Ahoy UG,

I believe that in a community as huge as this, there lies a handful number ( or maybe more ) of admirers of such form of art as Comics (Graphic Novelas, mind you). My first interaction with it was in distant childhood, but my interest in it spiked some merely 4 year ago. My fascination of it was further nurtured by authors of such calibre as Neil Gaiman, Warren Ellis, Alan Moore and others.
Spending sleepless nights and tired days' ''researching'' , I would like to share with you with some of my thoughts that undoubtedly passed through all of our minds.

Part I:

How strong is Superman

Unfortunately, there is no straight answer to it. Main reason for that is because SM strength varied from one author to another. In the beginning he was stronger than any men alive, nevertheless, considerably weaker than he is portrayed today. The high point of SM strength was featured in 1949, when he moved a planet. But how do we deduce his strength? You really only find out exactly how strong he is if you see a point where he tries to do something and just barely succeeds or just barely fails.

But can a man, using solely only his hands, move large objects? Physics says no. Youd most likely break of a small part of the object. Imagine lifting a cake using your toothpick. It would prove itself impossible, because the toothpick would simply slice through the cake . The same thing would happen to SM if would applied brute force on the planet-- he would drill himself to the other end of the planet.

Therefore we would imagine that SM has a telekynesis form of power, with which he covers the whole planet and afterwards pushes it.

Furthermore, how fast did he move the planet? Unfortunately, we hit another clash between real physics and the storytelling, because if Superman (or anyone) pushed a planet hard enough to move it significantly in minutes, the acceleration would absolutely devastate the people, trees, buildings, etc., on the planet. Over large portions of the planet, the force would be sideways, which is exactly what causes damage during an earthquake.

Let's say that Superman pushes the planet for 48 hours ( because of his phrase "I'll see you in a couple of days!"), it somehow holds together, and applying 1/10th G, he saves the day.
If Superman is just capable of pushing the Earth at 1/10th G, It must be 1/10th of the mass of the Earth. That is 6 x 1024 kg, or, if you want to see the big number:

6,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 metric tons.

And this, folks, is stil not enough to explain the SM feats. Mainly because to produce such enormous power, a colosal amount of energy is needed. Where does this energy comes from, is even harder to explain.
Last edited by Arel at Apr 25, 2011,
Quote by Ichikurosaki
tl;dr

But yeah i read a bit of manga
and Scott Pilgrim

I believe reading manga is another verbal way of saying ''I have a Vagina''
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
read a lot of comics
scott pilgrim, every spider-man available, avengers
webcomics i read, "so you're a cartoonist?" "questionable-content" "Stupid fox" "coin collection"
And i write a webcomic called "open to misinterpretation"

also for the TS

Science of Superman
My Deviantart

Great Minds Think Alike
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
You sigged me, AND had an idea the same as mine!
I like you.

About my Lady Gaga/Pokemon parody
Quote by Mike50227
XD not bad

Quote by ExOblivione
You're my hero.

Quote by myevilside
I must say, i love it!
I think Scott Pilgrim is something as a cross bridge between Manga and Comics.

Nevertheless, anybody read serious shit comics? Like Transmetropolitan, Fell, Invisibles or other works of Ellis or Morrison.

Covered.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Superman is a fail redneck superhero with a bunch of unconnected random superpowers like most DC failures. You have wasted to much time on him.
THE SOLE PURPOSE OF THIS SIG IS TO GRAB YOUR ATTENTION TO THIS POST OF UTTER GENIUS
Quote by Nashag
Transmetropolitan is awesome.

Indeed it is, Ellis still gets moist when anybody mention Transmetroplitan.
Anyway try reading Planetary or Fell, they are briliant. Ellis has a talent for short-humorous stories, which he radicalizes in Fell.