Has anyone used these before?

What do people think of them? I'm thinking of investing in the complete set to bolster my foundations as a bass player, improve my theory and learn the basics of sight-reading.

Is this book more useful to one aspect of bass playing/musicianship than another? (and if so, which areas?)

Also, would anyone recomend any other books for this purpose?

Thanks in Advance,
Josh
I started using the first book a while back, but since its really made for beginners it became really boring. I found another book that was more for cementing your bass skills and it was really awesome for practice but I cant remember the name of it for the life of me.
i have the complete bass method (all 3 books spiral bound together) and it seems really solid.
but i bought it at the same time i bought my first bass (about a month ago) so i had no prior bass knowledge and not much to compare it to. however it covers everything ive ever heard about bass from sight reading sheet music to tab to eventually advanced techniques like slapping and popping. all in all it's really not hard to teach yourself with the book and it's really comprehensive.
if you can already play decently I'd say probably skip the first book, maybe the second too, if you can't read music then they will be a help, and can familarize you with the names of notes of the fretboard more, but there isnt a whole lot of theory there, can't speak for book 3 though
Hal Leonard are generally well rated round here. I used the accompanying tabs as the first songs i learned. Playing along with the CD's was a big help. The advantage of most of the Hal Leonard tabs is their accuracy. They are pretty accurate although they may be simplified. You can spend a while learning the tabs off this site only to find that someone made a mistake and the bit you found tricky was in fact just wrong.

Books will only get you started but of all the beginner books I'd say the Hal Leonard books are the best of the bunch.

Good Luck
Cheers Phil. Like I said I'm considering these to enhance my foundations of playing technique and theory. I've been playing for about 2 years now and I think before I can go on to progress any futher I need to cement my playing at the level I'm at, to make sure going into more technical or advanced stuff (theory and technique wise) I don't get overwhelemd.

Are there any other books or resources that you could recomend for this (preferably not Internet based!).

Cheers
If you're going to want to learn a certain style (e.g. funk, reggae, blues, etc.) I suggest you get a book specifically made for that style. In my experience I've found that books that cover multiple subjects are often lacking in depth.
Quote by Assasaurus
If you're going to want to learn a certain style (e.g. funk, reggae, blues, etc.) I suggest you get a book specifically made for that style. In my experience I've found that books that cover multiple subjects are often lacking in depth.

Great! Any in paticular for looking into Blues, Funk and general theory?

Cheers
Quote by Puppet_616
Great! Any in paticular for looking into Blues, Funk and general theory?

Cheers

For Funk I've got a book called The Total Funk Bassist (link). The 1st chapter covers basic stuff such as tuning, standard music notation, basic technique etc. The second chapter covers basic concepts like syncopation, muting, note articulation, etc. Chapter 3 covers scales such as major, natural minor, melodic minor, etc. Chapter 4 is mainly about chords, triads, 7th chords, & major/minor scale diatonic harmony, etc. Chapters 5-7 go from starter fingerstyle to advance fingerstyle. Chapter 8 features an overview of slap & pop technique. Chapters 9-11 go from basic to advance slap & pop style. Chapter 12 features various song in the style of, but not limited to Stevie Wonder, Rick James, James Brown, Jaco Pastorius, Sly & the Family Stone, Bela Fleck & the Fleckstones, etc.

I haven't had the chance to work my way through the whole book yet, but I've enjoyed it so far. I find it to be well thought out and a good learning tool. I appreciated that it covered various parts of music theory before getting into playing style. As for blues and general music theory, sorry can't help you there. Hopefully this gives you a good idea of what is covered in the book.
Quote by Assasaurus
I haven't had the chance to work my way through the whole book yet, but I've enjoyed it so far. I find it to be well thought out and a good learning tool. I appreciated that it covered various parts of music theory before getting into playing style. As for blues and general music theory, sorry can't help you there. Hopefully this gives you a good idea of what is covered in the book.

That sounds great tbh! I'll definatley look into it