Me and my cousin are both avid guitar players, but we each play our own instruments on the side, and we each want to learn how to play drums. Not excel in it necessarily, but enough to hold our own. For a first purchase would you recommend an acoustic or an electric drum set.

Important Side Note: my cousin was curious about the electric drums if it would have a setting to artificially create a steel drum sound. Is that possible?

Thanks
God Bless
It's not really a case of one is better. It really depends on what you need. If you don't mind making a lot of noise then an acoustic kit gives you the best feel still but if you need something quieter that can give you a wider range of sounds. I should imagine a steel drum sound is possible yes.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by jcmac502
Me and my cousin are both avid guitar players, but we each play our own instruments on the side, and we each want to learn how to play drums. Not excel in it necessarily, but enough to hold our own. For a first purchase would you recommend an acoustic or an electric drum set.

Important Side Note: my cousin was curious about the electric drums if it would have a setting to artificially create a steel drum sound. Is that possible?

Thanks
God Bless

the crappy First Act electronic drumset I have has the ability, so I'd hope that it was an option on others.

For convenience and variety for the sake of money, I'd go with electronic.

But I also don't have room for an acoustic one in my house, otherwise I'd be all over that, but that's just cause I beat up my electronic one
that and if you do go electronic, make sure it has an AC adapter, my First Act one doesn't, and it goes through batteries like some sort of Alkaline wh0re
E-Father to itorch, Andrea55, guitarxo and BlessedRebel15
E-Grandpa to Basti95, davrockist, KitKat555, Mark Roxx, Renegade_Lobo
E-Bro to slash_GNR666
I blog...

Quote by Andrea55

if you have to be quiet then get an electric but it makes it almost im possible to jam withh friends unless you buy a big amp for it.

feel too cramped on an electric, it feels better on an acoustic.

I have an acoustic, i just cant play it at night.