Page 1 of 3
possibly.

http://www.thedaily.com/page/2011/04/24/042411-news-god-particle-1-3/

Link above, and I've copied the text from gizmodo (it's more fun to read than the daily) below:

Did scientists running the massive Large Hadron Collider finally discover what Einstein eloquently hypothesized was the "mind of God" for the last 30 years of his life? Possibly, yes, if a memo leaked this week turns out to be legitimate.

The memo, which it should definitely be noted has not been properly vetted or undergone peer review, details the discovery of the Higgs Boson, aka "God Particle," which could theoretically be the lynchpin in an equally grandiose-sounding "Theory of Everything." In the most basic of layman's terms, the Higgs is theoretically responsible for giving all particles in the Universe mass.

But—and this is the really important part—did they really find it this time?

Unclear. Please shake and consult again at a later date. Basically, this was a leaked memo, not a peer reviewed scientific paper, and there are any number of reasons a document of this magnitude would be disseminated in such a fashion. Not all of them are good.

Hans Georg Ritter, a physicist at the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory in California, noted that there might be strategic reasons to leak unvetted results of the sort contained in the memo. "If the stakes are high and if there is competition, the collaborations tend to try to publish earlier than under normal conditions," Ritter wrote in an email. "But those publications have still to follow the scientific process. I think [leaks] are generated as a means of internal positioning for credit." One commenter on Woit's blog had a less skeptical perspective: "Keeping secret the work of 2,000 persons in the age of Internet is just impossible."

Internal positioning for credit! Sometimes I forget that I share so much DNA and evolutionary heritage with scientists. If we don't consider their big, powerful brains, they're all talking crap behind their friends' backs in the office break room just like me!

But! If—and this is a big if—the Higgs has been discovered, the world of physics and humanity could be on the brink of unlocking (or at the very least understanding) some truly fantastical things.

"It's going to open the floodgates for a whole new branch of theoretical physics," [theoretical physicist] Michio Kaku told The Daily. "There are some eternal questions that cannot be answered in the framework of conventional physics. Is time travel possible? Are there gateways to other universes? Are there parallel dimensions?"

Again, all big if's, and if this un-vetted paper is anything like the "We totally found methane alien life in California" debacle form a few months back, it could really be nothing at all. Just an accidentally forwarded email from a scientist at one of the most important particle accelerators in the world regarding literally the biggest physics finding in the history of mankind. No big deal.

In related news, April has been an incredibly hot month for new particles and physics in general. As for the Higgs, the debunking has already begun with physicists like Tommaso Dorigo, a particle physicist at Fermilab and CERN, who has "bet" $1,000 the memo is bogus and the anomaly will be explained away as nothing. But that's science for you.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Last edited by fearofthemark at Apr 24, 2011,
Quote by Dreadnought
Super interesting!

Please keep us posted

will do!
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

I don't get how this proves there's a God?
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Hory shet

EDIT:

This doesn't (As far as I can tell) have anything to do with religion guys. Just a name.
BRIAN. SCHNEIDER.
Quote by blue_strat
Hardly.

Hardly anything can prove/disprove god, stop trying and devote time to something a little more important... how about that cancer? Pretty sure it'll exist whether or not God is real
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
Quote by darkcheef
Religion: 1

Atheists: 0

missedthepoint.jpg
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

Quote by darkcheef
Religion: 1

Atheists: 0

How so?
Look!

Learn how to spell, grammar is your friend

Member #11 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join.

Blues player of the Laney Cult
“We’ll just have to wait and see,” Roser told The Daily

*fast forward months later* Nothing...

I hope they really did find it and that it leads to some scientific advancements.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy
Quote by The_Blode
^ I'm sorry your highness I forgot that I'm subhuman. . .

Quote by ErikLensherr
Normani
Normani
Normies
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
lol theres trolls calling this proving religion

getting trolled by guys saying that this doesnt prove god

who are both trolling the idiots who believe they arent trolling

/triple trolls
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
This is SO much more fascinating than the alleged existence of a god. The most important particle in the universe has just been discovered, one that could make time travel possible, and the first thing people think of is, "lol atheists were wrong." ?

Quote by SadusAttack
Astrophysics prove God exists.

Problem, logic?

fixed
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

Last edited by fearofthemark at Apr 24, 2011,
Quote by fearofthemark
missedthepoint.jpg

You should probably highlight the parts that say what a Higgs Boson is and the big "ifs" you were saying for people who aren't taking the time to read this

But thanks for posting this I actually was reading up on this when they were first announcing they may have discovered a particle, or force, similiar to a Higgs Boson
Quote by ErikLensherr
Don't belittle it like that, your mom produces top quality stuff.

C4C
[thread="1339859"]Hammerhead[/thread]
[thread="1341152"]Anglerfish[/thread]

VOTE
Thrustor: 2012
Quote by vicarious46
You should probably highlight the parts that say what a Higgs Boson is and the big "ifs" you were saying for people who aren't taking the time to read this

But thanks for posting this I actually was reading up on this when they were first announcing they may have discovered a particle, or force, similiar to a Higgs Boson

If people don't want to read it, it's their problem. Why go on a forum filled with text if they don't want to read?

and no problem
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

Quote by darkcheef
missedthejoke.jpg

oops

Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

Quote by djentdjent
“We’ll just have to wait and see,” Roser told The Daily

*fast forward months later* Nothing...

