Page 1 of 2
What level do you think you have to be at to buy a certain price of guitar? I know you can't always buy a new guitar but In a ideal world what ability justifies what guitar?
You can buy whatever guitar you want, you don't have to be at a certain skill level to buy one. This is real life, not some guitar-playing RPG where you have to unlock new guitars.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Yeh I know but I'm talking about being deserving of the guitar you play in terms of ability
Quote by rgrockr
You can buy whatever guitar you want, you don't have to be at a certain skill level to buy one. This is real life, not some guitar-playing RPG where you have to unlock new guitars.

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But to go along with this thread, the more expensive guitars should go to beginners (Under the premise that the higher the quality the easier it is to play (Not always true, I know) and that the cheaper the guitar, the better you have to be to get it to sound great.
no
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-Jackson Soloist Std. Professional '93
DiMarzio Evolution (bridge) SD Lil' Screamin Demon (neck)

-B.C. Rich Warlock Special Edition Metal Web

-Peavey Bandit 112
What you really need is a new amp, though.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
By working hard and being able to spend your money on whatever you want.
This is a good question but maybe worded wrong? How good do you have to be to appreciate the difference between and Epiphone and a Gibson? A les paul Custom and a Les Paul Standard? A Gibson 335 compared to a top end Les?

I would say you'd have to be advanced and making your own music to warrant a £1,000 + guitar.
as long as you have basics down it shouldn't really matter.

if you can afford a guitar and you actually use it than you deserve it. my friend has a gibson LP and he plays guitar like once or twice a year. really annoying.

i would love to have that guitar. though i dont know if i would shell out the money to actually buy one.
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
Part of it depends on your income. In fact a lot of it does.

A couple years ago I saw a guy at a University Of Houston guitar competition. He only had a Seagull classical guitar that was around $300-500. My teacher said he's not to well off financially.

Everyone else in the competition had guitars between $1,000 and -$6,500. And they were handmade, too. But regardless, he was still an amazing guitarist and he was the one who won the competition. And there were some pretty damn good players he was up against.
^ +1 a good guitarist can make a bad instrument sound good and a good instrument sound great. whereas a bad guitarist cant even make a great instrument sound good.
donts get these here guitars if you cants play the musics, ya?
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Well, I have a Gibson Les Paul Standard (from new) and a Marshall Vintage Modern half stack (also from new) so that's what, pushing £3000 worth of gear? I've been playing for 3 1/2 years and don't have a band. But I've worked my ass off for that gear, all my own money was used to buy it and I'm just as dedicated as any guitarist you'll find. DEAL WITH IT
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
Well, I have a Gibson Les Paul Standard (from new) and a Marshall Vintage Modern half stack (also from new) so that's what, pushing £3000 worth of gear? I've been playing for 3 1/2 years and don't have a band. But I've worked my ass off for that gear, all my own money was used to buy it and I'm just as dedicated as any guitarist you'll find. DEAL WITH IT

This. As long as you pay for it yourself and you actually use the gear, you deserve it. I honestly don't care how good you are or are not, so long as you make an effort with the gear you have.
As long as your mummy doesn't buy it you can have whatever the **** you want, whenever the **** you want! Anyone who says otherwise is just pissed they can't do it.
I've never played a high-quality guitar. I've got mine from hand-me down and pawn shops. I've played these guitars for 4 years and I believe that having a better one wouldn't make me any better. It might give me more inspiration to learn, but that's about it.
BLANKBLANK
Quote by robhc
This. As long as you pay for it yourself and you actually use the gear, you deserve it. I honestly don't care how good you are or are not, so long as you make an effort with the gear you have.

As a junior in college, working in retail, with a grand total of about 500 dollars spent on my guitar+gear over 6 years, I want to know how someone on this forum can afford to spend 5500 dollars (3000 pounds) dollars on gear.

By all means, if you can afford it, buy it. But damn. I don't get how people can afford these things.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Quote by Arfey McFeeshy
I've never played a high-quality guitar. I've got mine from hand-me down and pawn shops. I've played these guitars for 4 years and I believe that having a better one wouldn't make me any better. It might give me more inspiration to learn, but that's about it.

Ditto. I get a sort of enjoyment out of being able to adapt also, so getting a crappy guitar and making it sound halfway decent makes me feel awesome. I've been playing on a 100 dollar guitar for a few years now and i'm completely satisfied.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
if you can at least play fairly well but can't afford a guitar yourself, than maybe $500-$1000, and if you are not very good less than $500. but if you can afford to buy a guitar with money you earned yourself, then it doesn't matter what your skill level is, since you are paying for it.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by bradulator
Ditto. I get a sort of enjoyment out of being able to adapt also, so getting a crappy guitar and making it sound halfway decent makes me feel awesome. I've been playing on a 100 dollar guitar for a few years now and i'm completely satisfied.

