Hello everyone, this is the first thread iv started and just wanted some opinions.

Iv bought a Marshall class 5 head (modded by RAT amps) of ebay for £399!
I was looking to buy a normal class 5 head (i was slightly put off by the lack of an fx loop) but when i saw this i coludnt resist considering a new class 5 head costs around £330 new. its got an added fx loop, output power reduction, variable boost footswitch, Master Volume Control, '3x Bias' -and- '3x Gain' Switches, Modified 'Tone Stack' and a Dedicated 'Line Out' Socket.
Im thinking its gonna sound rather nice with my marshall 1936v, i already have a RAT modded valve junior head which sounds awsome.
it should arrive in the next few days and i will try and post some kind of review.
Doesn't the new one have most of those features?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
^ I wonder does RAT maybe upgrade some of the components?

Let us know what it's like, anyway. Heard good things about RAT but haven't tried them.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by gregs1020

maybe but can the normal class 5 do RATT?
not real well on it's on in my experience.

does most things pretty well though, cool amp.

Quote by Dave_Mc
^ I wonder does RAT maybe upgrade some of the components?.

i would wager that they do.
yeah that's what i'd have thought too
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by gregs1020

I think the standard head only has master volume and 3 band eq, no fx loop.
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ I wonder does RAT maybe upgrade some of the components?

Let us know what it's like, anyway. Heard good things about RAT but haven't tried them.

they upgrade some components i think but not many in the class 5 cause its quite good quality to begin with. i think with the black heart amps and the epi vj most of the components are upgraded, it said something about it on the RAT website.
Quote by theTMG84
I think the standard head only has master volume and 3 band eq, no fx loop.

yea no fx loop. but here is the info released a few months back at namm. it's avail in head or combo, has a headphone jack that is also a low vol out, similar to the studio 15.

12/04/2011

Marshall have updated their flagship small tube amplifier - and now introduce the new Marshall Class 5 C5-01 Amplifier with a new home-friendly design.

The Class 5 MKII (which will simply be known as Marshall Class 5 from now on) now features a "low volume" output mode - as even 5w is very loud for home use. We expect that you will have the option to cut the power output so you can get saturated, high gain tones from the Class 5 without excessive volume.

Additional internal design improvements have been made to the Class 5 including improved cabinet construction for better resonance, despite the compact cabinet.

Also new from Marshall in the Class 5 range - a Class 5 Head & Cab. The Marshall C5H Class 5 Head has the same features as the current combo and can be paired up with a Marshall C110 1x10 cabinet or a number of other Marshall cabs.

Last edited by gregs1020 at Apr 26, 2011,
Nice!
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Quote by theTMG84
they upgrade some components i think but not many in the class 5 cause its quite good quality to begin with. i think with the black heart amps and the epi vj most of the components are upgraded, it said something about it on the RAT website.

ah ok, thanks
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
the amp arrived today, it sounds pretty sweet. it works well with my maxon od808. il submit a review after iv used it a bit more. i want to use it at a band rehearsal with my drummer and bassist first to see if it cuts it.
Quote by theTMG84
the amp arrived today, it sounds pretty sweet. it works well with my maxon od808. il submit a review after iv used it a bit more. i want to use it at a band rehearsal with my drummer and bassist first to see if it cuts it.

congrats, looking forward to hearing it. thaks for posting back.
^ +1
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Just used the amp for a band rehearsal with drums and a bass, only had it on about half volume! it kicks ass! gonna write a full review asap
Quote by theTMG84
Just used the amp for a band rehearsal with drums and a bass, only had it on about half volume! it kicks ass! gonna write a full review asap

Wow, you have a very quiet drummer.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Wow, you have a very quiet drummer.

Hes not a huge banger but hes pretty loud! i am running it through a 2x12 marshall cab and the amp is just far louder than youd expect.