Hey guys,

I posted a few days ago about my search for a new amplifier. I've been playing a Hughes and Kettner Trilogy for a few years now and I probably should have changed because I find it just doesn't suit the sound I'm going for. I find that -

- The high frequency attack on the clean channel is too aggressive
- The Crunch channel sounds quite middy\muddy
- The ultra lead channel sounds great but a little muddy and harsh
- Effects sound muddy

So I've decided to try something new. I mostly play post-rock\progressive stuff with pretty cleans and heavy leads. I want something that sounds smooth.

I know everybody has personal tastes but I just wondered what experiences other people have and recomend. I know I could go down to a guitar shop and try one out but that just isn't enough for me because the only way to really know is by taking that amp to practice with my band and spending a few hours with it.

So far I've been considering an engl fireball 100. Thats at the top of my list as its within my budget of about £1000 and after listening\watching the demos it sounds right up my street.

Anyway thanks in advance guys!
Ampeg V-4/Sunn Model T would be my choices for this sort of thing if you can find either of them.
Last edited by The Last Dandy at Apr 24, 2011,
check out an engl powerball as well. scale the summit uses those and it kinda sounds like you're describing a tone similar to theirs
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
try a framus cobra? killswitch engage uses them
Quote by Cracked.com
Then they torched an Apple Store and made a PowerPoint about their experiences.
Quote by The Last Dandy
Ampeg V-4/Sunn Model T would be my choices for this sort of thing if you can find either of them.

Isn't a V4 a single channel clean amp? I think a reissue Model T would work well (easier to find than an original too).
Engl Fireball 100 would have been my first suggestion. Experiment with the clean channel's gain knob a bit when trying it, it's a pretty versatile channel.

Quote by OceansBetweenUs
Is the Trilogy like the Triamp?

Eh, kinda sorta. It's much like a Triamp in the way that it's built for versatility, but the Triamp's a lot nicer still.
Definitely check out the Fireball 100 and Mesa Mark series amps.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM >> Maxon OD808 >> BOSS NS-2 >> Peavey 5150 212
Quote by TheQuailman
Engl Fireball 100 would have been my first suggestion. Experiment with the clean channel's gain knob a bit when trying it, it's a pretty versatile channel.

Eh, kinda sorta. It's much like a Triamp in the way that it's built for versatility, but the Triamp's a lot nicer still.

Played my friends triamp this weekend - that thing is RIDICULOUS awesome sounding through a Mesa 4x12.

Also one of the loudest (the loudest) amps I've ever played on.