Hey guys,

Well I am a pretty good rythem guitar player (not boosting, just saying) but my life long dream is to become a lead guitar player.
Im about the intermediate guitar player but I cant solo or improvise.
I have started learning scales but my friend told me to start learning harmony and theory.
Know most of you know that harmony and theory is one of the most boringist things in the world to learn so im asking you, do you think learning harmony and theory will actually help to become a lead guitar player or is it just a waste of time?

Any thoughts and comments will be appreciated.
Thanks to all
Try these out, they should get you a good start at least.
http://vanderbilly.com/Guitar-Lesson-doctor-rocker-harmony-theory-lesson,9620,1.html

http://vanderbilly.com/Guitar-Lesson-music-theory-for-the-rock-guitarist-lesson-1-introduction,12672,1.html (the rest of the videos in the series are linked below the current vid)

Good luck!
I have more fun than normal people are allowed to have.

Quote by Kensai

Happy RUTAS everybody
Quote by GV8
harmony and theory is one of the most boringist things in the world to learn

You couldn't be more wrong.
MATTERHORN
Quote by GV8
Harmony and theory is one of the most boringist things in the world to learnD

While controversial, I think all of theory is 'boring' to learn. The way to make it interesting is to apply it all, either in using it to write, or to examine songs that use it, to help you understand it better. Doing either also helps consolidate and revise it
Rotten Playground
Listen to me and Jameh muck about on a podcast
as if you have anything better to do.

Quote by Reverend_Taco
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Pfft. Gay? Nah, gay is the manliest sex that exists.
I always hated when people categorized themselves/others into ''Rhythm'' and ''Lead'' guitarists.

A good guitarist is just a guitarist. They know ''rhythm'', and ''lead''.

Also, theory isn't boring at all. It grows on you immensely.
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
Seriously stick to rhythm, there are too many lead guitarists as it is.
If you're planning on making a living with your instrument, and love music, theory is probably the most interesting thing you will ever learn about

Even if you have a life you'll end up thinking about it 25/8
Quote by Doctor Matthews
You couldn't be more wrong.

'wrong' is an absolute state and isn't subject to gradation.

whoever gets this is loved.
"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
Quote by Rock'n'Roller
If you're planning on making a living with your instrument, and love music, theory is probably the most interesting thing you will ever learn about

Even if you have a life you'll end up thinking about it 25/8

Ohhh, I get it. It's funny because there's not really 25 hours a day, or 8 days a week, and is a hyperbole to show just how interesting it is. And that is why it's funny.

Quote by laid-to-waste
'wrong' is an absolute state and isn't subject to gradation.

whoever gets this is loved.

so you love me?
Anything is boring if you don't approach it correctly. Btw, learning theory and harmony can only work if you understand scales. Start by learning the 7 modes. It will feel like you're just memorizing them, but as you start to learn more theory, they start to make more and more sense. When you truly learn all the scales, you can play anything, anywhere on the fretboard.
My roommate is decent at guitar, but he refuses to learn scales completely. When he plays lead, it sounds melodic for a couple of seconds, until he can't figure out what scale shape he's playing - then he starts sounding like Kurt Cobain on guitar (I love kurt, but he's not exactly a "virtuoso").
Trust me, by forcing the "boring" stuff into your head, you can get to the creative stuff faster.
Last edited by eatfresh1736 at Apr 24, 2011,
It would definitely make you a better guitarist. You hear guitar harmonies used all the time in solos. Boston uses it in more than a feeling. I learned theory and my guitar playing has gotten 100% better.
It's not boring at all
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.
Quote by So-Cal
Seriously stick to rhythm, there are too many lead guitarists as it is.

Amen. Rhythm guitar is much more fun I think. You get to be the whole sound behind the band. It is much harder to stand out as a good rhythm guitarist than a good lead guitarist I think.
Theory is awesome. But go over to Musician Talk. There you will get better information. Oh, and DO NOT learn the modes. It's an advanced concept best learned when one is familiar with tonal harmony.

