Poll: Should singer's use backing tracks for harmonies?
Poll Options
View poll results: Should singer's use backing tracks for harmonies?
Sure, it just makes it sound better
40 25%
Nig, I aint even give half a shit
58 36%
No, that's cheating your audience
64 40%
Voters: 162.
Page 1 of 3
Just finished watching Nightwish's DVD and found myself thoroughly annoyed at Tarja's use of backing and harmony vocal tracks during a live performance. I've always felt that a live performance should only have a backing track if absolutely necessary (orchestras, etc.) How do you guys feel about using backing tracks for vocal parts during a live performance?
Check out my band Disturbed
Last edited by StewieSwan at Apr 25, 2011,
Quote by StewieSwan
Just finished watching Nightwish's DVD and found myself thoroughly annoyed at Tarja's use of backing and harmony vocal tracks during a live performance. I've always felt that a live performance should only have a backing track if absolutely necessary (orchestras, etc.) How do you guys feel about using backing tracks for vocal parts during a live performance?

Should vocalists use something that means that their vocals are gonna sound better?

Nooo, only f4gzzz use backing trackz. I likz my vox to be hoarse and off key live. I hate it when Pop stars are all IN TUNE!! ghay
I think every singer should use Auto Tune live
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
If it sounds good and looks good, it's good.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

if it's done well, okay.

I think it's better to just have a band talente enough to sing harmony parts. anyone with basic ear training could do it. singing lead takes a lot of talent, simply hitting pitches for texture is easy enough that it should be used over recorded tracks.
#DTWD
Quote by StewieSwan

I know, these people should learn to harmonise with themselves.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
I don't think they should, get the guitarists/bassist/drummer/trainglist to sing harmonies.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

I usually prefer the instrumentalists to do backing vocals but I don't have too much of a problem with backing tracks, as long as it's not excessive and there are still live vocals as well
Quote by Lemoninfluence
I know, these people should learn to harmonise with themselves.

Or perhaps other band members hurr
It depends. If they can get a live, backup singer to do it, yes. If not, then no. I'd say it's awful hard for most backup singers to do Tarja's vocals.

(Btw, I'm glad she's out of the band. Gah...their music is much better than the last CD with Tarja now. Only good song was "I Wish I Had An Angel".)
Quote by StewieSwan
Or perhaps other band members hurr

or perhaps a backing track.

HOLYSHITBALLSAREVELATION!

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
i am always against it. i have seen a lot of concerts of many genres and i always hate it. if you need backing vocals get another member of the band to sing with you or hire an extra vocalist for the tour.

i would say its not the vocal track that sounds bad. it is the band that needs to play the song exactly like the studio version so the backing track matches. i go to concerts so that i can see a 'one night only' experience. if the band is constricted to playing along with a track they cant really do that.

Last years Alice in Chains tour really made me disappointed. The new lead vocalist sang along to all the old albums vocal tracks. If i wanted to hear that, I would have listened to the CD.
Quote by Lemoninfluence

Well if that's the case maybe I should start harmonizing my solos with a backing guitar track. Shit maybe I'll just have a backing track play my whole damn part.
Quote by StewieSwan
Well if that's the case maybe I should start harmonizing my solos with a backing guitar track. Shit maybe I'll just have a backing track play my whole damn part.

go for it.

Quote by element4433
Quote by StewieSwan

It would certainly help Dragonforce.
I don't like it. The reason people go to concerts is to hear the music live. Not some recorded, some live. I've always respected a band more if the other band members can sing the harmonies.
Quote by Lemoninfluence

yeah and why have a band either? a backing track would be much more efficient and in time. and why even have the singer? we could make that prerecorded too. we'll sell em! CDs we'll call them.
#DTWD
Quote by StewieSwan

This is true too, you could take all of this kind to its logical extreme and not even play anything on stage.

