So I have this sort of no name (Granada) electric guitar with a bolt-on neck. It seems to hold a tune fine for a little while. The weird thing is, after I tune it and start playing, the slightest tug or pressure on the neck bends the pitch of the chord (I hope that makes sense).

I don't know a lot about electrics, but the neck is on securely with no give or anything. The sound is really driving me crazy.

What could cause it and what could I do to make it sound less lame? Thanks.
If you push or pull on a neck, the pitch will change, because you're bending the neck.
Are you sure the neck bolts are all tight?
Quote by littlephil
If you push or pull on a neck, the pitch will change, because you're bending the neck.
Are you sure the neck bolts are all tight?

As tight as I could get them.

Is it normal for the pitch to bend with a bolt-on neck? I had an old guitar with an attached neck and never seemed to notice the same problem.
This is pretty normal (to a degree). If you get into guitar set ups, one of the advisements is to adjust action with the guitar in playing position, not lying on the bench. This is because the neck can move a bit from flat to sideways. You could wave old SG's around and get a nice vibrato effect.

Sometimes players will use this natural flexion, they will deliberately push and pull on the neck to get the vibrato effect.

Some pitch change is normal, and more so depending on the guitar. It's a pretty thin piece of wood. I would not blame the joint, rather the natural properties of wood.
Last edited by Razbo at Apr 25, 2011,
I hear you.

Does that bendy-ness (haha) throw the guitar out of tune though? 'Cause, like I said, it will hold a tune for a little while, but it doesn't hold near as long as my acoustic.

I'm trying to get into electric guitars and learn the ins and outs, but I'm already pulling my hair out.
You might try some good tuners/machine heads. Schaller, Planet Waves and Grover are a few good brands. Tuners are often a weak point on the copies and even lower end brand names. And the nut. Learn how to cut a nut and you can make some bad guitars good.
Last edited by Razbo at Apr 25, 2011,