Hello.
I want to make my first CD and publish it digitally on itunes.
So basically what I need is: 32 bit recorder for windows xp, something that makes quality 32 bit drum beats which is cheap, I need a mic and recording tips.
I haven't written alot yet.
An acoustic song which is almost done for the guitar part youtube link of it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm266L9Ge38
And I think I will release 4 other songs for a first album.
Anything needs to be as cheap as possible.
Also I need to know how I release something on itunes.
Well, what instrumentation do you plan on having?

as for guitar, you'll need a decent interface to record your parts with.

Give some more detail as to what you're recording.
Last edited by Majin Gaara at Apr 25, 2011,
Quote by Majin Gaara
Well, what instrumentation do you plan on having?

as for guitar, you'll need a decent interface to record your parts with.

Give some more detail as to what you're recording.

Bass, drums, rhythm guitar and lead guitar.
Even though I need a bass first lol.
Maybe I will play bass like on my guitar, will that work?
Or just get a cheap bass.
Quote by liampje
Bass, drums, rhythm guitar and lead guitar.
Even though I need a bass first lol.
Maybe I will play bass like on my guitar, will that work?
Or just get a cheap bass.

I've played around with some really good Bass vsts, as well as owning a couple (East West's Ministry Of Rock, for example) and to be honest, as cool as those are, nothing will beat playing a bass yourself onto your recordings. It's much faster and easier to get a good sound that way considering it's yourself playing to yourself playing guitar and its easier to follow.

As far as drums, There's several really good drum vsts out there. I strongly recommend Toontrack's Superior Drummer 2.

What's your recording budget?

If you have enough, I would suggest going for the PreSonus FireBox

That's the same interface used by Bulb (Misha) to record Periphery's album, except his interface was the FirePod (FP10) , which had the same stuff in it, just more intputs/outputs.

As for mics, I'd go with an ol' trusty Shure SM57 for Guitar/Bass.
There's other guitar mics you can search into as well. There's also really good vocal mics you can get that are around $100 or so.
Quote by Majin Gaara
I've played around with some really good Bass vsts, as well as owning a couple (East West's Ministry Of Rock, for example) and to be honest, as cool as those are, nothing will beat playing a bass yourself onto your recordings. It's much faster and easier to get a good sound that way considering it's yourself playing to yourself playing guitar and its easier to follow.

As far as drums, There's several really good drum vsts out there. I strongly recommend Toontrack's Superior Drummer 2.

What's your recording budget?

If you have enough, I would suggest going for the PreSonus FireBox

That's the same interface used by Bulb (Misha) to record Periphery's album, except his interface was the FirePod (FP10) , which had the same stuff in it, just more intputs/outputs.

As for mics, I'd go with an ol' trusty Shure SM57 for Guitar/Bass.
There's other guitar mics you can search into as well. There's also really good vocal mics you can get that are around $100 or so.
Can I use the sm57 for acoustics too?
I first need to record the demos and while I do that I buy guitar gear and a bass.
Then I'l buy mics and software.
This saving up time wil give me plenty of time writing an end to 1 song and 4 other songs.
Quote by liampje
Can I use the sm57 for acoustics too?
I first need to record the demos and while I do that I buy guitar gear and a bass.
Then I'l buy mics and software.
This saving up time wil give me plenty of time writing an end to 1 song and 4 other songs.

I would recommend using a good vocal mic for recording acoustic guitar. Most vocal mics can capture sonic gold if you position it right in your recording, imo.
(Usually set the mic about a foot away from the base of the neck or the body.)

You don't need an expensive bass, something in the 200-300 range would suit just fine. Not to mention, for recording, you can just record your Bass DI and just Re-Amp it later on during mixing.

Before buying guitar mics, I would recommend as well that you try to record your guitar DI and Re-Amp that to see how you like the sound of that. There's plenty of free amp sims and cab impulses out there floating around on the net to give you a decent library to choose from as far as tone goes.

Here's some examples:
Mesa Tripple Rectifier

Soldano

ENGL
Powerball
Quote by Majin Gaara
I would recommend using a good vocal mic for recording acoustic guitar. Most vocal mics can capture sonic gold if you position it right in your recording, imo.
(Usually set the mic about a foot away from the base of the neck or the body.)

You don't need an expensive bass, something in the 200-300 range would suit just fine. Not to mention, for recording, you can just record your Bass DI and just Re-Amp it later on during mixing.

Before buying guitar mics, I would recommend as well that you try to record your guitar DI and Re-Amp that to see how you like the sound of that. There's plenty of free amp sims and cab impulses out there floating around on the net to give you a decent library to choose from as far as tone goes.

Here's some examples:
Mesa Tripple Rectifier

Soldano

ENGL
Powerball

I have podfarm software.
But I think Im going to buy a marshall tube combo and plug it into some pedals.
Quote by liampje
I have podfarm software.
But I think Im going to buy a marshall tube combo and plug it into some pedals.

Then i'd invest in a good noise gate, and an overdrive.

You should check out the ISP DECIMATOR for a noise gate. You should also invest in a TS09 but it's not needed. Just a little gain boost to bring out your solos and such
Quote by Majin Gaara
Then i'd invest in a good noise gate, and an overdrive.

You should check out the ISP DECIMATOR for a noise gate. You should also invest in a TS09 but it's not needed. Just a little gain boost to bring out your solos and such

Im going to nuy a steve vai jemini distortion.
hey i have created a song called "Darkness in day light". im a one man band and i want to release a new album. plz listen to it and let me know. the name of my band is illuminati.
plz let me know as soon as possible.
to record stuff you need:
Audio Interface (M-audio Fast track will do)
DAW (Reaper would be the best for a budget)
Mic (SM57 is alright, though a better vocal mic is recommended for recording acoustic guitar)
Guitar Rig (Native Instruments software that does wonders)
Drum VST (Superior Drummer or EZ Drums would be awesome).

You can get away with recording bass lines with your electric guitar. In guitar VST all you need is octaver pedal that drops your tuning an octave down and there you go!)
Quote by SuperSlonik
to record stuff you need:
Audio Interface (M-audio Fast track will do)
DAW (Reaper would be the best for a budget)
Mic (SM57 is alright, though a better vocal mic is recommended for recording acoustic guitar)
Guitar Rig (Native Instruments software that does wonders)
Drum VST (Superior Drummer or EZ Drums would be awesome).

You can get away with recording bass lines with your electric guitar. In guitar VST all you need is octaver pedal that drops your tuning an octave down and there you go!)

What is DAW?
Quote by strandeddemon
hey i have created a song called "Darkness in day light". im a one man band and i want to release a new album. plz listen to it and let me know. the name of my band is illuminati.
plz let me know as soon as possible.

That's totally not my style, I hate that music.
But, I think it sounds decent for your genre.