I would like to know more about this style of lead playing. I think it sounds agressive and percussive, gives a nice energetic feel IMO

John fruiscante and John Mayer are two guitarists i noticed use this technique:
You can check it at 2:33/3:40 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEgUUTkqRRQ
Another example would be can't stop riff by RHCP

Can you give me tips about this style? Online tutorials would be cool too

Thanks
I've been learning Can't Stop for the past week or two. It sounds awesome when you nail the strumming, as opposed to just picking it.

The video linked above is what I used to help, but it's mainly getting the hang of coordinating your fingers to press when you want to and then mute when you want them to. Literally is practice, I'm slowly getting the hang of it. Still a way off though.

If you find any more resources - please link I'm loving this style, and would love to find more lessons/songs/hints.

Get the hang of using your thumb too.
Quote by Zordon
I also dig this. You basically play one or two notes and mute the rest of the strings. It may seem hard at the beginning, but what doesn't really.
The Can't Stop riff in particular is best explained here (from what I've found):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QDvDremY0A

That is a very good video but just to explain it a little more verbally as well:

The whole idea is to keep any notes you're not playing muted and strum all the strings at once, that way you get the dead string sounding with the note you're playing and you can put more force behind the attack as you don't need to worry about precision. Beyond that it's all not choice which is a whole different can of worms.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Coo,l that video alone is going to keep me busy for a while learning that riff and hopefully give some general skills in this style

Are there generic guidelines to follow does the way to mute vary too much dependig on the licks?

Edit- for other people interested John Mayer uses this style alot. Hard to pick stuff from the videos but i'll put anyway
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0ApfI-fcMs&feature=related
Last edited by Guitarra_acores at Apr 24, 2011,
Quote by Guitarra_acores
Coo,l that video alone is going to keep me busy for a while learning that riff and hopefully give some general skills in this style

Are there generic guidelines to follow does the way to mute vary too much dependig on the licks?

Edit- for other people interested John Mayer uses this style alot. Hard to pick stuff from the videos but i'll put anyway
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0ApfI-fcMs&feature=related

Well if you can do decent fret hand muting during less aggressive playing then this idea is just a more extreme version of that. Really as long as you keep all the strings that you don't want to use quiet and can get to the next note you want to use well it doesn't matter that much how you do it.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Well if you can do decent fret hand muting during less aggressive playing then this idea is just a more extreme version of that. Really as long as you keep all the strings that you don't want to use quiet and can get to the next note you want to use well it doesn't matter that much how you do it.

Thanks for the help... yeah i think i got some good muting technique it's something I've been aware of since i began practicing scales.
The main difference is I mute lower strings with right hand and those guys I mentioned seem to mute with thumb. Using the thumb like that feels a bit akward now but I guess it just takes practice
Quote by Guitarra_acores
Thanks for the help... yeah i think i got some good muting technique it's something I've been aware of since i began practicing scales.
The main difference is I mute lower strings with right hand and those guys I mentioned seem to mute with thumb. Using the thumb like that feels a bit akward now but I guess it just takes practice

You can easily enough do it with your fretting hand for that exact riff but if you want to fret anything on the higher strings and just bash away at the whole lot you're probably going to have to incorporate your thumb to at least mute the low E, I reckon.

To be honest, I'm not 100% on that, I'm mainly a shred and metal player so I don't do this style of playing much, I'm just aware of the theory of how it works. I can play that riff from Don't Stop but that's more or less it

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
You can easily enough do it with your fretting hand for that exact riff but if you want to fret anything on the higher strings and just bash away at the whole lot you're probably going to have to incorporate your thumb to at least mute the low E, I reckon.

To be honest, I'm not 100% on that, I'm mainly a shred and metal player so I don't do this style of playing much, I'm just aware of the theory of how it works. I can play that riff from Don't Stop but that's more or less it

Yeah never heard a metal song with that stuff lol.
It's cool though I got the basic idea just got to practice and get the hang of it