Hey everyone, I imagine this has been asked plenty of times before, but I have had a search and can't find exactly what I'm looking for so sorry in advance if you've answered this thousands of times before!

Basically I am looking for a very cheap method of recording guitar and bass onto my Laptop. It does not have to sound very good at all, basically I just want to be able to record riffs, songs and ideas I come up with. A few years ago we used to just hook a mic up to a PC and record through audacity, we would record the guitar part then come up with a bass line to go over it. It sounded pretty bad but was audiable and was OK for building up ideas.

Something similiar to this would be fine, but I am totally unsure of what Mic to get - I am a uni. student and my budget is under £50.

I now live with a drummer and bassist, we have been playing covers and are starting to write crappy fast powerchord songs just for fun. The drummer has only brought up half his kit (like 4 pieces) due to space issues. I have been playing guitar for years but don't know much about equipment and haven't changed my gear in years. Back in high school we used to record a whole band on terrible old cassette tape recorders chucked in the middle of the room - this was really terrible quality but still good fun and we could just record jamming session and covers. Is there anything similiar available today?

In summary what I'm after is:
- a mic to hook up to my Laptop
- something to record the whole band (I know this is a big ask and probs not possible)
- it does not have to sound good

Budget: I could maybe scrape together £100 if we go skipping every other day.

Thanks very much, any help is appreciated!
Buy a Line6 Tone Port. Best thing to do. You CANNOT get something to record a full band. Save putting one mic in the middle of the room.

If you buy a UX 1 it comes with both an instrument in and a mic in.

Saving that pic up a guitar hero usb mic from somewhere cheap and plug it into your laptop. They are actually very good microphones.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Hey Thanks for the quick response. The toneport looks good! A UX1 off eBay might be affordable enough aswell.

As far as the idea of using one mic, you said using a guitar hero USB mic. Do all the models work with a PC - I mean the wii, xbox and playstation ones? I do not have any software such as ableton - would a usb mic be compatible with audacity?

Thanks again!
I use the xbox 360 world tour mic as my main computer mic. If it has a USB plug on the end then chances are it will work with your pc. It comes up as a normal Logictech Mic and doesn't see it as a guitar hero related thing.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!