Hey I'm thinking of getting a guitar soon I'm playing on having a $350-$500 budget. any suggestions on what i should get? I do have some experience on bass guitar if that helps
Last edited by Camp1ncarl at Apr 25, 2011,
I'm not a big metal player, but the most expected answer is Ibanez. Have a look into them, try them out before you buy one, etc. Make sure it's right for you and remember, action can always be adjusted.

And don't let them sell you a shit guitar. If you're trying out a guitar make sure you try it out through the same sort of amp you'd be using yourself. So many places try to fob off shit guitars to people by letting them try them out through stack amps so they sound amazing haha.
I would say a Jackson; good for metal, pretty good necks, overall pretty great for what your paying for it.
I agree with CFL182, Ibanez( RG's specifically) are very good beginner guitars. However, do not let them tell you that 'this guitar' or 'that guitar' is the best for you. You can take their reccomendations and try them out. But don't completely trust anybody. As for metal, make sure you get a guitar with humbuckers and you may or may not want a tremolo or floyd rose. Having a trem will probably add about $100 to your guitar so you may want to opt out of getting one, seeing as you're a beginner.
If you havent got the amp situation taken care of, i would look into an ibanez jumpstart pack, or just stick it out with just a guitar for a few until u got the coin for one.
You should buy the ibanez RG350dx!! ...or something like that.., which is crap compared to real guitars like an american fender strat. Yes, ibanez is a joke compared to a fender strat, unless you're willing to spend over 800 for a good ibanez. The thing is, their mid-level guitars are made for kids who think they will shred good if they buy one, "ohh look, it looks like its really easy to play, 24 jumbo frets and the strings are soo loww on the fretboard!!, omg, look! a trem!!, I will now buy this guitar shaped chunk of basswood made in korea with a bridge made of recycled tin cans and swap the pickups and it will sound just like a 2000$ gibson les paul ohh yeahhh!!....anyway, you're a beginner metal guitar player so thats just perfect for you
been there, done that. NOT,NOT... respectively
Last edited by thegear at Apr 24, 2011,
Lol at all the people suggesting guitars with trems. Did you miss the "beginner" part of the post?
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
Quote by thegear
You should buy the ibanez RG350dx!! ...or something like that.., which is crap compared to real guitars like an american fender strat. Yes, ibanez is a joke compared to a fender strat, unless you're willing to spend over 800 for a good ibanez. The thing is, their mid-level guitars are made for kids who think they will shred good if they buy one, "ohh look, it looks like its really easy to play, 24 jumbo frets and the strings are soo loww on the fretboard!!, omg, look! a trem!!, I will now buy this guitar shaped chunk of basswood made in korea with a bridge made of recycled tin cans and swap the pickups and it will sound just like a 2000$ gibson les paul ohh yeahhh!!....anyway, you're a beginner metal guitar player so thats just perfect for you

Please refrain from being a troll. Not all of us have the money to afford American strats and overpriced les pauls.

TS, i would not reccommend a trem. Cheap trems are a nightmare to keep in tune and for beginners, they are very hard to set up. Go with a fixed bridge.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Apr 24, 2011,
Quote by Chimara
Schecter. The Omen's only $300. Try that out.

+1 <3 schecter great quality instrument well made and look amazing ;D
and avoid a tremolo lol tuning as beginner is kinda a b**** till u get used to it, unless u use a tuner XD but still hard to keep in tune if u dont set up right or just dont know waht ur doing
Last edited by Reizei at Apr 24, 2011,
I would like to recommend these models
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RGA42FM-Electric-Guitar?sku=502235
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RGA32-Electric-Guitar?sku=620738

Ibanez guitars are good quality, but many of them have locking tremolo systems. While this is not necessarily a bad thing, they are difficult to set up and will cause many problems if you don't treat them properly. A guitar with a fixed bridge will save you a lot of headaches.
Go to a store and just pick up the Ibanez and the Schecter recommended. Both are good instruments, but decide which neck shape you like more as they are vastly different. On the cheaper side look at Squier Affinity Tele's and Strats. All good starter isntruments.

For the vote - I hate all that is Ibanez.
As mentioned, Jacksons are good metal guitars, and the JS series are fairly decent guitars under $400. and with the JS's, you can get one easily with a Tune-O-Matic bridge. But i'm also a jackson fanboy and dont like ibanez. I'm not saying they're crap, they just dont feel right to me.
But make sure to try plenty of different brands and models within the brands. Good Luck!
Jackson. Sure Ibanez's play great and have pencil thin necks, but Jackson's sound quality is much superior and Jackson's play just as well as an Ibanez.
If your new make sure it has a fixed bridge. my 1st was an Ibanez rg350DX with floating trem. excellant guitar. not good for noobies that change tunings all the time.

