Hey UG,

I need to get a new skateboard, I've been riding a pretty crappy "skate-factory" one, which is basicaly a "wal-mart" skateboard and it's pretty busted now.

Since I'm too poor to get a new one I'm looking into the used market.

A guy is selling this for like ~40USD, he said it originally cost him like 170USD, he rode it for a couple of weeks then fell on his ass and has since stopped skateboarding.

http://img845.imageshack.us/g/imag0386y.jpg/

Creature deck
Venture trucks
Justice wheels

worth the money?

BTW I live in Europe, Lithuania so keep in mind prices here ar always way higher.
Quote by Roc8995
Kirk Hammett should just build a wah into his goddam shoes.

Quote by dyingdivinity
wat is pokemanz?
Quote by TheAbsentOne
I used to play THPS. That's really all I can contribute.

THPS was pretty rad though especially 2 great soundtrack.
Quote by Roc8995

Quote by dyingdivinity
wat is pokemanz?
Looks worth the money. Not a brilliant board, but that's pretty cheap as it goes, so I'd take it.
I love creature and deck looks pretty oké. I would do it, but buy new griptape haha
Jackson SLS MG(EMG 81/85)
ENGL Sovereign 100 watt 1x12"
Boss gt-8
Vox AD50VT
Next: Custom Explorer
Quote by ninja.kitty
What kind of bearings?

Dunno, dude doesn't know either. It was setup about a year ago by his friend.
Quote by Roc8995

Quote by dyingdivinity
wat is pokemanz?
for 40 dollars it looks pretty good, considering the deck, wheels and trucks are made by decent brands you should defiantly consider buying it.
Quote by Dizzy-D
Dunno, dude doesn't know either. It was setup about a year ago by his friend.
Just throw some bones reds on there and you're golden
Quote by ninja.kitty
Just throw some bones reds on there and you're golden

+1. I have Bones Reds. They're awesome

OT: I'd get it if I was you. Pretty good brands and $40 is a good price. As someone else said, get some new grip tape
ive heard that cheap 5-10 dollar skateboards are impossible to do tricks on

is this true? because im interested in maybe starting a bit of skating myself just for shits and gigs, but i remember trying to ollie for weeks in my garage with my 7 dollar walmart board and failing and just finally giving up one summer
Quote by piratemetalhead
ive heard that cheap 5-10 dollar skateboards are impossible to do tricks on

is this true? because im interested in maybe starting a bit of skating myself just for shits and gigs, but i remember trying to ollie for weeks in my garage with my 7 dollar walmart board and failing and just finally giving up one summer

Not impossible but they make it like 5 times as difficult. That's exactly why I'm getting this board because I feel like I'm putting in way too much effort and I'm not getting the results I should be.

There's something to be said for good equipment.
Quote by Roc8995

Quote by dyingdivinity
wat is pokemanz?
i remember i got like maybe one inch of air once... goddamn that was a waste of time though

i dont have a lot of friends that skateboard, but i want to just learn to at least ollie from somebody i know then actually buy a not completely garbage board. it seems like a fun thing to just bring along on a nice day when there's not much to do
Creature decks are the shit. Get it.
Co-President of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

Are you buying it online or presonally?

If it's the latter, spin the wheel or take it for a skate before you try to see how smooth the bearings run. If it's the former, get him to take a picture of the bearings and see if it's got much build up of grit or rust.

The wheels don't look too worn down and the deck looks fine, so it'd just be the quality of the bearings you need to keep in mind.

Sometimes it's a lot cheaper to buy all the parts of a board on ebay, brand new and put it together yourself, though probably not as cheap as this used one you're looking at. If you don't like the look of it, think about saving more money and buying some new parts and putting it together yourself. $40 might be a bit steep for a used board.
^ If you look at the pictures (which I only just did) you can tell it's been used either a) by a beginner or b) infrequently or c) not intensely.

That said, as I only just looked at the pictures myself, the bolts look VERY rusty and the grip looks funny... looks like the board may have been left out in the rain overnight or something.

I've never heard of Justice wheels (that said I haven't really been in touch with skateboarding for the past couple of years - don't know if they're maybe new, foreign or just not known around here); venture trucks are really only a budget level truck; but like I said, Creature decks are the shit; in the UK you won't get one new for less than £40 (I can't imagine so anyway) - but then if it has been left in the rain overnight it will be about as good as a £5 set up so it may be better to stay away.

tell him to give you the hardware specs (wheels, bearings, etc) and where he's been keeping it.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Honestly, it doesn't seem like its in good condition. The brands are fine but everything is just really rusty so it probably won't ride any better than what you have now.

For $40 that's still a good deal, though!

It's up to you what you want to do!
sim simma

who got the keys to my beema
Quote by JamieB
^ If you look at the pictures (which I only just did) you can tell it's been used either a) by a beginner or b) infrequently or c) not intensely.

That said, as I only just looked at the pictures myself, the bolts look VERY rusty and the grip looks funny... looks like the board may have been left out in the rain overnight or something.

I've never heard of Justice wheels (that said I haven't really been in touch with skateboarding for the past couple of years - don't know if they're maybe new, foreign or just not known around here); venture trucks are really only a budget level truck; but like I said, Creature decks are the shit; in the UK you won't get one new for less than £40 (I can't imagine so anyway) - but then if it has been left in the rain overnight it will be about as good as a £5 set up so it may be better to stay away.

I'm gonna go check it out tomorrow. If its been left in the rain I should be able to tell right? Like it'll feel weird and spongy and not pop as well as it should right? He said it's been sitting in his room for like a year, he only rode it for like a week.

Also creature makes some pretty wide decks. Can anyone tell from the picture if this is like a standard 7.5" ? I don't want one too wide cause I'll be flipping this thing around a lot.
Quote by Roc8995

Quote by dyingdivinity
wat is pokemanz?
Last edited by Dizzy-D at Apr 25, 2011,
Eh, doesn't look like too bad a deal. The deck looks really beat up, and mostly just from lack of taking care of it. It looks like it'll be lacking in pop, and will feel really unnatural and bottom-heavy.

If he doesn't know what the bearings are, then more than likely they're probably World Industries bearings or something, which have been horrid in all my experience with them.

Venture trucks and Creature boards are good brands, wheels are wheels. Maybe a bit big for my tastes, but I'm a street skater, and have a tiny board with tiny wheels and trucks, so meh.

All in all, for $40, that's not a bad deal, but it's not going to be an extraordinarily nice board. It'll be better than any walmart board. Just make sure to lube up the bearings, or better yet, swap them out with some Bones Super Reds if they're not already.
Last edited by SlayingDragons at Apr 25, 2011,
Quote by Dizzy-D
I'm gonna go check it out tomorrow. If its been left in the rain I should be able to tell right? Like it'll feel weird and spongy and not pop as well as it should right? He said it's been sitting in his room for like a year, he only rode it for like a week.

It's hard to describe but yeah if you just pop an ollie it won't feel very 'sharp'; if it feels 'dull' or 'soft' it's likely damp, you want a nice crisp 'snap'ping noise.

The rust on the bolts suggests it's likely been wet at some point and left outdoors (needs air and water for rust...); so do ask where it's been kept. If the bearings are rusty too it's probably been dropped in a pool or something and left outside or maybe in a shed to dry.

Like I said it doesn't look too worn on the underside so it probably hasn't been ridden much (at least not for tricking on) so he probably isn't lying about only using it for a week; I'd ask him how the bolts got rusty though.

I'd buy it for 40 dollars.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect