I'm in a band, right now there's me (either on guitar/vocals or bass), another guitarist and a drummer.

Here's the thing; If I take on singing in our band we doesn't have to search for a singer (which is hard to do where I live) and focus on finding a bassist.
If I play bass, we have to find another guitarist and a singer. A guitarist wouldn't be to much trouble since pretty many play guitar where I live.

Now, should I take on vocals in my band? I haven't sung that much before, and I feel ashamed when I sing, will that feeling pass?

Thanks.
Quote by bennej1
play guitar and sing?

or to make it easier, play bass and sing?

I was considering this option.
I play bass and sing. It's difficult at first because with bass it's all about laying down steady groove, but vocal melodies can have floating time.

If you practice singing while playing, you'll get it down, but as a bass player, I find it easier to sing while playing guitar.
If you plan on singing, take it seriously. It's just like any other instrument. You practice and work on technique and you'll sound better. AND you'll get more confident. It's not something you magically have or don't have from birth.
I'm also in a band with a simular problem, where our vocalist left and now i have to take on vocals while i'm playing guitar or drums or whatever instroment i'm on at the time. i wasn't sure about singing properly for the band at first ( i origanly just did occasional backing), but i'm fine with it now
Plz listen to my vocals. im a one man band and i have written a song called "Darkness in day light". plz listen to it and let me know how it is. i have done the guitaring drums and the vocals myself. plz let me know as soon as possible, i want to release a new album.
Quote by grampastumpy
If you plan on singing, take it seriously. It's just like any other instrument. You practice and work on technique and you'll sound better. AND you'll get more confident. It's not something you magically have or don't have from birth.

Super truth.

If you seriously plan on singing a lot in this band I'd take voice lessons for sure.

I had them for one semester once and by the time juries came around I was surprised how much they had helped and I am by no means a great singer.
"Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you." - Aldous Huxley