Alright, so my 5150 started making an odd whirring noise. basically a high pitched woowoowoowoowoowoowooowooowoo. it only does it on the lad channel, or when it is on clean and I turn on my fuzz pedal. It stated doing this a week ago and since then I have retubed all of my pre-amp and power tubes because i thought it was it was a couple of tubes gone mircophonic, and it really needed new tubes anyways with the muddy sound my clean channel was starting to get. The other odd part is that it only does it after I play a song in which I'm using my fuzz, chorus, and wah all together (its Sweet Dream by Marilyn Manson, and yes its boring as **** to play). Another bit of info is that for a while I was running the amp off the 16/8 ohm out(I called peavey and they said it would work with either a 16ohm or an 8ohm cab going through it as the aux. out is set up to work with both, though I'm still a little iffy on whether that may have caused the problem of not.

In Short, My amp is making a high pitched whirring noise and it is not from microphonic tubes, what could it be?
ESP Eclipse Standard Series W/ PRS Santana II Pickups
PRS SE Soapbar II
Peavey 5150 120w Head
Avatar 412 Traditional Cab(v30's+G12H30's)
Malekko, Rocktron, T-Rex and MXR/Dunlop pedals
It does, right now it is in the practice room about 15 mils away, so I can't test tonight. Any other ideas to try in case this doesn't fix it? I doubt I'm going to like what that'll do to my sound.
PRS SE Soapbar II
Peavey 5150 120w Head
Yeah basically presence and resonance is like the fine tuning of your low and high frequencies so it will change your sound, but just find a balance i suppose (I can't remember which one adjust what frequency)

As for other possible causes I dont quiet no but others will chime in shortly
Try unplugging the cable from the end of your pedalboard and touching the tip of it then plugging it back in again. I do this each time i turn mine on and it makes it alot less noisy.
My gear:
  • Fender American Standard Telecaster
  • Ibanez RG450
  • Laney VC15
  • Electro Harmonix HOG
  • Vox Satchurator
  • Blackout Effectors Musket fuzz
  • Electro Harmonix Pulsar
  • Earthquaker Devices Disaster Transport
  • Malekko Chicklett

Bump for more ideas please? I have a gig in a couple weeks and want to use this amp
PRS SE Soapbar II
Peavey 5150 120w Head