for the price. it's a better live amp than the peavey, and you get much more bang for your buck.
Quote by Tunder250

Quote by haz_uk
not really.

Care to elaborate? I don't know what you mean because you can quite obviously get a used amp for as much or less that then price of a new one (Marshall JVM410 for example) that is going to be miles better...
Quote by Tunder250
what genres do you play?
where do you live?

This. If you plan on buying new there are alot of options to choose from mesa, evh (look at these if you are concidering a 6505) engl to name a few but given the choice between the two hands down the marshall jvm. Also if your pick a peavey for the love of all that is holy do not get their matching cab new.
Quote by haz_uk
not really.

YES!

the JVM 410 is here 1300 euro for the head only...

used, you could get a dual rec for that amount
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
You have basically got a britished voiced amp (marshall) v an american voiced amp (peavey). Both are great quality amps by big brands, but they are not that similar in my opinion.

I believe the marshall is the more versatile of the 2.

What are some bands and styles you like to play?
Peavey 6505 is a very heavy amp but doesn't do anything remotely close to good blus (imho) but it will churn out the big distortion with very nice roundish kind of sound.

The Marshall JVM is just a really good all-round amp but maybe the distortion isn't as heavy as the 6505. That's just my opinion of "heavy" though, they both have very comparable amounts of distortion.

Also the 6505 cleans are dodgy (the notes don't really "shimmer"), but the JVM's are only average :/

Mesa cleans are the best imho (I have not played Fender amps to any considerable degree)
Im in a thrash metal band....but also love too play my heavy stuff
Quote by HpiJim
Im in a thrash metal band....but also love too play my heavy stuff

Im going to disagree with the poster above me, and say JVM.

The classic thrash metal sound was created by a Marshall jcm. The JVM is like an updated version of the jcm, though its not exactly the same. Its the amp Dave Mustaine uses now.

6505's are common with more modern metal bands, death and black metal bands and hardcore bands. Machine Head, Bullet for my Valentine and Job for a Cowboy use them I believe.

Maybe list some actually bands you like best =)
Dual recto or axe-fx
il go with the latter one
Gear:
Peavey 6505 120W Head
Ibanez Rga32 (FOR SALE)
Laney Lv412a Cab(FOR SALE)
Soon To Get::
Boss DD20
Morley Bad Horsie II
Quote by jkielq91
Im going to disagree with the poster above me, and say JVM.

The classic thrash metal sound was created by a Marshall jcm. The JVM is like an updated version of the jcm, though its not exactly the same. Its the amp Dave Mustaine uses now.

6505's are common with more modern metal bands, death and black metal bands and hardcore bands. Machine Head, Bullet for my Valentine and Job for a Cowboy use them I believe.

Maybe list some actually bands you like best =)

I was just about to say the exact same thing, stole the words from my mouth

TS, you already said you've played a jvm410, and like it....why not just get it then?
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
Quote by Guitar Sushi
In that case I'd suggest the 6505.

6505 is for modern metal...

i would look at the 800 instead of a JVM
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
what about blackstar and bugera? just found some ones for good prices....im in australia
Quote by HpiJim
what about blackstar and bugera? just found some ones for good prices....im in australia

A Bugera 1990 (with a boost) or a 333XL will fit your needs well, but the quality will be very different to Marshall or Peavey. You will get a really good tone though. If you can comfortable afford to go Marshall, go Marshall.

You could also look at some Laney's or Orange amps for a good thrash tone.

Im not very familiar with Blackstar.
Last edited by jkielq91 at Apr 24, 2011,
If you're in Australia and want thrash tone look at Laney AOR, Carvin X100B and Peavey Windsor. Unless you have a spare $2000 to drop Orange is pretty much out of the question although I wouldn't recommend one for thrash as they tend to be very dark.
Quote by Tunder250
YES!

the JVM 410 is here 1300 euro for the head only...

used, you could get a dual rec for that amount

Then you just go used on the jvm and its cheaper...

Plus TS is in AUS

TS it depends on what sound you're going for. If you're going for a generic modern metal sound the 6505 is what you want but if you want a modern marshall type sound with quite a bit of flexability (some love it some hate it) then the jvm is what you want.

There is other options it depends what you want from an amp.
A perfect example of the JVM's tone is Megadeths Endgame album as they used it exclusively.

I am guessing Machine Head used 6505's on The Blackening, but maybe not exclusively.

But those albums are good sounds to compare to compare what the amps can pull off.

What are Engl prices like over your way? You could check out the Fireball, Powerball, Savage and Blackmore.
Quote by jkielq91
A perfect example of the JVM's tone is Megadeths Endgame album as they used it exclusively.

I am guessing Machine Head used 6505's on The Blackening, but maybe not exclusively.

But those albums are good sounds to compare to compare what the amps can pull off.

What are Engl prices like over your way? You could check out the Fireball, Powerball, Savage and Blackmore.

the prices are really screwed up in AUS...
i would wait til the australians are online xD
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
Quote by haz_uk
the peavey is pretty much a one trick pony

Not really.

You obviously have no idea how to work that amp, or are playing with a guitar that has pickups that are wayyyyy too high of output.

Also, you're using a 1960, G12T-75s sound like ass with that amp.

Quote by haz_uk
i don't think you could get much better than the jvm for the price. it's a better live amp than the peavey.

According to what? Maybe if you like a can of bees being directed at your listener's faces. The 6505+ will slice through a mix like nothing.

The 6505+ will obviously excel at high gain, but is completely capable of getting a good clean tone, and a lighter gain tone on the Crunch setting. The JVM really only shines in lower to mid gain, where you could buy a Marshall that does that tone much better. Its high gain is fizzy, muddy, and too modern for a Marshall IMO.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Guitar Sushi
Peavey 6505 is a very heavy amp but doesn't do anything remotely close to good blus (imho) but it will churn out the big distortion with very nice roundish kind of sound.

I really have to disagree here. I absolutely love the blues tones I get out of my 5150. Especially if you're like me and you like your blues dirty... it's incredible.

Also ditto to the above 2 ^^
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
its only time until we all change our minds on the satch jvm. noise gates and lower gain, lower volume and less fizz and compression on the gain channels. It actually seems like a really good jvm.
check out the 6534+ too by peavey, it has better cleans and is a tad more versatile, and the gain channel imo is sooo much better
JVM410H and 6505 head are about the same price here - about $2.5k. The 6505 is a couple of hundred less give or take. The 6505 is what you want and it's a tad cheaper, go with the Peavey. Listen to Matrix Claw, once again he's bang on the mark.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Listen to Matrix Claw, once again he's bang on the mark.

he is always right
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
Quote by Seanthesheep
check out the 6534+ too by peavey, it has better cleans and is a tad more versatile, and the gain channel imo is sooo much better

I hate that amp. And I disagree with you on all 3 points. A 6505 with el34's is just wrong.

But TS might like it.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I see threads like this all the time. I have a 5150 II, and with the right eq and pedals...I'm able to get just about any tone I want out of it.

Check out my band! Endeavor

Fender American Deluxe Telecaster (little 59')
Peavey 5150 II
Orange PPC412
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Monster Power Pro 900
Korg Pitchblack Pro
Sennheiser EW 172 Wireless
Carvin 6 space rack
Quote by Offworld92
I really have to disagree here. I absolutely love the blues tones I get out of my 5150. Especially if you're like me and you like your blues dirty... it's incredible.

Also ditto to the above 2 ^^

6505 is not at all the 5150
Quote by Guitar Sushi

I have to disagree with you. I've owned a 6505 + and now a 5150 II.
They sound the same. They are the same amp. There might be MINOR differences, but that is because of different parts inside. For example...Peavey may be using a different brand of transformer/tubes/wiring/ect. , than when they were making the 5150s. But even then...you can EQ any 5150 and 6505 series to sound identical.

Check out my band! Endeavor

Fender American Deluxe Telecaster (little 59')
Peavey 5150 II
Orange PPC412
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Monster Power Pro 900
Korg Pitchblack Pro
Sennheiser EW 172 Wireless
Carvin 6 space rack
Quote by AxSilentxLine
If you're in Australia and want thrash tone look at Laney AOR, Carvin X100B and Peavey Windsor. Unless you have a spare $2000 to drop Orange is pretty much out of the question although I wouldn't recommend one for thrash as they tend to be very dark.

Maybe it's just me, but I can never get a good thrash tone outta my Carvin x100b, but I am also not a wiz at EQ'ing.

This is the sorta thing to look at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Marshall-JCM-800-2205-50-Watt-Head-/290559453528?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a6b16958
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Guitar Sushi

The 5150 is the 6505. Down to the very last circuit. This has been brought up on UG a ridiculous amount of times. You can compare the schematics. They are exactly the same amp.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Guitar Sushi

same amp.

they changed the name to celebrate their 40 or 50th anniversary and because EVH left their artist rooster so they had to change the name anyway.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
same amp.

they changed the name to celebrate their 40 or 50th anniversary and because EVH left their artist rooster so they had to change the name anyway.

40th, thus '65 - '05
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com