Looking for a stack/half stack to play some outdoor gigs coming up. Fine with used, I like odd duck kinda stuff HATE modeler amps. I'm playing mostly Blink-182, Green Day, assorted other pop punk, but wouldn't mind a nice classic crunch sound too. Near Philly PA, budget around 500 USD, could go more for the right setup.
If you are playing pop punk I would definitely go with a low wattage tube Combo. Maybe a 6505+ 2x12. They sound beautiful with the gain down low and the mids rolled up high. Great punk/pop punk tone. I know they are more of a metal amp but they are quite versatile and you can get a used combo for right in your price range. You don't need a head/cab. Any tube amp 60w or above can handle larger gigs or outdoor stuff.
Last edited by Tyler.Allain at Apr 24, 2011,
try some marshalls, billy joe armstrong uses a jcm 900 if i remember right...you could try an ma50c which is good for lower gain stuff
Quote by Cracked.com
Then they torched an Apple Store and made a PowerPoint about their experiences.
I'd suggest a Crate Blue Voodoo or Peavey Valveking head and a decent used 2x12. For $500 USD you might not find a decent halfstack unless you get a great deal. You could also try to find a JCM 900 combo, but the head+cab would be out of your price range.
Last edited by Helicopters! at Apr 24, 2011,
Quote by dtmaiden
try some marshalls, billy joe armstrong uses a jcm 900 if i remember right...you could try an ma50c which is good for lower gain stuff

Thanks man, but those are a little pricey at the moment :/
Quote by Tyler.Allain
If you are playing pop punk I would definitely go with a low wattage tube Combo. Maybe a 6505+ 2x12. They sound beautiful with the gain down low and the mids rolled up high. Great punk/pop punk tone. I know they are more of a metal amp but they are quite versatile and you can get a used combo for right in your price range. You don't need a head/cab. Any tube amp 60w or above can handle larger gigs or outdoor stuff.

No, absolutely not.

TS you do not need a stack to play a gig. In fact, with that budget wanting a stack greatly limits what you can get. But if you want a stack look into a Peavey Windsor or a Jet City JCA 50H.

A used peavey classic 30, used Marshall DSL 401, Kustom Defender, Bugera V22/V55, crate Palomino/Vseries, or a Peavey Valveking are all good combos that can do what you want.
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
Quote by Helicopters!
I'd suggest a Crate Blue Voodoo or Peavey Valveking head and a decent used 2x12. For $500 USD you might not find a decent halfstack unless you get a great deal. You could also try to find a JCM 900 combo, but the head+cab would be out of your price range.

Thanks. My band tends to be REALLY loud tho, how would the combo do against a crazy drummer and a bassist on 2 15 inchers with 500 watts?
Let me put it to you this way: YOU DO NOT NEED A STACK TO COMPETE WITH A DRUMMER. My 50w Valveking combo can absolutely slay my entire band and bomb a third world country with the volume on half. You need a LOT LESS wattage than you think.
Thanks to everybody for all the suggestions, but its looking like I'll see how many more miles I can get out of the Fender I'm borrowing now till I can afford something worth playing thru.
Quote by EFGuitar
Thanks. My band tends to be REALLY loud tho, how would the combo do against a crazy drummer and a bassist on 2 15 inchers with 500 watts?

Yes, a combo would keep up. Extra speakers don't make you louder, just make you sound fuller. A 30+ watt tube amp is usually all you need. Also, you and your band members shouldn't really be competing with each other to be heard. You can't really control how hard your drummer hits, but you can tell your bassist to turn down if he's too loud.
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
Last edited by Major Sparky at Apr 24, 2011,
Quote by Helicopters!
Let me put it to you this way: YOU DO NOT NEED A STACK TO COMPETE WITH A DRUMMER. My 50w Valveking combo can absolutely slay my entire band and bomb a third world country with the volume on half. You need a LOT LESS wattage than you think.

K, I don't have any real experience with tubes, just some beat up old 60's fender 2x12 solid state that I wouldn't want to replace if it wasn't about to die a horrible death from overplaying.
It's all good. Check out the Valveking; you might want to grab it used so you can swap out the tubes and speaker but it's a pretty good amp in its price range.
Quote by Helicopters!
It's all good. Check out the Valveking; you might want to grab it used so you can swap out the tubes and speaker but it's a pretty good amp in its price range.

So i've heard. actually, cruising my local guitarcenter's used list I've found a used Fender DeVille 2x12. assuming I throw a pedal on for extra gain, how would that fair?
Quote by EFGuitar
So i've heard. actually, cruising my local guitarcenter's used list I've found a used Fender DeVille 2x12. assuming I throw a pedal on for extra gain, how would that fair?

for <$500?

If it works, get it.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by EFGuitar

Honestly that wouldn't be the ideal pop punk amp. Those bands tend to use a lot more gain than you're going to get from the deville. And a 2x12 amp is going to be a pain to lug around too.
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
Quote by EFGuitar
Thanks man, but those are a little pricey at the moment :/

What, the ma50? It's £400 for the head, £450 for the combo in England. That's really cheap as tube amps go. The valveking is pretty good too. Just, whatever you do, don't go for a 6505+. They have some of the highest gain I've heard.
Quote by Cracked.com
Then they torched an Apple Store and made a PowerPoint about their experiences.
Marshalls ma series is horrible.
The vk wouldnt be horrible but not great either if you increase your budget a bit youd have more to look at.
imo the 5150/6505 wouldnt be that bad, allthough the 2x12 is a bitch to carry around, even the 1x12 is huge and also lacks in sound and quality.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean