Poll: Is American High School just like it is on TV?
Poll Options
View poll results: Is American High School just like it is on TV?
Yes. Give detail in post.
20 16%
Sort of. Give detail in post again.
31 24%
No. Still give detail.
78 60%
Voters: 129.
Page 1 of 2
Question in the title.

I'm talking about all of the typical high school stuff like cliques, sluts, jocks, nerds, preps etc. As I'm moving to the US [from the UK] either in 2012 or 2014, I'd like to know.

A poll awaits you.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
No.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Your post was the only bright spot in this disgusting piece of thread.

Quote by lexanirider78
You have balls. I like balls....(awkward silence)

Quote by SeveralSpecies
I waited for the rape.

...but the rape never came
NO.

And I don't know where TV producers get the impression that they all have lockers - I never did.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
There was a thread asking the same question a month ago.

No.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Only difference between real life high school in the US and the way it's shown in movies, is that in the movies they leave out all the rapes. Major rapes take place. All the time. Avoid the bathrooms.
No. I hang out with nerds, stoners, skaters, etc. I don't know if the sluts hang out with each other, but there is a good amount of them. (I do live in the state with the highest teen pregancy rate.)
I'm so happy. I get to eat a muffin.
Quote by space aids
You are so happy to eat a muffin it's kinda scary.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Goes around tryina light dudes on fire.
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

I tell a lie, there is no such thing.
Yes and no.

Some movies I think accurately portray it, although they just use some hyperbole.

Like Mean Girls for example. Take this scene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsPvRtQIKG0&feature=related

Obviously High school isn't totally like that and they're exaggerating, but it definitely does have cliques very accurate to what they say there. Especially the sexually active band geeks.
Last edited by The Madcap at Apr 24, 2011,
Watch The Breakfast Club. That movie got it so correct it's scary.
LOVE ANTHONY GREEN?
Quote by sneyob
I am slightly disappointed =w=eeze took me out of his sig.

But that's okay.

^Consolation Sig
Real American high school life is to televised American high school life as real English life is to Monty Python and/or Lord of the Rings.

Take that as you will.
[Insert Witty/Humorous Comment Here]
The only people in high school that act like or resemble the high school kids in shows like Glee and Degrassi are the ones that WATCH Glee and Degrassi. And everyone else thinks they're shallow and stupid.

And by everyone else I mean me.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Everyone goes to parties and such, but there aren't real 'cliques' where i'm from.

Sometimes i'm disappointed that High School never was movie typical.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Not even close. Movies make High School in the US look so cliche its sickening. As long as you dress right, aren't stupid, nice and stuff, you should be good. There are, however, douche's, bitches, wannabes, retarded people, ok-ish people and normal people. Those are pretty much all the 'groups' in a high school. It'll vary though.
Quote by rgrockr
NO.

And I don't know where TV producers get the impression that they all have lockers - I never did.

i think the vast majority of high schools have lockers

American high school is nothing like it is on TV. My school has never broken out into song and dance in the middle of the hallway . Nor does everyone take themselves quite so seriously.

there are cliques but it's nowhere near as extreme and segregated as TV makes it seem. I have friends who are nerds, friends who are jocks, friends that are stoners, freinds that are in the marching band, friends that are scene kids, etc.
Quote by asator
YOU'RE A CUNT AND STUFF LESPAUL1216.

It's okay because whatever, forever
Last edited by lespaul1216 at Apr 24, 2011,
I grew up in the 70's
That 70's Show did a pretty good job IMO.
Although our "circle" was usually some place in the woods with a big bon fire and multiple kegs of beer.
If you don't wear your pants backwards you WILL get raped. I understand the irony of making it easier to access your asshole this way but regardless you need to do it.

Kris Kross wouldn't lie to us.
It depends on where you're moving to. You can't get away with as much shit as they do on TV obviously, but there are cliques. And there are some cruel motherfuckers, but I'm sure you knew that.
Quote by lespaul1216
i think the vast majority of high schools have lockers

American high school is nothing like it is on TV. My school has never broken out into song and dance in the middle of the hallway . Nor does everyone take themselves quite so seriously.

there are cliques but it's nowhere near as extreme and segregated as TV makes it seem. I have friends who are nerds, friends who are jocks, friends that are stoners, freinds that are in the marching band, friends that are scene kids, etc.

You'd be surprised

I've been to three different high schools and barely anyone used a locker
it depends on the area. my highschool had cliques. its hard for me to label people but ill try my best.

the major cliques were: nerds, stoners, jocks. and preps for guys.

idk about girls id say there was the popular girls than everyone else, than smaller groups of less popular girls. as far as girls being sluts. sluts exist in categories of girls not just the popular girls.

oh yea who could forget about the koreans 43% of my school was korean. they never spoke english unless in class. real ****ing annoying because they all flocked to my area in the early 2000s and were generally the biggest assholes trying to start fights.

glad i ****ing graduated from that school in 2007 the teachers sucked. infact the only good thing about highschool was the insanely good weed i got compared to what i get in college.
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
Last edited by whyze250f at Apr 24, 2011,
Just watch Dazed and Confused and lthats exactly what High School is like here in the US. (I wish)
There's a Vonnegut quote about this.... but to give you a frame of reference, if we are to believe John Hughes's vision of American high schools, black people didn't exist from 1982-1989.
Quote by darkcheef
You'd be surprised

I've been to three different high schools and barely anyone used a locker

well the thing about the word majority is it implies there are exceptions, minorities if you will
Quote by asator
YOU'RE A CUNT AND STUFF LESPAUL1216.

It's okay because whatever, forever
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
If you're English and okay looking you'll become Mr popular.

He's right.

There were groups and bullying and such, but that was a pretty tiny part of high school. Pretty much anytime you ask anyone about high school, they're going to think about or mention their friends because the two things that dominated high school were:
1) Schoolwork/homework
2)Friends/personal social group

TV shows just dramatize the hell out of high school for ratings in the teen market, just like how soap operas are overtly dramatic to grab the attention of women who obsess over relationships.
Quote by mrcrono
If you don't wear your pants backwards you WILL get raped. I understand the irony of making it easier to access your asshole this way but regardless you need to do it.

Kris Kross wouldn't lie to us.

Holy nostalgia, Batman.
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
If you're English and okay looking you'll become Mr popular.

This.

Don't worry about stereotypes if you're English in a American HS. You're set. Trust me...
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
Quote by rgrockr
NO.

i have never seen a high school without lockers.
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
We didn't have lockers at my school, we just had them in the locker room for gym classes. It was weird cause there was really no "cliques" at school or maybe I never paid attention to them.
STಠ_ಠ
Nope. Anytime we watch some stupid lifetime movie in health class about a high schooler who gets some STD or something like that I'm like "What the fuck is up with this school?"
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
Quote by JimmyBanks6
i have never seen a high school without lockers.

Mine had them, but nobody had the time to actually use them and get to class without being late.
[quote="'-[NiL"]-']Mine had them, but nobody had the time to actually use them and get to class without being late.
I hate that. I get 3 minutes in between classes. It may be a small school but it takes the entire 3 minutes one end to the other.
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
This is hilarious because in the UK, shows like The Inbetweeners are incredibly scarily accurate.

But then I guess Waterloo Road is so unrealistic it's pathetic.
Well, it depends on what you're watching.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
[quote="'-[NiL"]-']Mine had them, but nobody had the time to actually use them and get to class without being late.
we had 10 minute breaks, no bags were allowed in classes, no jackets/hats/ipods either.

so you had to use them. (rules became more lax after i left and douche principle changed schools)

However ive never heard of a highschool where you dont use lockers, seems so primary school lol
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Page 1 of 2