A few days ago I decided to improve on my alternate picking, checked around and ended up just practising scales.

Then I seen this video, now thanks to Paul Gilbert, I've completely scrapped my old technique of three fingers holding the pick and moved onto 2, like he says in the video. Let's just say, atm, after 30 mins of practising with this, I'm at my peak of playing in the last few months and it feels great! Now my picking is so much cleaner and requires much less effort. Now I still have a long long way to go before I'm a slightly proficient player but now I feel that I can.

Has a technique upheaval ever had this effect on anyone else?
Not really to be honest, I've changed my technique in a few subtle ways over the years but each of them has just made things easier rather than having massively drastic effects.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by mechanix92
Guitar Scale mastery- These website will help you understand and master guitar scales, keys etc and enable you to improvise in any scale or key. Number of musical genres and their corresponding scales are mentioned. Check it out. highly recommended.

http://78a26dwmua8bn6318k0bcasw59.hop.clickbank.net/

http://0cd8cq2pv7vdt0x9kkvcs30ses.hop.clickbank.net/

*reported*
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Has a technique upheaval ever had this effect on anyone else?

Of course.

Personally I went from arm-spazz picking to proper picking and that was massive. That and learning how to mute stuff properly.
Quote by Freepower
Of course.

Personally I went from arm-spazz picking to proper picking and that was massive. That and learning how to mute stuff properly.

Now, just in case Paul Gilbert has abysmal technique and I don't notice it, is the alt. picking he shows in the video a good example of good and proper technique?
Yes sir... my big upheaval came on bass. I came up with a modified “hook” technique… best decision I have ever made
Quote by MetlHed94

Well played, sir, well played.
Quote by Freepower
Of course.

+1 same here. and it wasn't until i found your videos FP thanks man :P:

also, i would down-picking a lot. I did not apply a lot of alt picking until i started learning some faster, and more tech. stuff (dream theater for me )

needless to say my tech, accuracy, speed, flow, and more have gotten better in the year and 5 months since i started to fix all this

Quote by Gunpowder
Thrashturbating? Most metal of all ways to pleasure oneself.