Poll: Which speakers in a Vox AC30?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which speakers in a Vox AC30?
Green-back
11 32%
Blue
23 68%
Voters: 34.
I've pretty much decided that I'm going to get an AC30 next year, as my Line 6 Spider III just isn't cutting it. As soon as I have the funds, I'll upgrade. BUT, do I get the tonally better Blue speakers, or the cheaper Green-back speakers?

From what I've been told, the Green-backs are still better than your average speaker, and are still custom Celestions. They are also around $400 cheaper. But the Blues have the absolute classic tone. Sure, you may not be able to hear that tone when you mix in bass and drums, but for private playing its still there.
Fender American Special Telecaster w/ Bigsby
Fender MIM Jaguar
Digitech Whammy-->Korg Pitchblack Poly-->Dunlop Cry Baby-->Danelectro Pastrami Overdrive-->EHX Big Muff Pi-->Joyo Digital Delay
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III Red October Edition
Play both and see which you like better. I'd rather have the Alnico Blues, but $400 is a lot of money to waste if they end up not being as amazing as you thought.
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
The correct answer is one Weber Silver Bell (Greenback) and one Weber Blue Dog (Alnico blue). You can pick the wattage, doping, and magnet type for both, and they're cheaper and sound better (to me) than their Celestion counterparts.
Two blues from Scumback.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Thanks for the ideas guys. I could do a mix of the two, but I'd need to get one of them as a basis. I had a quick look on eBay, and it would cost as much to buy a Green-back amp and one blue speaker as it would to get a preloaded blue amp
Fender MIM Jaguar
Digitech Whammy-->Korg Pitchblack Poly-->Dunlop Cry Baby-->Danelectro Pastrami Overdrive-->EHX Big Muff Pi-->Joyo Digital Delay
Go blue, especially since celestions are now made in china. Try to find a made in england if you can, you will be happier in the long run. Plus you can say you own a "made in england" celestion.
Agile Interceptor Pro 725 EB EMG
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
Disclaimer: I own an AC15 with a greenback. I am a huge fan of the Edge.

I like the greenback, it's a GREAT speaker. Fantastic. Don't think of the greenback vs. the alnico blue as one being better than the other because of price. Always get your speakers for the sound and the tone!

I would love to have an alnico blue in my ac15, but I am perfectly fine and happy with my greenback. Maybe one day I'll add a cab or something, but right now there is nothing wrong.

So like we said, if you like the difference in tone then go for it. If that difference in tone isn't worth $400 then the decision is obvious!
"Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you." - Aldous Huxley
I just bought a ac15 handwire, great amp. I bought a used blue to try with my greenback, I cant tell much difference really! bit more brighter on top maybe,then I tried the green again it seemed smoother a tad on the high gain hot setting. I was learning how to figure out the best settings at the time but I just kept the green and Im selling the blue.
tone slut

Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier
jet City 2112 Combo
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Classic Vibe Telecaster
I like the idea of going in with no bias and deciding which I prefer. I had a great idea; I'll get the guy at the shop to put the two amps in a sound proof room, without telling me which is which. I'll try them both, and see if I can tell a difference. If I can see a huge difference, I'll go with which ever one sounds better to me, be it green or blue.
Fender MIM Jaguar
^that would be nice. just hope both amps are built equally the same (or close) other than the speaker.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Although the blue speaker is highly prized for its tone, I believe that the Greenback is vastly underrated.

Alnico Blues are awesome when you are wanting that specific vintage-type sound. Greenbacks get extremely close to this however, and are still versatile enough to pull off other killer tones.

Obviously, you should form your own opinion. I've had both, and tend towards the greenback now. But both are classic speakers. If you can afford the blues, perhaps think about the handwired version of the greenback-equipped AC30, and swap the speakers out later. You won't be sorry.
Quote by Tadg
Although the blue speaker is highly prized for its tone, I believe that the Greenback is vastly underrated.

Alnico Blues are awesome when you are wanting that specific vintage-type sound. Greenbacks get extremely close to this however, and are still versatile enough to pull off other killer tones.

Obviously, you should form your own opinion. I've had both, and tend towards the greenback now. But both are classic speakers. If you can afford the blues, perhaps think about the handwired version of the greenback-equipped AC30, and swap the speakers out later. You won't be sorry.

This thread is almost two years old, I doubt he's still shopping. Don't use the searchbar then reply to random threads.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!