Page 1 of 2
Hey guys, help me out!
Not sure if I should get Marshall MG15 or Line6 Spider IV?
I've got Jackson JS32 KV and I mostly play Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Kreator.
Also, should I get 15w now or save 100$ and go for 30w - how strong is the difference?
Thanks!
Last edited by metallicafréak at Apr 25, 2011,
Don't get either. You will be much happier with a Roland Cube 15 or Peavey Vypyr 15. If it is just for practice either of these will do. You don't need more than 15 watts to practice alone.
disagree, cube 30 is way better than the cube 15. The cube 15 sucks.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
wut and wut
are you on drugs
both of em suck get a peavey vypyr
Gear:
Peavey 6505 120W Head
Ibanez Rga32 (FOR SALE)
Laney Lv412a Cab(FOR SALE)
Soon To Get::
Boss DD20
Morley Bad Horsie II
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Er herm, choose different amps, stay away from MG's and Spiders.
The guitarist in my band has a Line6 Spider amp, they're not that bad as many people say they are, and it's sufficient for band practice with a drummer and me.
Quote by SuomiJakobstad
The guitarist in my band has a Line6 Spider amp, they're not that bad as many people say they are, and it's sufficient for band practice with a drummer and me.

you guys play a lot of punk right?

TS - budget? location? (country at least), new or used?, etc...
vypyr or cube but definitely not mg or spider!
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, SG standard, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Hmm ok, I thought those 2 were good enough.
But, I'll try cube and peavey vypyr when I get to shop. thanks
Punk is a genere in which you can get sounds(bad or good i dont know) out of the most shitty gear
take it as an insult or a compliment
Gear:
Peavey 6505 120W Head
Ibanez Rga32 (FOR SALE)
Laney Lv412a Cab(FOR SALE)
Soon To Get::
Boss DD20
Morley Bad Horsie II
From personal experience, I can only say anything but Line 6
Fender American Special Telecaster w/ Bigsby
Fender MIM Jaguar
Digitech Whammy-->Korg Pitchblack Poly-->Dunlop Cry Baby-->Danelectro Pastrami Overdrive-->EHX Big Muff Pi-->Joyo Digital Delay
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III Red October Edition
I couldn't find peavey vypyr anywhere online in my country, tho I found cheap but used
Roland Cube 30, and new expensive 30x.. It's 100 euro difference, is the x one really worth it? What exactly is the difference?
Well the Fender Mustang is actually pretty decent too. But yeah, I'd say Vypyr for the music you're describing.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM >> Maxon OD808 >> BOSS NS-2 >> Peavey 5150 212
These threads tend to be the threads with the most posts because everyone thinks they look smart by going against the L6 and MG and suggesting the Vypyr or Cube
Quote by J Mud
These threads tend to be the threads with the most posts because everyone thinks they look smart by going against the L6 and MG and suggesting the Vypyr or Cube

+1,000,000
Agile Interceptor Pro 725 EB EMG
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
I'm just going to leave it at a Peavey Vypyr or the MG. The MG sounds better than the Spider and the Vypyr sounds better than both of them.

But if you're looking for a straight up practice amp, I mean any of these amps will work. The only time you should really be thinking about "OMG THIS AMP'S GOTTA SOUND GODLY" is if you're preparing for a band situation. Otherwise, I mean, it's just a practice amp guys. All it's gotta do is cover the genres he wants to cover.

That being said the high gain models on the Vypyr are really hard to beat.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--

Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
i agree with stratman.

practice amps are for practice. they generally aren't going to provide the kind of tone that corksniffers must have.

if any amp doesn't sound that "great". try practicing a little more.

the mustang is okay, so is the super champ XD and searchbar amps.
I dunno regarding the practice amp thing. I mean when i had my avt i was tearing my hair out once i realised how bad it sounded.

I mean it's a judgement call, but for me you should get a corksniffer amp if/when you realise you need that quality of tone. Regardless of whether you play out or not. If an amp makes you want to play it's worth what it costs. If your amp makes you want to quit (and assuming you're brutally honest and it's not just your playing that sucks), dump it and get one which makes you want to play.

I don't play out and I have no problem spending money to get an amp which sounds good. Obviously everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but that's mine.

Quote by metallicafréak
I couldn't find peavey vypyr anywhere online in my country, tho I found cheap but used
Roland Cube 30, and new expensive 30x.. It's 100 euro difference, is the x one really worth it? What exactly is the difference?

depends on what condition the used one is in. I haven't tried the x, but on paper it looks pretty similar to the old 30 (which i liked).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Apr 25, 2011,
Quote by Tyler.Allain
Don't get either. You will be much happier with a Roland Cube 15 or Peavey Vypyr 15. If it is just for practice either of these will do. You don't need more than 15 watts to practice alone.

