hi guys
I've got a little problem
I own a fender 76' p-bass that is in my family for minimum 20 years.
my uncle bought it in Russia back at the soviet union time, and my dad says it's absolutely genuine, but there are several things that i'm worried about:
the tuning keys are not like in regular p-basses, they are shaped a lot more simple, and I didn't find anything similar in fender's site.
also, the color, it's a sunburst, but not quite like the guitars in the site.
my last concern is about the color mix. the body is sunburst, pickup is plain white and neck is a bright maple.
if you have a clue if it's genuine or not, i'd love to hear your opinion!

3 Photos of my guitar (don't mind the missing string)
The tuners definite aren't Fender. Is there a serial number in the neck pocket/anywhere on the bass?
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Pics.
Guitars:
1997 Guild Bluesbird
Gibson Les Paul Bfg
Acoustics
Ibanez GSR200FM Bass
Amps:
Bugera V55HD w/avatar cab
Fender Champ 600 with 4 ohm cab
70s traynor 200w head with 2 9x8 cabs for bass
I'm 90% sure it wouldn't have been possible to buy a genuine Fender bass in the Soviet Union in the 1970s. Unless it was black market.
Quote by fleajr_1412
The tuners definite aren't Fender. Is there a serial number in the neck pocket/anywhere on the bass?

there is on the head, I've checked at fender and it fits, that's where I know (think) that it's made in 76' (when a serial number begins with 76 it's made in 76, so the site says).

Quote by kmaster 1337
Pics.

last line, hyperlink.

Quote by Flogger_92
I'm 90% sure it wouldn't have been possible to buy a genuine Fender bass in the Soviet Union in the 1970s. Unless it was black market.

hell, who knows, I would've asked my uncle myself if it was possible, all I know is that he lived on the east side of Russia... place called "Vladivastok". and it may have been bought in the black market
Hmm, it does seem to be a unique bass, that's for sure. There is the possibility that it is a 76, but has been modded over the years. Or it could be that the only Fender thing on the bass is the neck, which may have been added to a different body at some point in time. Either way, you have at least half of a 76 P bass
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
I don't see anything wrong with the body, at least from those pictures. It looks like a 3-tone sunburst, and Fender has changed up their sunburst a lot over the years. Some are lighter, some are darker, some are redder, some are oranger, etc.

As for the headstock, the tuners aren't original, at least not original Fender. And the decal looks suspect to me, the positioning of the label, and the fact that the serial number is under the word "Precision" instead of "Fender" like it usually is (plus all the excess lettering) makes it seem more like a modified, or custom decal to me.

Its really hard to tell. It could be an original Fender with aftermarket tuners and a custom label, or it could be a parts bass with a Fender-copy neck. Take off the neck and see if there are any marking in the neck pocket, or see if there's anything under the pickguard.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Tostitos
I don't see anything wrong with the body, at least from those pictures. It looks like a 3-tone sunburst, and Fender has changed up their sunburst a lot over the years. Some are lighter, some are darker, some are redder, some are oranger, etc.

As for the headstock, the tuners aren't original, at least not original Fender. And the decal looks suspect to me, the positioning of the label, and the fact that the serial number is under the word "Precision" instead of "Fender" like it usually is (plus all the excess lettering) makes it seem more like a modified, or custom decal to me.

Its really hard to tell. It could be an original Fender with aftermarket tuners and a custom label, or it could be a parts bass with a Fender-copy neck. Take off the neck and see if there are any marking in the neck pocket, or see if there's anything under the pickguard.

well, the excess lettering, I believe was added by my uncle... that and the moose-head drawing...
I had those same exact tuners on a knockoff fender copy called a Maya.

You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
The neck looks fake to me. Im not Fender expert, but the tuners arent right, but I think most suspicious of all is the decal. The F in Fender is way off, almost to the edge of the headstock. It just doesn't look right.

No opinion on the body.
pinga
At the end of the day, as long as you like the sound and it plays well, what does it matter if it's a fender or not?
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
Everything about that bass looks like my Maya with a Fender decal stuck on. Take off the pick guard and see if it's made out of plywood. It's probably just a cheap knock-off.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Just for the sake of learning, is that normal for a P bass head stock to be so skinny and long? I know the 70's strat head stocks were fat, I assume a 70's P bass would be fat as it normally is?
That decal looks as fake as Pam Anderson's boobs.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Vladivostok is very close to Japan, and has always had a strong trade relationship with Hokkaido and the Honshu prefectures in particular. Many Western goods entered the USSR through Vladivostok.

My money is on it being a Japanese Fender bass produced for the Japanese domestic market and never intended for export to the U.S.
IMO the biggest reason to believe it isn't real is the sunburst. See the way the black covers the contour? This was usually done to cover up the fact that the body is made of plywood, since the layers would be visible in the contour.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ASTRAL PANDA σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Last.fm
It's fake.

The tuners in the headstock have a smaller hole diameter than standard fender tuners and the neck has a separate maple fretboard which I'm pretty sure is something fender have never done. so the neck is fake.

The sunburst on the body is wrong, the black is covering the arm and if you were to look on the back probably the belly contour as well. This is exactly how cheap brands hid their plywood bodies on sunburst guitars.

I'm sorry mate, I know how much of a downer it is when you find out your vintage gear is fake.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
even if it is a fake, it's 30 years old and looks fantastic, it has a lot of history, i say you have a great instrument there man
what's the difference between a drug dealer and a prostitute?

a drug dealer can't wash his crack and sell it again
Quote by VeloDog
Vladivostok is very close to Japan, and has always had a strong trade relationship with Hokkaido and the Honshu prefectures in particular. Many Western goods entered the USSR through Vladivostok.

My money is on it being a Japanese Fender bass produced for the Japanese domestic market and never intended for export to the U.S.

that's what my dad said, and it is the reason I brought the subject up, cause I wasn't sure myself.. other then that I don't think there were alot of guitar copiers back in the USSR, but hell, who knows?

Quote by Creeping_Kwano
even if it is a fake, it's 30 years old and looks fantastic, it has a lot of history, i say you have a great instrument there man

and to all that say it's fake.. it could be (and probably is), but I guess Creeping_Kwano is right, cause it sounds pretty good and means alot to me, no matter real or fake

but again, I would like to thank everyone for sharing they're opinions & thoughts, other replies are welcomed
Also pull the neck, there should be a build date on the neck and body pocket.
1981 G&L L 1000
Dean Razor NT5
Dean Hardtail 5
Dean Sledge Hammer 5 Ash
Dean Sledge Hammer 5 Mahogany
Dean Edge 1-5
Dean Edge Q-6 string
Dean Rhapsody 4
Axle Acoustic bass
MiniStar 5 string bass
Dean DOA Caddilac
Dean V-Wing acoustic
who cares if it's real,It's awesome and I'd love to have a sweet bass like that.
the thing that gives it away for me though is the decal n the headstock,which is just a little bit outta place.
Give a man a fish and he'll be hungry tomorrow,but put his ass in fishnets and someone will buy him dinner-Gene Simmons