I would suggest one that you can strap comfortably. For instance i cant play rg's low slung properly. my 2nd guitar an iceman ict-700 had different strap postions and its easier to play low slung.
Quote by ethansj1
If your new make sure it has a fixed bridge. my 1st was an Ibanez rg350DX with floating trem. excellant guitar. not good for noobies that change tunings all the time.

I would suggest one that you can strap comfortably. For instance i cant play rg's low slung properly. my 2nd guitar an iceman ict-700 had different strap postions and its easier to play low slung.

You have an ICT-700... Those are f**** awsome.

This guy has a point, my second guitar had a floyd rose and though they are awsome to mess around with and get some cool sounds from they are also a real pain if its your only guitar and you like to play is lots of different tunings.
Quote by Darkdevil725
You have an ICT-700... Those are f**** awsome.

11lbs of stringthru neckthru awesomesauce
Ibanez, Schecter, Jackson, and ESP/LTD all have a reputation for making good quality budget models.
I would'nt reccommend buying one offline though, pop into your local guitar shop, just try as many guitars as you want, then come back and jump on the Ultimate Guitar reveiws section and check what other people think of them (I've nearly brought a few dud guitars before, and I'm thankfull for the internets that I didnt) and once you've made up your mind and you've found something comfy well there you go.
For Metal you will need some gain/distortion, you could try grabbing a cheap low-watt amp with a gain knob on it, But it'll probally sound like crap.
A better option, especially for beginners, is to buy a pedal featuring gain/distortion, which the settings can be modifed to your liking. Digitech makes some good ones for about 100 or 300 dollars which just plug into anything with a speaker on it pretty much.
Trem's are for slightly more advanced players.
Trust me, the day I first fitted in my Tremelo on my Strat copy I twisted it around like a luantic and broke it. The other half of the knob is still stuck in my guitar, ruined the bridge. Lol. Its a hardtail now hahh.
Unfortunately, all gear is subjective - you'll have to figure out what you like by playing everything you can get your hands on.

But, IMO the best company to go with as far as price/quality is concerned, is Ibanez. After that probably Jackson, but I haven't played a Jackson in a long time, so I don't really know for sure now.

What gear do you currently own, if any?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I wouldn't advise to read any UG reviews. 90% of them are written by 13 year olds who reviewed the guitar within the hour they got it. They are rarely helpful.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
I'd recommend Schecter, or my Cort, but I don't if you can get these over there. Most important thing is to get something that feels comfortable, at least that's what I go by most of the time.
Also - if this is your first guitar, and you're thinking about getting f.ex. an Ibanez with a Floyd Rose copy - don't. It will be a pain in the ass at the beginning, and you'll get discouraged. Not worth it IMO
Gear:
Electric
2008 Epiphone G400 Heritage CherryFUBAR
2008 Ibanez GRG 170 DX
2009 Cort KX1Q
2011 LTD H 351 NT
Randall RG 50 TC
Ernie Ball 11-54
Acoustic
Dean Markley
Dunlop 10's
I currently own no gear for a guitar. I got a bass and i have some experience on it but i find bass dreadfully boring now
Seems like a no-brainer. A fixed bridge RG(A) ibanez. Simply the most comfortable thing to play with its low-profile non tremolo bridge and thin neck (great upper fret access too), stays in tune pretty well and doesnt have pickups completely full of shite.

Ibanez RGA42

Ibanez RGR321EX

Jackson also has some models to suit a beginner's taste in the budget range:

Jackson JS32RT Dinky

Jackson JS22R Dinky

Those just dont seem that good of a buy compared to the Ibanez. Worse body wood, worse upper fret access, TOM bridge not so comfortable to play on a superstrat. The trem versions you can simply forget, they dont stay in tune well enough for a beginner -> frustration.

To my mind same goes with the low-end BC Riches, Schecters, Deans and LTDs.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I wouldn't advise to read any UG reviews. 90% of them are written by 13 year olds who reviewed the guitar within the hour they got it. They are rarely helpful.

Sadly, I must admit I wrote a reveiw of my Monterey V after a month or so of owning it.
That's when I was still still like a chicken on speed whenever I saw the damn thing.
Lol.
METAL!
Check out some Ibanez RG's, possibly some Epiphones, Agiles, some Jackson Dinky's
Quote by theogonia777
Lefthandedkid is super awesome, ja?

Quote by rgrockr
I guess fire extinguishers have to be filled with something other than fire retardant now, because apparently that's offensive.

Watch my stream?
Quote by ethansj1
What you need is a new amp.

I don't own a guitar or amp. why would i just need a amp?