Jacob's Super Awesome Gaming Challenge. (Its On, Maybe We'll Play Donkey Kong).

Page 1 of 4
Hey guys, I got a decent reception from the interest thread. So now I am happy to present...

Jacob's Super Awesome Gaming Challenge!

This challenge is open to all willing to compete, both gamers and non-gamers. Get ready to learn a bit about classic gaming, while honing your skills, and earning flippin' sweet bragging rights! Its simple, every Sunday I will post a new challenge up in the thread. You will then record yourself completing that challenge. (Emulators, camcorders, and console/tv records accepted).

When you post your proof on this thread, everyone will watch it and be really jealous. And then I will take the points you earned and add them along with your name to a scoreboard. Where you will collect points based on all your challenges to rank you amongst the rest of UG's gamers. But who will be the "Ultimate-Gamer"? (Yes, I used it as a plug in for UG. Deal with it.) Its time to find out!

The Rules
- This is an honesty based challenge. Its true that you can lie and fake it using somebody else as the player or stealing somebody else's video. Just keep in mind that gets rid of all the fun.
- If a faker is caught, we will blacklist the faker from competing for a month. (And they will have to complete a special request challenge).
- We don't encourage emulation, but if you must, then go ahead. But please buy the real game later on if you enjoy it.
-You may enter one video a week. Youtube is our only accepted hosting site. Please tag all videos with "UG", "JacobTheMe", "Jacobs", "Gaming", "Challenge", and your username.
-To enter a video, you must post it in this thread. I don't check my pm's. And you will not be entered or written down in the thread until you post a video.

SCOREBOARD OF SWEET SKILLS
Nobody is on it yet? :{

CHALLENGE #1
Super Mario Speedrun! : Lets start off with the example. The game everyone knows and loves. But amazingly, not many people in the modern gaming scene have ever actually beat it! Whats up with that!? Come on guys its easy, you just have to learn about the pipes in world's...

Goals:
Casual (Worth 100 points): Beat Super Mario Bros. in less than 15 minutes.
Hardcore (Worth 150 points): Beat Super Mario Bros. in less than 12 minutes.

RESOURCES: Broke? System busted? Thats okay, you can still compete. I will not teach anyone about ROM's and emulation. (But google will). But there is also a decent flash version of the game. Its controls are awkward however, so its a last resort.

http://www.nescafeplay.com/playgame/supermario1

The challenge starts now!
Am I the only one that's never actually completed any Mario?
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by Trowzaa

You are missing out. Take the challenge and live for the first time.
Why do I feel like this thread has the potential to ruin any productivity in my life?
~Domino?

This life's too good to last
and I'm too young to care.

Musics
Follow me on Twitter, I'm cool.
We should post a tutorial of how to record in case somebody wants to take part and isn't really sure how.

>_>
<_<
Quote by Kyose
We should post a tutorial of how to record in case somebody wants to take part and isn't really sure how.

>_>
<_<

Alright. I could post some resources.

How are you planning on playing the game? (System, emulator, flash, etc.)?
Probably an emulator for this one, since I genuinely did own it before my NES broke.
Too bad most of these will be for Nintendo, I and was never a Nintendo guy, except for Pokemon. However, any Sonic/Crash Bandicoot challenges and I'm in.
Quote by Kyose
Probably an emulator for this one, since I genuinely did own it before my NES broke.

Alright. You have to record different emulators each way. I will not be linking, but I will make some recommendations. The easiest thing i've found is that some emulators have a "record AVI" option available on them. In which case you would just go to the menu and select it.

Snes9x_1.43 is a good emulator, you'll notice its a SNES emulator, thats because I actually suggest using a Super Mario Bros. All Stars rom. It will make recording easier.

Its not a great tutorial, but if you need any more help just ask.

Quote by bogeaqyt
Too bad most of these will be for Nintendo, I and was never a Nintendo guy, except for Pokemon. However, any Sonic/Crash Bandicoot challenges and I'm in.

