hi. can anyone give me step by step how to play a marshall valvestate 8080 through a wem dominator combo amp, slaving the wem amp?
You can try taking a cable from the line out or FX send of the Valvestate into the WEM, or use a THD Hotplate with the Valvestate and take its DI into the WEM.
A cheap DI box might also work, depending on your setup.
i have an attenuator. if i use that as the dummy load and send the signal to the wem what amps volume control would be used to control volume? im confused a bit.
Only send the attenuator signal to the WEM if it's DI line level! If you send a speaker level signal to the WEM you might blow it up.
What attenuator are you using? Does it have DI out?
Quote by anderson80
hi. can anyone give me step by step how to play a marshall valvestate 8080 through a wem dominator combo amp, slaving the wem amp?

you have a number of options.

the attenuator option is viable.

your amp has a 'line out' and an 'effects out'. you could send the line out from the marshall to the WEM. this would allow you to play the combo's speaker with the WEM.

you could sent the effects out of the VS8080 to the WEM, this would bypass the signal going to the power section of the VS8080 and it would effectively be using the WEM by itself (with no output from the VS8080's speaker). (i think the effects loop is parallel so you will need to mess with the 'effects level' knob to totally bypass the internal speaker, or it gives you the option of mixing the signal between the amps).

the bad part is that none of those truly 'slave' the WEM. to truly slave the VS8080 (master) to the WEM (slave) you'd like to send the signal from the preamp of the VS8080 to both the power section of the VS8080 and the power section of the WEM. in an ideal situation, you'd have to bypass the preamp on the WEM and send the signal directly to the power amp for a true slaving situation.

alas, there doesn't seem to be a method for bypassing the preamp on the WEM so you'll never really get an ideal signal to the WEM's power amp to treat it as a slave.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Apr 25, 2011,
somebody said if im not using the marshalls speaker id have to use a dummy load. What would that mean and where would it be connected?
You don't need a load on a SS amp, which the 8080 is. If you didn't already have an attenuator, something like a Behringer Ultra-G or even a 1K pot in a box would do.
Quote by anderson80
somebody said if im not using the marshalls speaker id have to use a dummy load. What would that mean and where would it be connected?

a load is another term for a speaker. that advice assumes you are going to unplug the speaker. a dummy load is a device that acts like a speaker electronically (but not sonically) to provide the impedance the amplifier circuit needs to see at the output. the way you use them is to unplug the speaker from the jack and plug in the dummy load instead.

your weber mass attenuator has a dummy load in it, it actually works by splitting the amps signal between the speaker and the dummy load.

a more correct revision of your statement would be

Quote by revision
if unplug the speaker from the marshall's speaker out jack id have to use a dummy load to properly load the circuit.

and to tell truth, i don't know how a SS circuit would react to an output with no load but i imagine it wouldn't be the best. tube amps def wanna see that load on the output.

either way, using the effects loop out with properly leveling wouldn't require you to pull the speaker plug or use a dummy load so all this info is really superfluous.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Apr 25, 2011,