Anyone have one of these? I'm thinking of getting one. Description has it as a basswood body. I know some basswood bodies are light, which I dislike. So anyone having this bass, does it have some good weight to it?
a friend of mine has one its a pretty damn good bass go with it man
Quote by Bass First
Rump, a P-bass delivers a rump in the sound such that, similar to the rump on an African American woman, it is the highlight of the tone.
What I'm aiming for is the jazz pup setup. It's either this or the Squier Active Jazz 5 Deluxe. But the body appears thinner and the neck is thinner than the Squier.
i prefer peaveys over squiers quite a bit. and it looks better imo
Quote by Bass First
Rump, a P-bass delivers a rump in the sound such that, similar to the rump on an African American woman, it is the highlight of the tone.
Bass wood bodies are sub-quality.

The reasons for the popularity of basswood
is the light weight and low cost of the wood.

I got one off Craigs List for $40. All the screw
holes were stripped out. Set-up was almost
beyond saving. Mine is a Bentley. I think of it
as a throw away bass. It looks nice and doesn't
sound half bad and it only weighs 6 and 1/2 lbs.

Most Peavies have nice necks. They are low
cost.

It qualifies as a nice beginner's bass or a
backup, if you like it.

That is my opinion, for what it's worth,

Tabdog
Quote by tabdog
Bass wood bodies are sub-quality.

Tell that to Team J Craft.

also

????????????
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
I know that there are some heavy basswood bodies out there. I like some weight to the axe. If it's the same weight as my SR 405QM then it's good to go. I just got a Squier Deluxe 4 string and fell in love with the jazz bass tone. I tried with no avail on the Ibanez to the same tone. So it's either the Peavey or Squier fivers I'm looking at. And I don't do used at all.
An Ibanez SR weighs nothing at all, the Peavey will probably be heavy compared to it.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
i have one, it's a great bass, the b string is a bit floppy though, it is quite light, lighter than my fender jazz, but i would definately recommend getting one
what's the difference between a drug dealer and a prostitute?

a drug dealer can't wash his crack and sell it again
Have the active model, as the last poster said, B string is pretty floppy, but everything else sounds good. Its a solid bass, well rounded tone, just don't expect to get too much versatility out of it
Quote by gilly_90
Tell that to Team J Craft.

also

(Invalid img)

????????????

Squier uses Alder in their Affinity series, you think it's the same grade they use in the MIA Custom Shop?

There are crap grades of basswood and there are crap grades of almost every other tone wood too (lets not get into Agathis ok?). Basswood tends to be tonally neutral across all grades/quality, that's why it's used in a lot of lower end instruments.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Last edited by consecutive e at Apr 25, 2011,