Im not going to lie, I am a Nintendo fan boy. So there will be bias. However, I actually am looking to branching out as much as I can. I have some Genesis, Atari, TurboGrafx, and other games in the line up as well.
Going to get my PS3 controller working with the laptop, because I can't do it with M&K. Probably can't do it with a controller either, but worth a shot right.
Can anyone recommend some decent free recording software thingamajig?
Kyose, if you're reading this, what's the website you gave me to set up the PS3 controller with the computer again? If you're not reading this, you're in luck because I'm posting it in the GT too
Quote by bogeaqyt

Crash Bandicoot is indeed what's up.

Also, I'd recommend for future challenges, perhaps some fighting game tournaments. I'd highly recommend Killer Instinct since that game kicks the crap out of all the other easily emulated fighters, but I know everyone will want either MK or SF.
Last edited by cornmancer at Apr 24, 2011,
Quote by JacobTheMe
because I actually suggest using a Super Mario Bros. All Stars rom. It will make recording easier.

Blasphemy
Quote by Ichikurosaki
Touhou

Do touhou

This.

Quote by cornmancer
Kyose, if you're reading this, what's the website you gave me to set up the PS3 controller with the computer again? If you're not reading this, you're in luck because I'm posting it in the GT too

Also, I'd recommend for future challenges, perhaps some fighting game tournaments. I'd highly recommend Killer Instinct since that game kicks the crap out of all the other easily emulated fighters, but I know everyone will want either MK or SF.

Motioninjoy.

Agreed about some fighting game tournaments.
Definitely doing this after my exams finish. Unfortunately though, won't be before them, FAR too much work to be doing until then.
Quote by robhc
Definitely doing this after my exams finish. Unfortunately though, won't be before them, FAR too much work to be doing until then.

It's a speedrun, it doesn't take long at all
We will be doing a fighting game before long, I haven't decided on which. I thought i'd leave that up to the challengers.

I was personally thinking Killer Instinct, Street Fighter 2, or Mortal Kombat. But we'll get to it when we get to it.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
It's a speedrun, it doesn't take long at all

I've only completed SMB once before, don't know the game well at all. Need to practice a good bit before I can record a run I would be happy with.
Quote by cornmancer
An important question: Are warp zones allowed?

Well, considering it's impossible to do it in that time without them, I'd say yes.
Quote by Ichikurosaki

Its a speedrun
You know how they work, right?

I knew the goal was speed, but I didn't know if for some strange reason that was considered cheating

edit: Didn't notice the scoring system before.
Last edited by cornmancer at Apr 24, 2011,
Yes, I expect the use of pipes.

If you can do it without them then you are a freak.
Just for encouragement, the first person to complete the Hardcore challenge, gets an extra 25 points.
Quote by JacobTheMe
Just for encouragement, the first person to complete the Hardcore challenge, gets an extra 25 points.

Woah.

Points.
Quote by JacobTheMe

Hardcore challenge?
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Ah yes.

I see it now.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
This is goddamn hard. I'm trying to essentially do a speed run, with a time of about 6 minutes. But I keep dying! Maybe I should just take it slow and make it there in one piece, without save states.
Quote by Pat_s1t
This is goddamn hard. I'm trying to essentially do a speed run, with a time of about 6 minutes. But I keep dying! Maybe I should just take it slow and make it there in one piece, without save states.

Six minutes!? Thats crazy. The minimum is fifteen, so don't hurt yourself.
I can get to World 8 with no deaths under 2 minutes. Then it just goes all down hill from there. I'm trying to work out a pattern for 8-1, and it's working somewhat. I just need to keep practising.
Quote by Trowzaa

I have never completed one.

Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
After about 400000 save states, I finally beat World 8 again. I don't have enough time to keep going any more, since I'm going seal hunting in the morning and need a bit of sleep. I'll give it a go again when I get back tomorrow though.
Seems Nintendo are pretty strict with DRM on their first party titles. Remembered that I've downloaded the original Mario trilogy on my Wii through the VC so I'm sorted as to what to play it one though recording quality is going to take a massive blow.

Off to encourage my Dad to buy a huge pack of AA batteries.
Last edited by Kyose at Apr 25, 2011,
Page 1 of 4