I've played this amp in store and i really like it. I'm planning on using it for a practice amp and maybe buying a bigger Cab for playing live. You guys always seem to give good advice and know more things about brands and amps. What would you recommend?

Budget is around £400. looking for practice amp that could be used for gigging aswell.
Well...it might be a bit quiet for you whatever cab you use to be honest. But if you do decide that's what you're after *cough* I might have one for sale in the gear ads forum *cough*
What is the HT-5S? The ministack w/ the 2 8'' speaker cabinets?

Just get the head and buy a good 1x12 like the Egnater Tweaker cabinet - or get any other variety of 2x12 in your budget. There's no need for such tiny cabinets - the amp is small enough to the point where it can be at bedroom volumes until you crank it through that setup.
What styles of music do you want to use it for?

For home practice it's fine, but a loud rock band on a semi-big stage will be too much, even through a good cab with efficient speakers. And 400 quid can get you some seriously nice amps already.
A bigger cab or more speakers aren't going to make it any louder.

Post what kind of music you play so we can suggest an amp that will do what you want.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Apr 25, 2011,
I play alot of metal and shred, and i thought blackstar would be pretty good for that genre.
The only thing is I need a smallish one so i can take it to band practice (we all lug our gear in one car to save petrol, and use a drumkit thats already there). I was thinking about either getting the half stack one and buying a cab. I can't just buy a bib cab straight off otherwise we wont be able to fit all the gear in the car.
Quote by Speed-metal9000
I play alot of metal and shred, and i thought blackstar would be pretty good for that genre.
The only thing is I need a smallish one so i can take it to band practice (we all lug our gear in one car to save petrol, and use a drumkit thats already there). I was thinking about either getting the half stack one and buying a cab. I can't just buy a bib cab straight off otherwise we wont be able to fit all the gear in the car.

ok but unless you have a PA at band practice, you aren't going to cut through very well.

i'd suggest the HT20 head for that if you like the tones you get from blackstar, and a decent 1x12 cab or 2x12 cab.

the quality of the speakers and cab are more important than the size or number of speakers you are connected to.
That metal you play, how heavy do you go? If it's like '80s Metallica or something, take a look at a Hughes & Kettner Edition Tube:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/hugheskettner_edition_tube_25th_anniversary.htm
It doesn't really cut it for modern metal tones though. Still a lot better than the Blackstar.

Otherwise see if you can find a used Peavey XXX combo, they go for under 400 quid. A Laney VC50 would also be great and they're even cheaper used, but might be too big (2x12" combo, pretty bulky).
Lastly, a Line6 Flextone will set you back 300 or less. Solid high gain tone.
Quote by gregs1020

the quality of the speakers and cab are more important than the size or number of speakers you are connected to.

This is an important one.

A Thiele cab with a single EVM12L sounds better than a lot 4x12" cabs.
the edition tube H&K is a very nice sounding amp. i'm sorry i sold mine a while back.

good call duck.
No.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by Speed-metal9000
I've played this amp in store and i really like it. I'm planning on using it for a practice amp and maybe buying a bigger Cab for playing live. You guys always seem to give good advice and know more things about brands and amps. What would you recommend?

Budget is around £400. looking for practice amp that could be used for gigging aswell.

It'll be just fine in a bar/club situation if you can run the direct-out through a PA.
PRS Tremonti Signature (charcoal burst)
Gibson Les Paul Studio Nitro (electric lime)
PRS SE One
---
EVH 5150 III 50w / 5150 III 212 cab
Blackstar HT-5
Quote by 3volved
It'll be just fine in a bar/club situation if you can run the direct-out through a PA.
Yes, but you'll sound like shit because you'll be using half-decent PA speakers and a line-out--which are never very true to the tone of the amplifier. Why don't people buy PA speakers for amplifiers more often since they're very cheap? Because they sound shit with guitar amps.

TS, take my advice right now: do NOT buy a HT-5 - even if you're using two 4x12 stacks - for gigging in a rock band. I don't care what anyone says, it does not work. You will sound like a pansy. You will have no low-end, no clean headroom and no balls.

Do you like balls? I like balls. I like hearing balls when I go to see a rock band. It's part of the charm and thrill of going to see a band live. When you use a tiny 5 watt amp that sounds like a transister/solid state, you sacrifice portability and cost fpr tone and power. You need to hit the audience with your tone. That's why loud guitar amps sound so damn good.

With £400 you could step up to the HT-20. It sounds very similar but has a larger transformer and more burly power valves. You could also pick up a cheap clean amp like a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe on eBay or your local classifieds and then use pedals to derive your dirt.

The Egnater Rebel 30 is a nice piece of kit, as is the Hayden Mofo 30. The Peavy Classic 30 is pretty nice but a little outdated at this stage. There are quite a few amps to choose from. Just avoid anything below 20 watts. And even 20 watts needs a solid 2x12 or 4x12 to sound big enough and to push enough air/noise forward.
FWIW, I heard the HT5 head run directly through a PA last week and it sounded amazing. Make all the assumptions you want, Blackstar did a good job on that feature.
PRS SE One
---
Blackstar HT-5
Bedroom or studio.....great sound little amp. Not gig worthy though.
Quote by 3volved
FWIW, I heard the HT5 head run directly through a PA last week and it sounded amazing. Make all the assumptions you want, Blackstar did a good job on that feature.
Assumptions? No. This is from personal experience. The line-out on the HT-5 is better than most but it still isn't what I would classify as true valve tone since it's not driving some tasty speakers properly. The interaction between the transformer / power valves and the speaker cabinet is half of the tone from my experience.

YMMV I guess.
maybe it's not valve tone because it's not an all valve signal path?

Quote by gregs1020
maybe it's not valve tone because it's not an all valve signal path?

*drags out the dead horse and hands out baseball bats*
PRS SE One
---
Blackstar HT-5