This.
Quote by bass-man9712
Hardly anything can prove/disprove god, stop trying and devote time to something a little more important... how about that cancer? Pretty sure it'll exist whether or not God is real

I don't try either way, I just point out flawed logic.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Don't get sarcasm?

It's 3am. My sarcasm detector is a little low on juice.
Last edited by blue_strat at Apr 24, 2011,
Everyone shut up about this 'could lead to time travel' bull. You make it sound you know what you're talking about, which is a problem since you clearly don't.
Quote by jambi_mantra
I don't get how this proves there's a God?
It doesn't. It's satire. At least, the actual name of the object is. The discovery of the object itself isn't.
(Or is it?...)
Quote by BumbleBoned
Everyone shut up about this 'could lead to time travel' bull. You make it sound you know what you're talking about, which is a problem since you clearly don't.

Steve Jobs guy,

why so angry though? this isnt an apple thread.

it 'could possibly lead to time travel' can you disprove that?

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Quote by BumbleBoned

I take it you do?
Quote by BumbleBoned

Ok Dr. MrScientistguy, what's this discovery gonna do for us then?
C'mon, I mean we understand the concept BUT WE BETTER NOT DISCUSS IT... in that case you MUST know what this possible discovery means
Quote by ErikLensherr
Don't belittle it like that, your mom produces top quality stuff.

C4C
[thread="1339859"]Hammerhead[/thread]
[thread="1341152"]Anglerfish[/thread]

VOTE
Thrustor: 2012
Quote by JimmyBanks6
Steve Jobs guy,

why so angry though? this isnt an apple thread.

it 'could possibly lead to time travel' can you disprove that?

Yet more originality with the 'Steve Jobs' shit. Haven't heard that one before.

Me catching my toast in the morning could possibly lead to time travel. Suggestion that the Higgs Boson will lead to any substantial time travel whatsoever is completely ignorant and reminiscent of the crap spouted by the tabloid media.
Quote by BumbleBoned
Yet more originality with the 'Steve Jobs' shit. Haven't heard that one before.

Me catching my toast in the morning could possibly lead to time travel. Suggestion that the Higgs Boson will lead to any substantial time travel whatsoever is completely ignorant and reminiscent of the crap spouted by the tabloid media.

You rage on anyone who doesnt like apple, how isnt Steve Jobs understandable?

you sound like an angry dude, time to take a chill pill.

If everyone thought like you did, we would have never advanced out of living in caves.
"ah hurduh urdur NO YOU CANT THIS DISCOVERY WILL DO NOTHING SCRAP ALL SCIENCE"

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Quote by BumbleBoned

Me catching my toast in the morning could possibly lead to time travel.

Everyone shut up about this 'Me catching my toast in the morning could lead to time travel' bull. You make it sound you know what you're talking about, which is a problem since you clearly don't.
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

Quote by vicarious46
Ok Dr. MrScientistguy, what's this discovery gonna do for us then?
C'mon, I mean we understand the concept BUT WE BETTER NOT DISCUSS IT... in that case you MUST know what this possible discovery means

The discovery would simply confirm, dismiss or alter the standard model, and potentially provide evidence of what is anticipated to be the final elementary particle, alongside the other bosons and fermions. The Higgs Boson pertains to the implantation of mass, which has the same chance of leading to time travel as any other fundamental physical discovery of the last 50 years, whether it be gluons/WZ bosons/quarks/leptons etc.

It doesn't really mean anything at all in relation to time travel.
Last edited by BumbleBoned at Apr 24, 2011,
Quote by JimmyBanks6
You rage on anyone who doesnt like apple, how isnt Steve Jobs understandable?

you sound like an angry dude, time to take a chill pill.

If everyone thought like you did, we would have never advanced out of living in caves.
"ah hurduh urdur NO YOU CANT THIS DISCOVERY WILL DO NOTHING SCRAP ALL SCIENCE"

What?

I don't rage on anyone who doesn't like Apple in the slightest. For the 17th time I own a HTC desire. I can just see both sides of an argument, rather than jumping on the fanboywagon at the first oppurtunity.

As for the second bit, I don't even know what you're talking about. When have I said scrap all science? I've just said that to proclaim that it could lead to time travel is preposterous.
Quote by BumbleBoned
The discovery would simply confirm, dismiss or alter the standard model, and potentially provide evidence of what is anticipated to be the final elementary particle, alongside the other bosons and fermions. The Higgs Boson pertains to the implantation of mass, which has the same chance of leading to time travel as any other fundamental physical discovery of the last 50 years, whether it be gluons/WZ bosons/quarks/leptons etc.

It doesn't really mean anything at all in relation to time travel.

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/large-hadron-collider-could-unlock-secret-of-time-travel/765267/

repeat that again, please?
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

Quote by EMGs_rule
TS, you might like this too, if you haven't heard already
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-13000253

I've heard about it, but I never followed up. that's awesome!
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

TS, don't put "FOUND!" in the title if they haven't actually confirmed it yet -_-
Quote by severed-metal
Come to think of it, my penis should've listened to more death metal.

Quote by Morphogenesis26
So my question is. Can Pre-Cum fluid pass through my underwear, my jeans, onto and through her jeans, through her underwear, and impregnate her?
Page 1 of 3