Why even turn up, just get the venue to put in a CD of the songs and play it out the PA system.
Quote by Zoot Allures
This is true too, you could take all of this kind to its logical extreme and not even play anything on stage.

post-music, bro.
#DTWD
Quote by primusfan
yeah and why have a band either? a backing track would be much more efficient and in time. and why even have the singer? we could make that prerecorded too. we'll sell em! CDs we'll call them.

as long as people pay to go see it and are thoroughly pleased and entertained, what does it matter?
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
From a singer's perspective, they're a bitch to use live. And I don't really think they're worth the trouble.
Quote by primusfan

Plenty of solo artists do sing to a backing track live.

my point is that if you can't do something one way (say harmonising a solo because you've only got one guitarist, or harmonising vocal lines because the other band members either aren't confident enough to do it or haven't practiced enough, etc.) then I don't really see the problem with having a backing track (should you choose to do it).

Next you'll be telling me amplifiers are the devil's box and people shouldn't use microphones because belting it out at the top of your voice is more natural.

Quote by element4433
Quote by Zoot Allures

Why even turn up, just get the venue to put in a CD of the songs and play it out the PA system.

That's called DJing.
Quote by NoLaurelTree000
as long as people pay to go see it and are thoroughly pleased and entertained, what does it matter?

If you bought tickets to see a band you like playing a gig, and you turned up and the band sat on stage whilst a CD of some of their songs played out the PA system for a couple of hours would you be pleased?
Avenged Sevenfold uses backing vocals for songs that the rev sings in, RIP.
Quote by NoLaurelTree000

some people's jobs are at stake. like mine. it's like factory workers laid off because machines can do their jobs cheaper.
#DTWD
Quote by StewieSwan

Solo's in harmony with the backing guitar is always helpful

But anyway, being able to play so many parts live without needing loads of instrumentalists is actually the only reason I and many others get to play out live. It's actually great to just take your computer out with you on the road and: be able to tweak your songs whilst you drive to and from gigs, be able to change levels yourself on stage, know that nothing will be out of tune or out of time, actually get to play songs you've written live and be in full control of your music.

Please recognise what being able to use extensive backing tracks allows performers to do.
The band Tesseract has a vocalist to do all the main vocals and their bassist does backing vocals when he can. But they still use a backing vocal track, as well as for ambience and all that, because there isn't any other way to provide the texture of their songs another way. Without it, it would just feel incomplete.

I think a backing track would definitely add to the experience if it was a necessity.
I think it's a little far to say "That's cheating your audience." I don't know if I agree with that, but I still think excessive backing tracks is kinda lame.
Quote by primusfan
some people's jobs are at stake. like mine. it's like factory workers laid off because machines can do their jobs cheaper.

How is your job at stake because some singers decide to use backing tracks for harmonies rather than get their tone deaf bassist to sing it?
Quote by Lemoninfluence
Plenty of solo artists do sing to a backing track live.

my point is that if you can't do something one way (say harmonising a solo because you've only got one guitarist, or harmonising vocal lines because the other band members either aren't confident enough to do it or haven't practiced enough, etc.) then I don't really see the problem with having a backing track (should you choose to do it).

Next you'll be telling me amplifiers are the devil's box and people shouldn't use microphones because belting it out at the top of your voice is more natural.

while I do think that amplification is abused (as a double bassist I see it all the time), I'm not against amps because they don't put musicians out of work.
#DTWD
Quote by primusfan
while I do think that amplification is abused (as a double bassist I see it all the time), I'm not against amps because they don't put musicians out of work.

big bands sort of fizzled out with amplification.

Quote by element4433
Well yeah, if it's like Bohemian Rhapsody, gotta have some backup. But if it was like the Beatles just takin' the easy route that would bother me.
Keep you doped with religion and sex and TV
And you think you're so clever and class less and free
But you're still fucking peasants as far as I can see

A working class hero is something to be.
Quote by willT08
How is your job at stake because some singers decide to use backing tracks for harmonies rather than get their tone deaf bassist to sing it?

because I'm a bassist who can sing harmonies. that's potential work. and I'm not saying I'm entitled to make money playing music. I accepted things like this when I chose my career. but I don't know why recordings are ever preferable to live bands except for money concerns.
#DTWD
Page 1 of 3