First, I just got a Marshall halfstack (G100RCD, yeah I know they say it sucks, but I don't use the amp itself for anything more than power to the speakers so yeah.) and it's 12 years old. It's a solid state, so how long should I expect it to last me? And would it hurt it to crank it to full volume full gain? It's 100watt max, the cab's 140watt RMS. ALSO, I'm trying to record videos of it and the distortion just sounds muddy... Any idea how I should go about recording it? Preferably with just my camcorder if that'd be possible. It has great speakers for people talking or even for lead playing, just not muddy rhythm distortion. Just asking you guys :P And FINALLY, I know how to do pinch harmonics, and I can do them fairly well IMO, but there are some that I just can't figure out how they get them to sound how they do. IE: Check the MAIN riff here and also the intro harmonics in this. Are they doing something special, or am I just missing it? Can't get that sound at all. Mine sound way more high pitched and less "fat," regardless of where I hit them (further towards the neck or closer to the bridge.)

Thanks,

Kodi
Last edited by kodihook at Apr 24, 2011,
It *should* last you indefinitely if you take care of it. Much less finicky than tube. Would it hurt to crank it? I doubt it, but it would certainly hurt your ears.

As for the muddy distortion, that's probably a combination of muddy amp distortion and cheap speakers. You might try to put your camera facing the cab directly to get a little more high end out of it but other than that....that's just how it is.

As for the pinches, thick strings, a *cranked tube amp* with a good bit of gain and really good technique.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Last edited by Artemis Entreri at Apr 24, 2011,
Quote by Artemis Entreri
It *should* last you indefinitely if you take care of it. Much less finicky than tube. Would it hurt to crank it? I doubt it, but it would certainly hurt your ears.

As for the muddy distortion, that's probably a combination of muddy amp distortion and cheap speakers. You might try to put your camera facing the cab directly to get a little more high end out of it but other than that....that's just how it is.

As for the pinches, thick strings, a *cranked tube amp* with a good bit of gain and really good technique.

I'm starting to figure out the harmonics actually. As far as the distortion, nah it sounds amazingly thick and tight coming from the cab. It's just after the recording it kind of sounds like... just weird man. Muddy, not clear, iunno what you'd say.

Thanks for the reply,

Kodi