THESE WERE NOT OPTIONS!!!

the MG is the better of the two.
mojostompboxes.com
Quote by Dave_Mc
I dunno regarding the practice amp thing. I mean when i had my avt i was tearing my hair out once i realised how bad it sounded.
I don't play out and I have no problem spending money to get an amp which sounds good. Obviously everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but that's mine.

agreed.

there is nothing wrong with spending money to have a good amp for practice.

but it's not needed in order to have good practice was more my point.
oh sure, I agree

EDIT: that being said, you might as well get as good an amp as you can for the price. I don't think either the mg or spider satisfy that criterion either
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The facepalm stack was a bit of an overreaction...

He didnt say the mg sounded good or anything just ok for practice which anything that makes a sound is really..

When i started out i used a old karaoke machine for an amp because i was 13 and my parents didnt want to spend much money lmao.. Didnt stop me practicing

I know me personally i'd probably go for one of the better modellers for a practice amp like a super champ xd, vypyr, cube 30+
yeah that's what i'd do too.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Heh, well I've been using some shitty Roxy MG15R amp for a whole year, still it didn't stop me from practicing but I think it's time to get something decent that sounds thrash metal alike.

I'll be getting Peavey Vypyr 15 in few days, thanks for preventing me from buying the "shitty" ones. =)
Quote by metallicafréak
Heh, well I've been using some shitty Roxy MG15R amp for a whole year, still it didn't stop me from practicing but I think it's time to get something decent that sounds thrash metal alike.

I'll be getting Peavey Vypyr 15 in few days, thanks for preventing me from buying the "shitty" ones. =)

I would'a saved for an used Vypyr 30 if you are going the Vypyr route.

Either way, it's a solid practice amp.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
I disagree with the "it's just a practice amp, it doesn't need to have great tone."

I Know for me personally, if I wanted to practice guitar, and I had shitty tone, I wouldn't WANT to practice, I'd to play, but the ungodly tone I had to deal with would put me off. If you get a tone you like with better gear, even for practicing, you'll want to practice far more.

I'd say get a cube 30x, vypyer 15-30, and at absolute worst, get THE NEW VERSION of the MG series, the new ones are much better.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
I hardly ever practice using an amp anyways... It's way more beneficial to practice on an acoustic than an electric, as it were. Granted, yes there *could* be limitations if you're playing deathblahmetalbullshithatsnotevenagenreanymore but aside from that....

Just my opinion.
--

--
i don't even have an acoustic

But i mean I practice unplugged all the time. That's not ideal either, it helps to play through an amp at least sometimes.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Tango616
I disagree with the "it's just a practice amp, it doesn't need to have great tone."

I Know for me personally, if I wanted to practice guitar, and I had shitty tone, I wouldn't WANT to practice, I'd to play, but the ungodly tone I had to deal with would put me off. If you get a tone you like with better gear, even for practicing, you'll want to practice far more.

I'd say get a cube 30x, vypyer 15-30, and at absolute worst, get THE NEW VERSION of the MG series, the new ones are much better.

ok you obviously have a different opinion of what good tone is.

you disagreed but recommended the same amps we all did.

i agree that having horrid tone would put you off of practicing, or at least sway me towards unplugging the guitar from the amp before continuing to practice at the least.
Quote by Dave_Mc
i don't even have an acoustic

But i mean I practice unplugged all the time. That's not ideal either, it helps to play through an amp at least sometimes.

I was just speaking in generalities that as far as finger strength and finger fluidity goes, it's more beneficial to practice on an acoustic than anything.

I have friends that can tear up an electric but can hardly play an acoustic. They gots no finger strength.

--

--
i would suggest save your money, and buy a decent amp when you can. or, get a cheap as hell amp now and save for a better one for when you're a better guitarist. out of the two, i would suggest line 6 as they offer more versatility of tones, but i would wait. if you're desperate, i'd go vypyr, or if you can, vypyr tube
Quote by Cracked.com
Then they torched an Apple Store and made a PowerPoint about their experiences.
Quote by dtmaiden
i would suggest save your money, and buy a decent amp when you can. or, get a cheap as hell amp now and save for a better one for when you're a better guitarist. out of the two, i would suggest line 6 as they offer more versatility of tones, but i would wait. if you're desperate, i'd go vypyr, or if you can, vypyr tube

being that they are the same price, why would you pick the spider over the vypyr?
Quote by stratman_13
I was just speaking in generalities that as far as finger strength and finger fluidity goes, it's more beneficial to practice on an acoustic than anything.

I have friends that can tear up an electric but can hardly play an acoustic. They gots no finger strength.

It probably is.

But if they only play electric, what's the problem?

that's the way i look at it, anyway.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
It probably is.

But if they only play electric, what's the problem?

that's the way i look at it, anyway.

Hmmmmm.

You, sir, do indeed have a point.
--

--
Page 1 of 2