I've started to save for a new tube amp. In a few months I should have around $600 dollars to spend. I've been looking at used amps on eBay and watching demos on YouTube. Right now I'm looking at a 40w Marshall dsl, a 60w peavey 6505 and a peavey classic 30. I play in a punk/alternative/ska/hardcore band and would like to know which one of those would be best to get. Some of my favorite guitar tones are Kurt Cobain's, Jimmy Page's, Steve Jones's and Lyle Preslar's. Thanks in advance.
I am confused TS, do you want a tone for your band, or a tone for your favs, cause I look and I really dont see similarities, plus if you cobains tone, all you need to do is find a amp, turn it on, and play 3 chords.......POOF you are kurt cobain.
Last edited by Moose_Guitarist at Apr 24, 2011,
I guess I'm mostly looking for a good hardcore punk or grunge amp with decent cleans for ska and classic rock.
Dude, you should get the new Blackstar HT5 with reverb. My friend just got his a few days ago and it sounds amazing.
Out of those three the DSL is going to be the best if you want both those vintage tones and the hardcore ones. It depends on how much you do hardcore. For the more vintage tones I'd say the Classic 30 is the best. The 6505 isn't going to be the best for ska.

Take a look at one of the Jet City heads. They should be able to do what you need.
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
They are all great amps but you should choose one for the style your band plays first. Though I'm sure you can squeeze out many different good sounding tones from all of those amplifiers with the right pairing of a guitar and dialing it in just right. I personally would pick the 6505. Lots of gain but has the ability to be tamed into a smoother distortion sound which will get you close to a classic rock tone. I have never been impressed by a Marshall JCM. Not enough bite for me...always sounds muddled to my ears. Never heard a classic 30 though.
Quote by Naruto00121
Dude, you should get the new Blackstar HT5 with reverb. My friend just got his a few days ago and it sounds amazing.

He plays in a band, that HT5 isn't going to cut it in that situation.
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
Quote by MetalUpYourRear
If you want cleans, dont get the 6505. i can tell you that much.

I disagree. Sure it gets a little dirty as the volume rolls up but for Ska that works pretty nicely.
Classic 30 with a OD pedal should get you all you need. It'll have great cleans if I remember correctly, and with a pedal you should be able to do hardcore.

EDIT: Shop used and the Classic 30 can be had on the cheap.
Last edited by OceansBetweenUs at Apr 24, 2011,
Quote by OceansBetweenUs
Classic 30 with a OD pedal should get you all you need. It'll have great cleans if I remember correctly, and with a pedal you should be able to do hardcore.

This. The cleans on the Classic 30 are not bad at all. Especially if you still wana use it for high gain stuff.
Quote by OceansBetweenUs

I'm not quite sure the Classic 30 is voiced for some of the more hardcore tones TS is going after. It'd be a great fit for the other stuff, and it will have enough gain with and OD added in front of it. But I still don't think it'll have a close enough voicing.
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
Quote by Major Sparky
He plays in a band, that HT5 isn't going to cut it in that situation.

Depends on if he can run the direct-out through a PA. That's plenty loud.
PRS Tremonti Signature (charcoal burst)
Gibson Les Paul Studio Nitro (electric lime)
PRS SE One
---
EVH 5150 III 50w / 5150 III 212 cab
Blackstar HT-5
Quote by Moose_Guitarist
I am confused TS, do you want a tone for your band, or a tone for your favs, cause I look and I really dont see similarities, plus if you cobains tone, all you need to do is find a amp, turn it on, and play 3 chords.......POOF you are kurt cobain.

Kurt use a modded Boss DS-1 though some Marshall of some kind if I remember correctly. FYI.

I would go with a Valveking, the 6L6 power tubes will give a better fit for the type of tones your going for. Although, the Classic 30 would do rather well in it's own right.
Quote by 3volved
Depends on if he can run the direct-out through a PA. That's plenty loud.

That's a big if. Regardless the HT5 is hardly the best he can do.
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
I just bought a 6505+ combo a few days ago after a long time of considering and let me tell you, it was worth every single penny. I play everything from Classic Rock to the heaviest of heavy metal and it suits all of my needs. I am also in a band and it keeps up with the drummer easily and blows away my friends vox. This thing is amazing and if you dont believe me, look up some videos on youtube about it. Thats my opinion on it but all of the other suggestions are good too.
I probably shouldn't have been so vague in the op. I mostly want something similar to the tone on Bleach but for some songs I'd like something more similar to the Sex Pistols or the Clash. Cleans are important but if an amp sounds almost perfect for the other two sounds I want then I will be okay with just average cleans.
Quote by fuzzpedal
I probably shouldn't have been so vague in the op. I mostly want something similar to the tone on Bleach but for some songs I'd like something more similar to the Sex Pistols or the Clash. Cleans are important but if an amp sounds almost perfect for the other two sounds I want then I will be okay with just average cleans.

The Peavey Classic 30 and the Marshall DSL 401 would both be great for that. As would a Marshall JCM900 combo (perfect punk amp).
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
Jet City 50 watt head that'll give you cleans and the hxc distortion.
Current Rig:

Eppy SG w/Swineheads, Marshall DSL 5c, Joyo Vintage OD, Joyo British Sound, Sounds Sounds Fuzz Face, GGG Guv'nor, Dr. Boogie Pedal, Crybaby in Red Sparkle, Digitech Hardwire Delay

The things I would do for a Les Paul...
Quote by fuzzpedal

Bleach was recorded on a fender twin of some sort with a distortion pedal for the distortion (not sure what, maybe more than just one for the album but still)