BEFORE YOU ASK:
Budget: Whatever. Preferably less than $200 though.

Genre: Metal of all sorts really. My description of the EQ I'm looking for will help you more than the genre I play though.

Current Rig: Peavey 6505+ 112 w/V30 and JJ tubes. ISP Decimator and Digitech Digidelay are sometimes used as well.

Guitar in Question: Ibanez RG 7620 with Dimarzio New 7/New 7

The current problem:
I don't like the Dimarzio New 7's on my Ibanez RG 7620. They're alright for stock, but I find that I'm fighting them more often than not. The bridge is uncontrollable on the gain and it feedbacks quite often even on lower gain settings (this is not present on either of my other 2 guitars, leading me to blame the pickups). In addition, there are not nearly enough mids on it, so I always feel as if I'm being muffled.

The current neck pup is smooth and close to what I like, but it also doesn't have enough mids or presence.

On my amp I usually boost mids (via the amps onboard EQ) and cut bass to taste.
Gain is usually set on 3.5-5 on my other two guitars. On this current guitar, I usually have to set it to about 6.5 to get to the gain level I like (which makes the feedback worse).

As much as I'd like to get some EMG 707's (since the 85's are pretty much exactly the tone I'm looking for) and slap them in here, I really don't want to have this guitar routed if I can help it. So I'm looking for an alternative (maybe I'll like the alternative more).

I'd like to stay away from Seymour Duncan because I've never really had a good experience with them. So basically, this is a Dimarzio showdown at this point.

What I'm looking for:
I like a lot of mids and enough treble to provide clarity (I like treble, just not that shrill ice picky treble like in a lot of Steve Vai songs). I don't like a lot of bass if I can help it (enough to provide texture, but not overbearing).

I'm looking for something that has tight gain control (my #1 issue with the New 7's), lots of mids, clarity on the B string and at least at little presence in the mix. If it helps, this guitar will almost always be in Standard Tuning.

I'm not much of a clean player, and I can usually get a good or passable clean sound from just about any pickup/guitar that isn't total shit, but my only requirement on cleans is that if I turn down the tone knob it sounds jazzy without losing a lot of presence (my other main complaint about the New 7's. My EMG 85's and my ToneZone keep their presence while still remaining somewhat jazzy whereas the New 7's seem to mud up. See my MP3's on my profile for an example of the kind of clean I'm expecting. I'm assuming that more mids in the tonality of the pickup will aid in this aspect).

Currently I'm looking at the following setups for passives:

Dimarzio D' Activator 7/D' Activator 7
Dimarzio Blaze Custom/Blaze Neck
Dimarzio Evolution 7/Air Norton 7

Currently I'm leaning to the D' Activators since they're based on EMG's (even though I hate the EMG 81, I'll give the bridge D' Activator a shot if need be) followed by the Blaze Custom (by the description on the site).

Can anybody shed some light on these pickups and the qualities I should expect from them in comparison to my New 7's?

Also, before anyone recommends them, please don't suggest the Crunch Lab or LiquiFire. I like John Petrucci and think he's an amazing guitarist but I've never been a big fan of his tone (Dunno why.)
Guitars:
Ibanez RG7421 (MIJ) Dimarzio SD-7/AN-7
ESP LTD EC407 (stock)
Ibanez S320 (Tone Zone/PAF Pro)
ESP LTD EC1000 (stock)
Seagull C-6 Concert Acoustic
Godin MultiAc Nylon Encore

Amps:
Peavey 6505
Peavey 6505+
Marshall DSL100
Mesa Boogie Tremoverb
Mesa Boogie 412 Rectifier Standard Cab
Randall Iso112

Pedals:
Horizon Devices Precision Overdrive
ISP Decimator
Maxon OD808
MXR Carbon Copy
Shure GLX wireless system
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus
Last edited by rlheart at Apr 25, 2011,
If the D-activator 7 is anything like the regular, 6-string version, then do not get them. My Ibanez XPT700 has a set of them, and they seem to have everything that you don't want - a lot of bass, little of everything else - there is not a whole lot of definition there. They do have a lot of gain, but I'm having difficulties getting a tight tone with the guitar. It's a bit better if I turn up the presence to almost full on my amp, but I still don't think they'd be the pickups for you, or for anyone else, really. They're OK if they come stock in a guitar, otherwise they're a downer.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
Quote by The^Unforgiven
If the D-activator 7 is anything like the regular, 6-string version, then do not get them. My Ibanez XPT700 has a set of them, and they seem to have everything that you don't want - a lot of bass, little of everything else - there is not a whole lot of definition there. They do have a lot of gain, but I'm having difficulties getting a tight tone with the guitar. It's a bit better if I turn up the presence to almost full on my amp, but I still don't think they'd be the pickups for you, or for anyone else, really. They're OK if they come stock in a guitar, otherwise they're a downer.