EDIT: Theory isn't just for lead guitarists, y'know.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Last edited by rockingamer2 at Apr 24, 2011,
Quote by eatfresh1736
Anything is boring if you don't approach it correctly. Btw, learning theory and harmony can only work if you understand scales. Start by learning the 7 modes. It will feel like you're just memorizing them, but as you start to learn more theory, they start to make more and more sense. When you truly learn all the scales, you can play anything, anywhere on the fretboard.
My roommate is decent at guitar, but he refuses to learn scales completely. When he plays lead, it sounds melodic for a couple of seconds, until he can't figure out what scale shape he's playing - then he starts sounding like Kurt Cobain on guitar (I love kurt, but he's not exactly a "virtuoso").
Trust me, by forcing the "boring" stuff into your head, you can get to the creative stuff faster.

Horrible advice, yet for some reason guitar players continue to be obsessed with learning modes, without understanding their function, and without understanding basic major/minor tonality, which is what pretty much all Western music is based on. Modes have nothing to do with harmony as it is understood in 90% of our music. This should be in the Musicians Talk, where there are people who actually know what they're talking about.

EDIT: Beaten to it my rockingamer.
Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything.

—Chick Corea
The only reason there are so many lead guitarists is because they want to look cool. If I were in a band I would share the lead guitar duties with the other dude. Like megadeth does.
Quote by kaptkegan

Quote by Metallicuh
The only reason there are so many lead guitarists is because they want to look cool. If I were in a band I would share the lead guitar duties with the other dude. Like megadeth does.

you meam 'like Dave Mustaine does'? Megadeth is mostly synonymous with Dave though
Harmony + Theory have to be some of the most interesting parts of being a musician. Knowing why something works makes you understand it better and then you can apply it.
No such thing as a rhythm or lead player really. It's just a way to differenciate between the members in a band. The better guitarist usually becomes the Lead guitarist, where Metallica is the exception. :P Guitar is just guitar and basically, you're just not good enough to do the soloing yet. You get phrases in the 'rhythm' guitar that are solos played down an octave and sometimes completely syncopated, which makes it harder. Seeing as you're starting to try to solo, I recommend looking at various rock/jazz/funk/blues licks and try to immitate the sound by ear. A good solo to learn would be the stairway to heaven one as it's very simple. I learned it within 6 months of playing the guitar and it was my first instrument..

So an answer to your question is, yes learn theory and no it is not a waste of time. Learn the theory, then apply it.
As a guitarist, you're going to want to learn the Pentatonic scale, major scale and natural minor scale to start with.
You could take the intervalic approach to this once you've done some theory and understand the intervals between notes.
http://communityguitar.com/students/Resource_Sheets/files/Relative_&_Natural_minor.pdf
I got that with just a quick google. Seems pretty informative.

If you want to become an amazing lead player, I would learn those three scales to start with in the 5 positions and make sure you can name every single note on the fretboard in under a second!
Quote by dhruvrajvanshi
you meam 'like Dave Mustaine does'? Megadeth is mostly synonymous with Dave though

Lol
But I mean once he gets a stable band for at least one album
Quote by kaptkegan

Last edited by Metallicuh at Apr 24, 2011,
Quote by SlayingDragons
Ohhh, I get it. It's funny because there's not really 25 hours a day, or 8 days a week, and is a hyperbole to show just how interesting it is. And that is why it's funny.

It's also a crazy time signature.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Quote by rockingamer2
Theory is awesome. But go over to Musician Talk. There you will get better information. Oh, and DO NOT learn the modes. It's an advanced concept best learned when one is familiar with tonal harmony.

EDIT: Theory isn't just for lead guitarists, y'know.
Yes, yes, and yes.

This is the guy you should listen to. Especially when he says bring it to Musician Talk. You'll get much better answers there.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
I have no idea what you people are talking about but i just LEARNED to play

is this a bad thing?
Quote by GV8
one of the most boringist

Yea, I don't think music theory is going to work out for you.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Music theory is fascinating to me. it will help you be a better musician regardless of what you play.
#DTWD
Quote by SlayingDragons

It's funny because you deconstructed an already quite simple joke, thereby emphasizing it and retelling it in a context in which any humour is removed, and making what was probably just a minor turn of phrase seem even less funny than it ever was originally. When an implied jovial tone of voice combines with this pointless, humourless deconstruction, irony is created and thus humour. And that is why it's funny.

I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Apr 25, 2011,