My neck is sexy. My Girlfriend likes it. But i recently got a Warwick Corvette standard...bubinga, and it weights a ****ing tonne. I dont play so much, compared to most people here. Half an hour a day if i can be bothered. But after an hour or so, i get a sore leg (well, noticed that the other day), but worse, after 5-10 mins of playing standing it starts to hurt my neck. I didnt worry about it really. After all, im 17 and invincible. But the other day i woke up and it all caught up to me. Couldnt move my neck. Yay.

Has anyone experienced such problems with their necks? Backs even. My neck isnt that used to having weight on it. Are their ways in which i can strengthen my muscles. I have been looking at something to get me motivated to exersize (procrastinator), and thought strengthening my neck and sholder muscles (pushups?) may help?

Tl;dr version
Heavy bass, sore neck. What can i do?

Thanks for your help Mr bass forum
First, invest in a good strap. Heavily padded, wide, leather straps will take some pain away. After that, you just gotta practice until it stops hurting.
Quote by smb
Get a better strap.

my strap is 6cm wide
I went to the guitar store and its the biggest that had. Besides one that was much larger, but that had huge spikes in it : /
So its pretty much the one i have, or i join a black metal band.
Quote by 10crumsey
try raising the strap up abit. can help posture. dont know if that helps?

I have my strap just slack when sitting down, with my bass on my lap, and strap over my sholder. Ill try raising it a little, and down a little aswell, but its more the weight on the neck.

Ill probably just play 5 or so mins a day standing up, just to build strength. If that fails after some time, ill prob have to do pushups or something. damn
Bubinga 'vettes aren't even that heavy you big girl .

Buy a new strap online? Have a look at Couch straps or Mono straps.

EDIT: I've had some pretty serious back problems over the last 3 or 4 months, enough to make me sell my Spector Euro 5. My Bubinga 'vette is fine unless I stand up with it for a few hours.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Last edited by consecutive e at Apr 25, 2011,
6 cms? You can get much wider straps than that. Look into something thats around 3 inches wide or bigger.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Get a much wider strap than you have (you have a guitar strap frankly which will never do). And also stretch before you play. And raise up your bass a bit.
Quote by anarkee
you have a guitar strap

Indeed i do, never knew there was any different. Well, drasticly different. Then again, never seen overly wide ones in the shop so thatl be it. My mistake and i learnt my lesson lol.

Quote by fleajr_1412
Look into something thats around 3 inches wide or bigger.

Thankyou for specifing a size, gave me a much better idea on what to look for

Quote by consecutive e
big girl

Got a problem with my femenistic ways?
I shall look into Couch straps and Mono straps :P thanks!
Quote by Cantplay4penuts
my strap is 6cm wide
I went to the guitar store and its the biggest that had. Besides one that was much larger, but that had huge spikes in it : /
So its pretty much the one i have, or i join a black metal band.

You do relize that 6 cm is less than 2.5" right!?

For heavier basses alot of people use 3" or 4" padded straps, because the small ones, like the one you have. Tend to dig into your neck/shoulder which makes your neck/shoulder/back hurt like hell later!

Spend $20-$30 get a strap off ebay or craigslist and I'm willing to bet all of your issues go away!
Quote by MetlHed94

Well played, sir, well played.
I use a 4 inch wide leather with sheep fleece pad but it can still get heavy with some basses. Try one of these dual slider straps.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Slider-Straps-Dual-Shoulder-Strap?sku=365260
1981 G&L L 1000
Dean Razor NT5
Dean Hardtail 5
Dean Sledge Hammer 5 Ash
Dean Sledge Hammer 5 Mahogany
Dean Edge 1-5
Dean Edge Q-6 string
Dean Rhapsody 4
Axle Acoustic bass
MiniStar 5 string bass
Dean DOA Caddilac
Dean V-Wing acoustic
I should have mentioned that you should go see a Chiropractor. I could be the C4, 5 or 6 vertibrae pinching the nerve in your neck. It always helped mine and cheaper than surgury.
1981 G&L L 1000
Dean Razor NT5
Dean Hardtail 5
Dean Sledge Hammer 5 Ash
Dean Edge 1-5
Dean Edge Q-6 string
Dean Rhapsody 4
Axle Acoustic bass
MiniStar 5 string bass
Dean DOA Caddilac
Dean V-Wing acoustic
Quote by rexherring
I use a 4 inch wide leather with sheep fleece pad but it can still get heavy with some basses. Try one of these dual slider straps.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Slider-Straps-Dual-Shoulder-Strap?sku=365260

yeah,but He may not wanna look like hes harnessed to his guitar,and You cant really do stage stuff with that.
try a different playing position,and raise your bass up a little bit(try holding the neck higher)
Give a man a fish and he'll be hungry tomorrow,but put his ass in fishnets and someone will buy him dinner-Gene Simmons
Quote by the wako kid
yeah,but He may not wanna look like hes harnessed to his guitar,and You cant really do stage stuff with that.
try a different playing position,and raise your bass up a little bit(try holding the neck higher)

True, true, but when your almost 60 years old like me.......who cares as long as it's comfy.
1981 G&L L 1000
Dean Razor NT5
Dean Hardtail 5
Dean Sledge Hammer 5 Ash
Dean Edge 1-5
Dean Edge Q-6 string
Dean Rhapsody 4
Axle Acoustic bass
MiniStar 5 string bass
Dean DOA Caddilac
Dean V-Wing acoustic
Quote by Cantplay4penuts
My neck is sexy. My Girlfriend likes it. But i recently got a Warwick Corvette standard...bubinga, and it weights a ****ing tonne. I dont play so much, compared to most people here. Half an hour a day if i can be bothered. But after an hour or so, i get a sore leg (well, noticed that the other day), but worse, after 5-10 mins of playing standing it starts to hurt my neck. I didnt worry about it really. After all, im 17 and invincible. But the other day i woke up and it all caught up to me. Couldnt move my neck. Yay.

Has anyone experienced such problems with their necks? Backs even. My neck isnt that used to having weight on it. Are their ways in which i can strengthen my muscles. I have been looking at something to get me motivated to exersize (procrastinator), and thought strengthening my neck and sholder muscles (pushups?) may help?

Tl;dr version
Heavy bass, sore neck. What can i do?

Thanks for your help Mr bass forum

Get a wide strap I have a 2.5 inch wide strap for my bass. Its still heavy as **** but it helps. Also if its too heavy just play sitting down or on a bar stool like the original blues guys.

You can also sit on your amp or cabinet depending on what setup you have.

Nothing feels better than the guitar vibrating your tummy, while your amp is vibrating ur nuts
Quote by Twist of fate
Why must the fat die young
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.