In addition to my sweeping thread, I have a question about tapping. I am able to tap using different patterns, and add notes and such to those patterns. When I tap during a solo or lead part, does it work to just tap the notes of the scale? Is that how to make tapping sound good? or does it have to do with arpeggios of the chord/key being played over?

Any help is really appreciated. Thanks
Well the scale/chord/key would most likely be all connected as one with some exceptions

For started playing in the key of C Major
the scale would most likely be C Major
The chord/arpeggio would most likely be within C Major

Of course exceptions occur and it all depends on the song but use your ears, listen to the notes and hear if they sound correct.

Not everything needs to follow the guides of music 100% because we all no in the end if it sounds good, then its good and let the theory be drawn out from it afterwards
Tapping is just a technique, it doesn't change the notes that you use at all.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Martindecorum
Well the scale/chord/key would most likely be all connected as one with some exceptions

For started playing in the key of C Major
the scale would most likely be C Major
The chord/arpeggio would most likely be within C Major

Of course exceptions occur and it all depends on the song but use your ears, listen to the notes and hear if they sound correct.

Not everything needs to follow the guides of music 100% because we all no in the end if it sounds good, then its good and let the theory be drawn out from it afterwards

This, but you can tap an arpeggio out using the root, 3rd and the 5th of the notes in of the sczle that your using (key).
stay along with chord progression and according to your genre you can choose the approriate octave, to make it sound more evil you can use the closest keys.
Quote by strandeddemon
stay along with chord progression and according to your genre you can choose the approriate octave, to make it sound more evil you can use the closest keys.

What do you mean use the closest keys?

And okay so if anyone could answer this...lets say I have a progression G Em D...if I was tapping should I tap notes from the scale (G A B C D E F# G) or from the chord G (G B D) or could I do both?

Thanks so far for the help!
You could very well do both depending on the mood, to keep it easier at first follow the notes of the chord progression

BUT. it all depends on what you are trying to achieve. (Sigh, if music was easily understandable every man and his dog would do it)

I think he mean by closest key, by playing accidentals -- out of the key notes to create some discordant sounds.
Quote by BDags
What do you mean use the closest keys?

And okay so if anyone could answer this...lets say I have a progression G Em D...if I was tapping should I tap notes from the scale (G A B C D E F# G) or from the chord G (G B D) or could I do both?

Thanks so far for the help!

I'll say it again:

It's just a technique, choose the notes you use the same way you would normally. If you don't know how to choose notes outside of "this is a shape I use" then you've got bigger issues than learning how to tap in solos or improvisation anyway.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Listen to Zaphod.

It's just a technique, specifically one that allows you to hit intervals along a single string that are otherwise impossible on the guitar. Soundwise it's very fluid due to the lack of pick attack, it lends itself naturally to arpeggios as you've always got at least 3 notes going on.

But, as far as which notes to choose goes you choose them the same way as you'd always choose them - What sound do I want?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Tapping is just a technique, it doesn't change the notes that you use at all.

Yeh, pretty much this.

The only (possibly) more difficult thing is that you have to view the notes all along one string, rather than in a "box".