Sake of interest...

Was looking at chord shapes,the Gm for example,found 14 different ways of playing (shaping) it. The same applies for most chords,so the question is , WHY so many different shapes or whats the theory in general around it ?
Look into the CAGED system. It's just different voicings of the same chord. You can get the same chord to sound different by the notes being played in a different order.

Anyway, check out CAGED. It'll make more sense then!
Many different places to find the same note = many different places to find chords.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I'm no expert but I can tell you that with different shapes come different tonal qualities and pitches, which do effect the feel of the chord within a song.
speeed killz
Gm = G Bb D

On each string between fret 1-12 those notes appear once = simple maths:
3 notes, 6 strings = 3^6 combinations = 729 combinations

Even when you include the fact you need each note at least once and some will be unreachable you still have many combinations, probably close to 100
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Quote by Ovation e148
Sake of interest...

Was looking at chord shapes,the Gm for example,found 14 different ways of playing (shaping) it. The same applies for most chords,so the question is , WHY so many different shapes or whats the theory in general around it ?

The basic answer is because of the number of ways those notes can be found in combinations throughout the different strings. Since there are so many instances and combinations of notes that are possible, this also reflects why there are so many chord forms. Knowing your chords and the notes on the neck, you could probably create more forms than that.

Best,

Sean
Quote by spikedemon!
I'm no expert but I can tell you that with different shapes come different tonal qualities and pitches, which do effect the feel of the chord within a song.

Yeah ,suppose then it's like a steak... Different ways of cooking it,different spices,different sauces,different flavors for different occasions,yet it's essentially still a steak !

Not really...more like different cuts of beef. Steak, round, brisket, chuck etc...it's still all exactly the same animal!

All the chord shapes are exactly the same thing the same notes - they aren't different chords, so if we're using the food comparison it's would still be the same recipe, but you might be cutting things up differently.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
Not really...more like different cuts of beef. Steak, round, brisket, chuck etc...it's still all exactly the same animal!

All the chord shapes are exactly the same thing the same notes - they aren't different chords, so if we're using the food comparison it's would still be the same recipe, but you might be cutting things up differently.

I beg to differ .... The "animal" would be the "key" ,the different "cuts" would be the "chords" and the various "shapes" the "spicing/sauces/cooking methods" ....

Just talking rubbish , I get the picture ;-)
I'm hungry now...
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc