1. I've got a Bad Monkey I use for overdrive on the clean channel of my Peavey Delta Blues, and I cannot get a decent sound out of it. I'm looking for a more marshall-y OD tone, I love Duane Allman's tone in Live At The Fillmore East, and it would be awesone if someone knew of a pedal that could get me close to that. I also like playing The Black Keys and The White Stripes, so a semi-versatile pedal would be best. My budget is $100, willing to go used. Unless, of course, someone knows some magic settings for the Bad Monkey that turn it into a tone monster.

2. Why does my Big Muff sound so muddy when it goes into an overdriven amp, whether it's the OD channel or the clean channel breaking up? Is there a way to set it so it doesn't do this?

EDIT: I play a Fender Telecaster koa, It's a special editon only produced for a year or two with Seymour duncan pickups and a koa body.
Last edited by Frank_Black at Apr 25, 2011,
The Bad Monkey IS a tone monster. I love mine. Are you looking for harsher distortion? (post a link to what sound your looking for)

Because a Big Muff is a crap pedal, not to mention putting an OD pedal on top of another OD pedal is going to sound bad in most cases.
Quote by OceansBetweenUs
The Bad Monkey IS a tone monster. I love mine. Are you looking for harsher distortion? (post a link to what sound your looking for)

Because a Big Muff is a crap pedal, not to mention putting an OD pedal on top of another OD pedal is going to sound bad in most cases.

Sounds like you hate Big Muff for no reason. I like that pedal. It's really worth the price. True, OD pedal over OD pedal could sound bad if you're using cheap pedals stacking bad over bad won't make it good. Boost pedal over OD pedal wouldn't, but that's mainly for solo stuff anyway. I'd recommend the Big Muff, maybe you've just gone bad with the settings?

And well, I'm not sure if you need a harsher overdrive pedal, maybe just adjust the settings on the Bad Monkey or your guitar. What is your guitar anyway and what pickups do you have on it? There could be a need for slightly hotter pickups or something like that..
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Last edited by Sakke at Apr 25, 2011,
Quote by OceansBetweenUs

Every time I've seen you post you're just wrong.

Big Muff is great for what it does, but the circuit has been improved by a ton of people, there are great mods for it to make it do just about anything.

Also, stacking OD's can sound awesome, if you know what you're doing and not stacking shit pedals with other shit pedals.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Quote by OceansBetweenUs

Definitely NOT harsher. Go to ~9:10 in this video to hear the Duane tone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcpwMZKPsQM

And Black Keys: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-CukK3eYt0

Quote by OceansBetweenUs

The Big Muff is NOt a crap pedal. Not not not not not not not not not not not Not not not not not not not not not not not Not not not not not not not not not not not.
Not.

Not.

I'm not putting a pedal in front of it, it's just fuzz -> amp. And this happens with other fuzz pedals/amps.

EDIT: Edited OP with guitar.
Black Keys: Get a Musket. It's the King of Muffs.

If you want Marshally dirt, Cattybread DLS is the way to go.

Quote by bogg808

Quote by OceansBetweenUs

nothing in this statement is true. at all. not even in the slightest. i mean, first off, Big Muffs are awesome. need proof, check out the endless clones. secondly, a big muff is not an OD. thirdly, stacking ODs is a time honored tradition. some pedals are made to be stacked.
Quote by mcraddict81592
Black Keys: Get a Musket. It's the King of Muffs.

If you want Marshally dirt, Cattybread DLS is the way to go.

The Musket is way above my price range, though since the catalainbread isn't too much above used, I could probably stretch for it.
What is your price range?

Quote by bogg808

Quote by mcraddict81592
What is your price range?

Quote by Frank_Black
My budget is $100, willing to go used.

It was buried in the first post.
Ahhh, that limits you quite a bit.

Quote by bogg808

Quote by mcraddict81592
Ahhh, that limits you quite a bit.

I'm willing to go over a bit, I'd have to wait longer before I could get it but if it means I'll get a sound I like, rather then something I'll just sell in a few weeks I'll gladly wait.
if you can find the code, you can get a Catalinbread Manx Laughton for 105 shipped. i think it's IWANTMANX. the Manx is a modified Ram's Head Muff, one of the most sought after versions, with the mod being a Baxandall tone stack which is super versatile.
A tubescreamer (or decent clone) going into a fuzz kicks ass.
Of course, it depends on what TS and what fuzz.
I got a great American Woman lead tone with a TS going into a DOD Flashback Fuzz
Quote by guitarted
if you can find the code, you can get a Catalinbread Manx Laughton for 105 shipped. i think it's IWANTMANX. the Manx is a modified Ram's Head Muff, one of the most sought after versions, with the mod being a Baxandall tone stack which is super versatile.

This. Do it nao.

Quote by bogg808

Quote by guitarted

But, I'm looking for an overdrive sound. Can this do that?

(And how long will that code work? I won't have the money for a week or two, when I sell my old amp)

EDIT: And I quite like my fuzz tone already.
The Bad Monkey is mainly good for boosting an amp's gain channel - a lead boost. Most similar pedals will be. I would go with a Tubescreamer or Maxon OD-9 for the tone you want - you'd have to go second-hand for the Maxon, though.
A Big Muff has quite a lot of oomph by itself - adding ANY more gain will **** up your tone.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Duane Allman's tone is just a Marshall and a les paul with PAFs with the tone knocked back a little bit.

I don't think you're going to be able to get that out of the bad monkey. The BM just doesn't have enough gain by itself on tap, and it's not the right type of distortion. There are some other Marshall in a box type of pedals out there, but for the most part, they don't really respond quite like a real Marshall does when used at different settings on your guitar. Just my 2 cents.

Or just invest in a Marshall/Marshall type amp.

http://www.netmusicians.org/files/71-stormymondaymarshallhead.mp3
^just a plain old les paul plugged into a Marshall with the volume up.
Last edited by al112987 at Apr 26, 2011,
The Big Muff has a unique tone and you need to evolve your style to utilize it.

I would recomment checking out the Jekyll & Hyde. There is a cheaper version that is only the Hyde side, which is what you want for your Marshall tones. But the Jekyll side, which is a tubescreamer is a nice thing to have.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Visual-Sound-V2-Series-V2SOH-Son-of-Hyde-Distortion-Guitar-Effects-Pedal?sku=150485

or

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Visual-Sound-V2-Series-V2JH-Jekyll-and-Hyde-Overdrive-and-Distortion-Guitar-Multi-Effects-Pedal?sku=150481

You should be able to find them cheaper used on eBay. I got my J&H V1 for $70.
Last edited by fly135 at Apr 26, 2011,