Most people have probably heard about LaVey and his writing, the most well-known being The Satanic Bible. I was perusing Wikipedia and came upon the page for The Devil's Notebook. The thought of actually reading his works never peaked my interest because it always seemed like something an angsty goth kid in 8th grade would read, but then I read this description:

The book contains forty-one essays, each lined with the collected wisdom, humor, and dark observations of the founder of the Church of Satan. The High Priest speculates on such topics as nonconformity, occult faddism, Nazism, terrorism, cannibalism, erotic politics, the “Goodguy badge,” demoralization and the construction of artificial human companions.

It sounds like it would be pretty interesting to read. Has anyone read them? Opinions on the books?
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
I have not. But based on people's explanations here, Laveyan Satanism is equal parts Randian greediness and goth kid pretension.
I am not a rebellious 14 year old.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by LordBishek
Yeah, I read them. They were shit. They were bad atheists arguing badly for bad things.

See, that's what I was fearing. I was thinking it would have all the mystique of Mein Kampf, but also have the terrible writing.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Personally I'd be about as interested in this as in reading essays lined with the collected wisdom, humor and dark observations of the pope.
UG FORUM
Your 21st Century Ant Farm
Corroborating Sturgeon's Law Since 2003
Quote by Colgate Total
See, that's what I was fearing. I was thinking it would have all the mystique of Mein Kampf, but also have the terrible writing.

No, they're bollocks. Refer to Blackflag's post, he nailed it. They are clearly written by an erudite and charismatic man, but as they say, you can't polish a turd. It's not particularly long though, so if it's not too much trouble, read it anyway and see how not to do it, I guess?
I've only read the Satanic Bible. It made a few good, interesting points (the bit about the 7 Deadly Sins sticks out as one of my particular favourites) but the rest was just a bit silly.
Quote by CFH82
Ejaculate in MY moustache?!

Music is just wiggly air. Accept it or leave it.ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Colgate Total
Most people have probably heard about LaVey and his writing, the most well-known being The Satanic Bible. I was perusing Wikipedia and came upon the page for The Devil's Notebook. The thought of actually reading his works never peaked my interest because it always seemed like something an angsty goth kid in 8th grade would read, but then I read this description:

It sounds like it would be pretty interesting to read. Has anyone read them? Opinions on the books?

OffT, I love the stanhope sketch in your sig. Much props
Read it.
It's not really long [at least, the satanic bible wasn't] so you don't really lose. Some stuff may be interesting, some stuff may just sound crazy.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
I read it and still have it somewhere. There were one or two of the essays that were kind of funny/interesting, the rest were meh.

I bought it because I love hucksters, con-men, etc. Anyone who can come up with some obviously ridiculous crap and then get people to give them money for it, or devote their lives to it is always interesting to me.

Like Lavey, L. Ron Hubbard, the Heaven's Gate group, Allister Crowley, Ayn Rand, etc. Just fascinating.