so a while ago you may or may not know i purchased an epi G400 for £75

link: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1425249

and then a few days later found it had a killswitch

link: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1428133

now i've read in many places that the G400 sounds "muddy" at best, and while i believe this to be true, i doubt it'd be as muddy as mine sounds... even on the bridge p-up

i have 5 electric guitars (listed in sig) and none of the other 4 sound as muddy as this does.
ok so it may be the fact that i've got some 10's on there and with HB's i've heard that can sound fairly muddy while all my other guitars have 9's on (apart from the fender strat which also has 10's, but that's not muddy at all in sound)

my question to you genius's at GB&C is this: could this mod that someone done (not previous owner, he had no idea about it, must have been the owner before him) affect the tone???

if so, would soldering the wires work? as they're still only connected by electrical tape...

if not, how do i go about fixing it? or don't i...

and EQing my amp differently would be impractical, it's set up nicely for my other electrics and wouldn't wanna change it just for one guitar then switch back... though i suppose i COULD program a different thing in... or get an EQ pedal.

but let's pretend that isn't possible, would i be able to un-muddy the p-ups or live with it?

sorry for long drawn-out post

tl;dr = epi G400, i think the mod makes it muddier than usual, could this be the case?
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Quote by Dempsey68

if so, would soldering the wires work? as they're still only connected by electrical tape...

Are you trying to say, that everything in the control cavity is held onto the pots with electrical tape!?
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Quote by pigeonmafia
Are you trying to say, that everything in the control cavity is held onto the pots with electrical tape!?

noooooooooooo

just the wires connecting the killswitch to some other wire that links to the jack.

(pics in the killswitch thread linked in first post)
Soldering could help a lot. A bad connection increases the effective internal resistance of the pickup. The higher the internal resistance the more susceptable to tone suck (muddiness). Humbuckers generally use a 500K pot whereas single coils use a 250K. The reason is because humbuckers though hotter have a higher internal impedance. The interaction between load and pickup impedance affects brightness and muddiness.
It's probably your wiring. Bad connections kill your tone. Burt pots kill your tone. Wires that were heated too hot so that the insulation burt through kills your tone. Bad caps kill your tone.

That fact that you used electrical tape inside your guitar for anthing outher than insulating the center tap of a 4 conductor pickup shows that there is likely to be a problem with your technique. This is not meant to be a critisizem or a way of poking fun. It's just that everybody starts somewhere and it sounds like you are still a beginner. Beginners make a lot of mistakes. Even pro's make mistakes so it's not a big deal.

I'd suggest you remove your killswitch and see if that brings your tone back. If it does then simply rewire the switch. If it doesn't then there is probably a bad pot or a bad cap.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CorduroyEW
It's probably your wiring. Bad connections kill your tone. Burt pots kill your tone. Wires that were heated too hot so that the insulation burt through kills your tone. Bad caps kill your tone.

That fact that you used electrical tape inside your guitar for anthing outher than insulating the center tap of a 4 conductor pickup shows that there is likely to be a problem with your technique. This is not meant to be a critisizem or a way of poking fun. It's just that everybody starts somewhere and it sounds like you are still a beginner. Beginners make a lot of mistakes. Even pro's make mistakes so it's not a big deal.

I'd suggest you remove your killswitch and see if that brings your tone back. If it does then simply rewire the switch. If it doesn't then there is probably a bad pot or a bad cap.

'I' didn't do it... it was already on there when i bought it. as was the electrical tape.
i'm no beginner, i can handle a soldering iron, i just wasn't sure whether it made much difference or not...
and as i said, i bought it like this so "bringing the tone back" isn't an option as i don't know if there's any tone to bring back

Quote by fly135
Soldering could help a lot. A bad connection increases the effective internal resistance of the pickup. The higher the internal resistance the more susceptable to tone suck (muddiness). Humbuckers generally use a 500K pot whereas single coils use a 250K. The reason is because humbuckers though hotter have a higher internal impedance. The interaction between load and pickup impedance affects brightness and muddiness.

yeh they're 500 pots, i'll give it a solder then and get back to the thread with a report
disconnect the switch and see what happens. I suspect that your problem will be fixed.
are the pickups installed correctly in their rings? I don't know if the pickup rings in your guitar are strait, or sloped. If they are sloped, and sloped the wrong way, it really kills your tone
Quote by LeviMan_2001
I'll be the first to say I highly doubt that removing the switch will do anything to help your tone. Unless they have the switch in series rather than in parallel.

If the switch was burnt out or if the switches grounds are held on with tape then there is no question that it could cause huge problems with tone. It might be the problem and it might not be but finding the problem is easier when the circuit is less complex.
Quote by CorduroyEW
If the switch was burnt out or if the switches grounds are held on with tape then there is no question that it could cause huge problems with tone. It might be the problem and it might not be but finding the problem is easier when the circuit is less complex.

Well yeah, if it's in series it would definitely affect it. But I doubt they would put a killswitch in series. I'm betting it's in parallel and a switch not getting a very good in parallel would do just about nothing.