Derren Brown is doing a show about the tricks and psychology behind faith healing, it's on tonight on channel 4 if anyone is interested

What a peoples opinions on faith healing/ pseudo medicine? Is it okay because it helps people cope in terrible situations or is it blatant exploitation etc etc.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
Hmmm might give it a watch I guess. Personally I'd like to see alternative medicine etc banned.
Quote by smb
Hmmm might give it a watch I guess. Personally I'd like to see alternative medicine etc banned.

I'd much rather see it die on its own.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
Yeah sure, in fantasy land where there aren't bastards preying on scared, deluded ill people.
i dont trust darren brown since he did that thing where he got someone to win 6 horse bets in a row, when in reality he just got so many people so that statistically one of them was always going to get 6 in a row. hes overrated
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Fender 300CE T-Bucket
Dean DOF ML [For Sale]
Marshall AVT 2000 valvestate
Ibanez modified turbo tube screamer
Digitech RP250
Placebos are powerful things.
This is the same. It just notches up your ability to cope mentally and willpower.

It's all twoddle when it comes to actually healing.

And Derron Brown is pretty rubbish anyway. Like that lottery show.. "I'm going to explain how to win the lottery and fill 97% of the show with suggestive talk that actually means nothing and then say the numbers as soon as they're read out"

Seriously?
Quote by thrash-it-up
i dont trust darren brown since he did that thing where he got someone to win 6 horse bets in a row, when in reality he just got so many people so that statistically one of them was always going to get 6 in a row. hes overrated

Why would that make you not trust him? Did you watch The System? The whole point was that he rigged it.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Quote by thrash-it-up

That's the point, though.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Quote by thrash-it-up

Uhh you do realise he explained how he did it in his own program?

The whole point is that if he hadn't of told us we would think he was an absolute wizard, but when we find out how he did do it we think he's an absolute genius.
I personally can't wait, some of those american faith healers have lifestyles that leave premiership footballers and even A-list celebrities behind, it's all about the money... it's just a shame that the people who really need to watch this show won't allow themselves to.

He wrote a blog about it here:

http://derrenbrown.co.uk/blog/2011/04/new-derren-brown-tv-special/#more-16127
Periphery, love that shit!
I shall certainly be watching it, I always try and watch every Derren Brown programme. It's just mind boggling, especially his live stuff. Any idea what time it starts tonight?
I am so excited for this! i have been looking forward to it for ages, i think that he has got balls to publicly do this, im just surprised no one else has done this yet.

i heard on the radio that he nearly got arrested or beat up or something lool
Quote by thrash-it-up

This idea actually came from a (now) well-known businessmen in America, who sent emails to around 100,000 people, half predicting that a certain stock would increase the following week, the other half predicting that it would go down. He just repeated this over and over again while discarding the half that he got wrong, and after 5 or so weeks sent an email to the ~3500 people (cba to work it out) who got all the correct emails and sent them an email inviting them to a $1000 seminar on how to predict stocks.

And like other people have said, he explained the system during the show
Periphery, love that shit!
I love Derren Brown, and am hugely interested in psychology and whatnot. I'll watch it if it ever appears on Youtube.

Is it a proper documentary though, or another of his mentalist performances? Because his performances tend to be 50% bollocks pseudo-psychology made up to disguise a conjuring trick.

EDIT: I think it's been shown that placebos work just as well if people know it's a placebo. So there's no real justification for the anti-scientific, backwards mindset promoted by placebos that pretend to be real. Let alone the damage done to people who use it instead of real medicine.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Apr 25, 2011,
Quote by whalepudding
I love Derren Brown, and am hugely interested in psychology and whatnot. I'll watch it if it ever appears on Youtube.

Is it a proper documentary though, or another of his mentalist performances? Because his performances tend to be 50% bollocks pseudo-psychology made up to disguise a cunjuring trick.

It's sort of both, I think.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Quote by whalepudding

Is it a proper documentary though, or another of his mentalist performances? Because his performances tend to be 50% bollocks pseudo-psychology made up to disguise a cunjuring trick.

This is his skeptic documentary maker stuff. I think he's teaching a man to be a faith healer... Seems risky.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Blatant exploitation.

I could just as easily claim to have the ability to cure a friend for free but these people have to make money off of it. That and it stops people from being able to confront the truth by hiding from it, but it's a bit more complicated than that.
Quote by thrash-it-up

You must have turned the show off before he explained things

I liked when he tricked a guy into giving a homeless guy his shoes
~Domino?

This life's too good to last
and I'm too young to care.

Musics
Follow me on Twitter, I'm cool.
Maybe you should look at reports published in some of the premiere medical journals that show the results of studies where "faith healing" was used. They generally have one group that doesn't get prayed for. Then the other does get prayed for. Those who are praying generally do not know who they are praying for & never actually meet them. It might be enlightening to you...
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Maybe you should look at reports published in some of the premiere medical journals that show the results of studies where "faith healing" was used. They generally have one group that doesn't get prayed for. Then the other does get prayed for. Those who are praying generally do not know who they are praying for & never actually meet them. It might be enlightening to you...

I'm not sure if you're for or against her but a link would be grand.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Quote by Domino
You must have turned the show off before he explained things

I liked when he tricked a guy into giving a homeless guy his shoes

Remember that time he tricked a woman into thinking she'd died in a car crash?
So...who watched it? I thought it was pretty crap really. Didn't really prove anything that wasn't already obvious.
I thought it was great.
I love it when Derren exposes people as frauds - especially by replicating exactly the things they do.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
I thought it was great.

And he did prove a lot of things that weren't obvious.
Quote by smb
So...who watched it? I thought it was pretty crap really. Didn't really prove anything that wasn't already obvious.

to you, supposedly. this will get the word out there.

derren is a really inspiring person. i found the scams really hard to watch, and the end was sensational.

i've seen everything by derren, and i've never been disappointed, except for that ****ing roulette shit.
"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
Quote by smb

I'd have liked to see a bit more...I was damn hard to watch some of it.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Was a good interesting show.

Favourite moment:

"You just can't swear in front of the bongo player"
Quote by willT08

Favourite moment:

He was a bit of a nob head, wasn't he?

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Quote by willT08

Favourite moment:

+1
"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
Quote by Jiggzy.UK
I'd have liked to see a bit more...I was damn hard to watch some of it.