This sort of thing does make me feel kinda bad. As I've said, I have a pretty awesome set up I think and I'm very lucky to have it. But then you have people who have been playing like 6 or so years and are still on an Epi or a Squire or something and it makes me think they should have a really good set up.

But then again, you have people like Jack White who in my opinion, is a brilliant guitarist but enjoys playing beat up old guitars that aren't half the quality of an Epiphone even.

Quote by SlinkyBlue
As a junior in college, working in retail, with a grand total of about 500 dollars spent on my guitar+gear over 6 years, I want to know how someone on this forum can afford to spend 5500 dollars (3000 pounds) dollars on gear.

By all means, if you can afford it, buy it. But damn. I don't get how people can afford these things.

Well, I've just saved up most of my wages for a few months The only thing I have to pay for is rent and my phone bill, which equates to maybe £200 a month. I have a good paying job and am on about 25 - 30 hours a week. Plus I get paid monthly which makes it much easier to save.

Oh, and I got about £400 from selling stuff.
Last edited by WholeLottaIzzy at Apr 24, 2011,
Quote by SlinkyBlue

Two of my guitars were either gifts, or bought with money from gifts (birthday and christmas). One of my guitars was bought with money I got from selling my games collection, that I had built up over about 10 years. My last guitar, pedals and amp was bought with what I had leftover from my student loan this year.
having an extremely expensive guitar doesnt make you a good guitar player, you just need a guitar that's comfortable enough so you can play to the best of your abilities on it. I think once you're actually playing in bands, recording stuff, and developed decent enough technique and musical sense to play most of the stuff that pops up in your head, then you should move on for your dream guitar or whatever
Quote by SlinkyBlue

My handmade steel string acoustic guitar was 4750, USD. Y'know how I paid for it?

BLOOD MONEY
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by rgrockr

Oh dear I'm crying of laughter.

I may have to sig this.
Quote by rgrockr
Quote by robhc
Two of my guitars were either gifts, or bought with money from gifts (birthday and christmas). One of my guitars was bought with money I got from selling my games collection, that I had built up over about 10 years. My last guitar, pedals and amp was bought with what I had leftover from my student loan this year.

My father bought me my amp and guitar when I was 16. I'm 21 now, still playing the same, but I've bought pedals, recording software, mics, and traded in the amp for a less powerful, more portable tube. Fender Deluxe for a Fender Blues Junior. 500 is actually maybe a bit generous for how much I've spent on gear.

I just bought Portal 2, and even that hurts pretty bad these days. Especially when it costs 80 bucks to fill up my gas tank.

My last guitar, pedals and amp was bought with what I had leftover from my student loan this year.

Oh
-Jim Morrison
Last edited by SlinkyBlue at Apr 24, 2011,
I don't think I'd ever buy something super-expensive or over the top unless I was recording/playing live to big crowds. I'd still be willing to drop a solid amount of cash on something nice though, maybe a couple pedals, I'd love love love to own a Mark IV.
Quote by SlinkyBlue
My father bought me my amp and guitar when I was 16. I'm 21 now, still playing the same, but I've bought pedals, recording software, mics, and traded in the amp for a less powerful, more portable tube. Fender Deluxe for a Fender Blues Junior. 500 is actually maybe a bit generous for how much I've spent on gear.

I just bought Portal 2, and even that hurts pretty bad these days. Especially when it costs 80 bucks to fill up my gas tank.

Not everyone is a typically poor college student
Erm well I've been playing for over 4 years and I have an Ibanez RG120

I live in the UK, so the Rg120 would be considered good for it's price [cost me 200 dollars in the US. List price is 400 dollars], so I think I'm OK
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Quote by Dreadnought
Not everyone is a typically poor college student

I'm just saying I have to work for what I want, I resent this
-Jim Morrison
Quote by SlinkyBlue
I have to work for what I want, I resent this

I work for what I want, too. Very few people don't.
Quote by Dreadnought
Very few people don't.

I know plenty of people who don't work for shit, whether it be their family or the government who is providing for them.
-Jim Morrison
Quote by SlinkyBlue
I know plenty of people who don't work for shit, whether it be their family or the government who is providing for them.

I was talking more about UG. I think most people here are "poor" teenagers who work part time jobs to afford their stuff. For those that do have nicer equipment, myself included, the majority seem to work for their purchases as well. Very few are "daddy bought me" things
Quote by UraniYum
Price does not equal quality.

Generally, in my experience, it does With acoustic guitars, at least
Quote by Dreadnought
I was talking more about UG. I think most people here are "poor" teenagers who work part time jobs to afford their stuff. For those that do have nicer equipment, myself included, the majority seem to work for their purchases as well. Very few are "daddy bought me" things

Fair enough. I'll be lurking for more people who are in my position, maybe i'm just projecting my own monetary insecurities on this thread

-Jim Morrison
Quote by rgrockr

Quote by adamlangille
this isn't runescape, you can have a steve vai jem without a creativity level of 99

+100000000
Page 1 of 2