That's really too bad to hear. I keep hearing that they're really bright though.

Our amps are similar enough to where we should hear close to the same result too.

One thing to keep in mind though, is that my RG 7620 is basswood while that Xiphos is going to be mahogany.

Well anyways, unless I hear otherwise, I'll go ahead and scratch D'Activators.

Thanks for the input man.
Guitars:
ESP LTD EC407 (stock)
ESP LTD EC1000 (stock)

Amps:
Peavey 6505
Peavey 6505+
Marshall DSL100
Mesa Boogie Tremoverb
Randall Iso112

Pedals:
ISP Decimator
Maxon OD808
MXR Carbon Copy
I like the ToneZone with the 7620's Basswood body if you like nice Mids and warms. The Clean on this is pretty meh. Coil-tapped, it can sound like a Tele.

The Air Norton is pretty smooth in a nice way, nice Lows and decent Mids. Awesome for leads.

The Evo is hot and can sound a bit trebly and thin. Tapped, sounds like a hot Strat SC. If you like Gain, the low B can sound horrible.

The Blaze is very Middy, as in full, not mushy. I like the Lows on this, specially through G12K100s or Swamp Thangs.

Did you measure out the space in the control cavity to see if you could possibly fit a 9v battery in there?
Esp Ltd M-401 with EMG 60 at the neck 18v Mod
Esp Ltd EC-1000 stbc 18v Mod
MXR M-116 Fullbore Metal \m/
MXR MC-404 CAE Wah
Quote by Ippon
I like the ToneZone with the 7620's Basswood body if you like nice Mids and warms. The Clean on this is pretty meh. Coil-tapped, it can sound like a Tele.

The Air Norton is pretty smooth in a nice way, nice Lows and decent Mids. Awesome for leads.

The Evo is hot and can sound a bit trebly and thin. Tapped, sounds like a hot Strat SC. If you like Gain, the low B can sound horrible.

The Blaze is very Middy, as in full, not mushy. I like the Lows on this, specially through G12K100s or Swamp Thangs.

I do like gain. So the Evo 7 is out.

Which Blaze are you talking about here btw? Cause from the way you just described it, I want a Blaze/Blaze Custom and an Air Norton (unless the Blaze neck is good too lol)

Quote by mattmac901
Did you measure out the space in the control cavity to see if you could possibly fit a 9v battery in there?

Don't have to. My RG 321 Mh has the same size cavity and I fit one in there just fine. Also, EMG's are what I'm going to resort to if none of these Passives work out.
Guitars:
ESP LTD EC407 (stock)
ESP LTD EC1000 (stock)

Amps:
Peavey 6505
Peavey 6505+
Marshall DSL100
Mesa Boogie Tremoverb
Randall Iso112

Pedals:
ISP Decimator
Maxon OD808
MXR Carbon Copy
Last edited by rlheart at Apr 25, 2011,
painkiller 7
They are the best google em
Gear:
Peavey 6505 120W Head
Ibanez Rga32 (FOR SALE)
Laney Lv412a Cab(FOR SALE)
Soon To Get::
Boss DD20
Morley Bad Horsie II
Quote by deepsal
painkiller 7
They are the best google em

I'd rather not import pickups.
Guitars:
ESP LTD EC407 (stock)
ESP LTD EC1000 (stock)

Amps:
Peavey 6505
Peavey 6505+
Marshall DSL100
Mesa Boogie Tremoverb
Randall Iso112

Pedals:
ISP Decimator
Maxon OD808
MXR Carbon Copy
its upto you my friend got it delivered at his home for 7500 inr divide it by 47 to get the price in $$
its the best se7en pickup
Gear:
Peavey 6505 120W Head
Ibanez Rga32 (FOR SALE)
Laney Lv412a Cab(FOR SALE)
Soon To Get::
Boss DD20
Morley Bad Horsie II
Quote by deepsal
its upto you my friend got it delivered at his home for 7500 inr divide it by 47 to get the price in $$
its the best se7en pickup

As I said earlier, I'd like to keep this under $200. $159 + import shipping for only one pickup is too much.

Also, I'd probably get a Holydiver or an Alnico Nailbomb before I get a painkiller (by the description of things).
Guitars:
ESP LTD EC407 (stock)
ESP LTD EC1000 (stock)

Amps:
Peavey 6505
Peavey 6505+
Marshall DSL100
Mesa Boogie Tremoverb