Well folks, it's that time. I'm heading off to uni in the fall and seeing as my current acoustic is pretty well rubbish (all laminate), I want to upgrade it. My budget is around 500-700 USD. I play a decent range of stuff, from Coheed and Cambria to CCM, even a bit of folk. I love Grand Auditorium bodies, but in this price range, I could manage with about anything but a Jumbo. Important note: I will be living in the dorms, so any ideas on keeping her safe and sound? Thanks for the help mates
Quote by SonOfPest
Its the Lydian mode; formed in Eastern Arabia when the Persians invaded England.

Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
try the sexolydian scale.
Tip for keeping her safe? Put a lock on the case. I learned that the hard way. Have fun!
blueridge br-143 (spruce over mahogany) or br-163 (spruce over rosewood) - both all solid, nice gloss finish, traditional guitar looks and both 000, so they're close to ga in size. my experience with blueridge is they sound exceptional in their price range - very martin-like but with a hint of their own tone. if you're in the u.s., maury's music has good blueridge prices and a great rep as a dealer. http://www.maurysmusic.com/

another guitar just a few dollars literally above your price range is the guild GAD-30.
http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/Guitars/Acoustic-Guitars/6-String-Acoustic-Guitars/GAD-30-Acoustic-Design-Series-Orchestra-Guitar-with-Case-Natural.site1sku513141000010000.sku
or if you prefer rosewood, the sunburst version of the GAD-30RE
http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/Guitars/Acoustic-Electric-Guitars/6-String-Acoustic-Electric-Guitars/GAD-30RE-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar.site1prod620822.product
you can REALLY hear the difference between the cleaner crisp mahogany GAD-30 and the darker overtone-rich rosewood GAD-30RE. guild GADs are beautifully made instruments with stunning finish, and they come with a hardshell case.

i'd suggest a hard case or hard polyfoam case with a lock. that way, if someone stumbles into your guitar in its case, it probably won't be damaged.

btw, the GADs have a 1 3/4" nut, the blueridges have a 1 11/16" nut. if you like blueridge guitars and want a 1 3/4" nut, their 12 fret models like this one
http://www.maurysmusic.com/inc/sdetail/blueridge_br_142/52957/103177
do have a 1 3/4" nut, as do their A guitars, but those cost more because the tops are adirondack.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Last edited by patticake at Apr 25, 2011,
All great suggestions above. Also many other solid wood guitars (in your price range) from Carvin, Seagull, Crafter, Wechter, Takamine, Yamaha, and Dean RSE model. All within your price range. Hit up a good store and try a few and see what you like and fits.
1981 G&L L 1000
Dean Razor NT5
Dean Hardtail 5
Dean Sledge Hammer 5 Ash
Dean Sledge Hammer 5 Mahogany
Dean Edge 1-5
Dean Edge Q-6 string
Dean Rhapsody 4
Axle Acoustic bass
MiniStar 5 string bass
Dean DOA Caddilac
Dean V-Wing acoustic
i'd take that list with a grain of salt - some of these brands don't make an all solid in the op's price range. also the dean RSE line are not all solid, and i was underwhelmed by the ones i tried. also when i wrote to carvin a while back, they didn't make an all solid model at all.

Quote by rexherring
All great suggestions above. Also many other solid wood guitars (in your price range) from Carvin, Seagull, Crafter, Wechter, Takamine, Yamaha, and Dean RSE model. All within your price range. Hit up a good store and try a few and see what you like and fits.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by patticake
i'd take that list with a grain of salt - some of these brands don't make an all solid in the op's price range. also the dean RSE line are not all solid, and i was underwhelmed by the ones i tried. also when i wrote to carvin a while back, they didn't make an all solid model at all.

I should have said Solid Top not all solid. Dean CSW not RSE is all solid wood. I did have a chance to play both in a store that also had upper end Martin, Takamine and Taylor. The CSW I played & sounded way better than most of those I tried. I know sound, strings, setup and playability is different for everyone but I'd buy one of the Deans for $700 way before a $2000 model of the others.
1981 G&L L 1000
Dean Razor NT5
Dean Hardtail 5
Dean Sledge Hammer 5 Ash
Dean Sledge Hammer 5 Mahogany
Dean Edge 1-5
Dean Edge Q-6 string
Dean Rhapsody 4
Axle Acoustic bass
MiniStar 5 string bass
Dean DOA Caddilac
Dean V-Wing acoustic