Hello !

I am getting better at guitar, and I have what you call a "rig" (I think thats what you call it). Which is:

Visual Sound Route 66 (OD and Compressor)
Boss FRV 1 (reverb)
Behringer TU300 Tuner (yeah I know, everybody uses a Boss TU2)

I don't have extra short jack cables specially designed for pedals, so I sometimes use 3m jack between the pedals.

I have read that a some point you lose tone and volume if there are too many pedals or cables, and that you need a boost pedal (Micro MXR etc) to get it right.

With my setup, do I need a boost pedal ? Even if I buy extra short jack pedal cables on ebay ?

Thanks !
Last edited by alans056 at Apr 25, 2011,
You don't need a boost pedal, just get a bunch of 6 inch cables
for the average player, any tone loss from 3 pedals will be negligible, unless they are really junky. i guess if you're really worried about it just try and find pedals with true bypass when you buy them, but yea not a big deal
Quote by Sickness5080
for the average player, any tone loss from 3 pedals will be negligible, unless they are really junky. i guess if you're really worried about it just try and find pedals with true bypass when you buy them, but yea not a big deal

Cool thanks, and speaking about bypass, my Behringer tuner has In on one side, and Out and Bypass on the other.

What's the difference between Out and Bypass
Quote by alans056
Cool thanks, and speaking about bypass, my Behringer tuner has In on one side, and Out and Bypass on the other.

What's the difference between Out and Bypass

I have a different tuner but it also has these outputs. one will mute the sound while you are tuning and the other will not. I think "output" mutes it, while bypass lets you still hear the guitar through the amp while tuning.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Fernandes Dragonfly
Peavey Valveking 112

If I could write off your murder, I'd save all of my receipts,
because I'd rather you be dead, than lose a tiny shred of what I made this fiscal year - Dethklok
Oh I see! Thanks a lot!

And back on topic, I don't need a boost pedal I guess ?
prob not, all those pedals are buffered
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by alans056
Hello !

I am getting better at guitar, and I have what you call a "rig" (I think thats what you call it). Which is:

Visual Sound Route 66 (OD and Compressor)
Boss FRV 1 (reverb)
Behringer TU300 Tuner (yeah I know, everybody uses a Boss TU2)

I don't have extra short jack cables specially designed for pedals, so I sometimes use 3m jack between the pedals.

I have read that a some point you lose tone and volume if there are too many pedals or cables, and that you need a boost pedal (Micro MXR etc) to get it right.

With my setup, do I need a boost pedal ? Even if I buy extra short jack pedal cables on ebay ?

Thanks !

What do you plug those into?
and i think the boost you are referring to is for when people have like 20 pedals
Last edited by coolstoryangus at Apr 25, 2011,
Not unless you're using very long cables. In my experience it took at least 10 meters of cable with no buffering to hear a noticeable difference in tone with my particular setup. The easiest and cheapest thing to do is to just not use long cables where you don't need to.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Apr 25, 2011,
Only Pedal i've heard of for thinning tone out is the Whammy, you'd do better to buy patch cables instead of a new pedal...
I think you're fine right now. I recommend getting some short cables to patch your pedals together (I use two inch), but otherwise, you don't need to buy a boost pedal. As for true bypass and buffers...

http://www.jhspedals.com/jhspedals/True_Bypass.html
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
"What do you plug those into?"

A Blues Jr, why ?

Thanks to all for answering. I use a 6m and 3m cables so I think I shoud buy shorter cables :S
He wanted to know, probably because the amp is simply the largest percentage of the tone source in your rig (other than how you play, playing style, guitar, etc...).
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
I've also always wondered about cable length and loss of signal. Thanks for the advice guys.