Hey guys,

I've decided that this summer I'm gonna build my first guitar, starting as soon as I can get the parts.

I'm not going to have a lot of machinery, but I'm going to do what I can, with what I have.
I'm gonna list all the things I think I need, and it would be helpful if anyone could point out something I've missed:

Body:
Wood, Bridge, pickups, pickup selector, tone pots/controls, screws, jack plate, scratchplate, copper shielding, solder, wires, stain, lacquer.

Equipment:
Drill, sanding machines, planer (need to buy from somewhere...), soldering iron, saw.

Now, this is a fairly stupid question, but how am I going to get the body down to size, in terms of thickness? The wood is going to be much thicker that I need, so how can I get it down to the correct thickness without heavy machinery?

Also, I need a template from somewhere, anyone know where I can order one from? Needs to be delivered to the UK. Or perhaps a print-out template? (preferred)

I'm not going to be building a neck, so good recommendations of where to buy necks? UK

I'm gonna get some mahogany for this build, and going to keep the finish pretty clear, maybe a bit of staining.

And in general, where are some decent places for hardware? (tuners, pots, bridge, etc.) Once again, UK.

Thanks
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Your list looks OK. To get the body thicknessed try and find a local saw mill or hardware store with a thicknessing machine to do it for you. I'd say go to warmoth for the neck. Have a look on Stew Mac, Allparts, Guitar fetish etc. for parts and tools.

Edit: and for the plans. You can buy them online but i'd recommend just grabbing a schematic like this: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/jwells393/StratBP2201.jpg and blowing it up to size.
Last edited by matt154 at Apr 25, 2011,
Quote by LezPaulEpiphone

Now, this is a fairly stupid question, but how am I going to get the body down to size, in terms of thickness? The wood is going to be much thicker that I need, so how can I get it down to the correct thickness without heavy machinery?

your local timberyard can cut it to the thickness you want.

Quote by LezPaulEpiphone

I'm not going to be building a neck, so good recommendations of where to buy necks? UK

www.axesrus.com sell necks, but i'm not sure about quality, never bought one from them.

Quote by LezPaulEpiphone

And in general, where are some decent places for hardware? (tuners, pots, bridge, etc.) Once again, UK.

once again www.axesrus.com however i HAVE bought hardware from them, and i can safely say they're pretty damn good.
free UK delivery too!

hope this helps xD
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Thank you for all your answers, very helpful.

Also, one thing I forgot to mention is that I don't want a regular strat bridge, it's going to be a stop tail, mainly because I never use a whammy bar and stop tails mean easier in tune bending and just more general stability (IMO).

My main question from here is about routing. I've never used one before, so a few questions...
How do I know how far to rout into the cavities?
How do I stop the router going further than I want it to?
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
1. Just work it out. For the control cavity, you want to route in far enough to let your pots fit through and to give you enough space for the rear of a switch. For the pickup cavities, just far enough to allow space for the height adjustment screws.

2. Make templates and guides, then use bearing-guided cutters.